So what the hell is going on???? re olympic feed

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
OK.....It was posted here the cities that should get the Olympic feeds on 593, 594, and 321. Called Voom TWICE and was told I am can receive them as I live in Madison WI. It is 7:50 pm and I have crap :mad: :no . Called Voom and they said I am not eligible. This pisse* me off to say the least. Either Voom or NBC need to pull thier heads out of thier rears. Is the Olympics something I live or die for ...no. But do not repeatedly tell me one thing and then say sorry," is there anything I can help you with?"

I can stand the bumps in the road as Voom pregresses but Don't tell me one thing and then tell me something else without having a damn good reason and the ability to explain it to me. this might be NBC thing But Voom has an obligation to let their customer know what is up.

:no :mad: bad form VOom.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
It started at 8cst here and i have a black screen

same... dish is reporting its not starting there hd feed till later so we might be in a similar boat... the west coast screwing us over again.

From what ive also read dtv channel isnt up yet either.

Hold on Boy's! Before you start dumping Voom. The HD feed of the 2004 Summer Games does not beging until 8/14...that's tomorrow.

Well....called Voom and they told me the Madison WI and Green Bay/Appleton Markets are not ....ARE NOT eligible to receive the feeds. This changed from this afternoon. Supervisor was helpful and I spared her my wrath but Voom need to get it together. 1st it was teh NFL Voom on 311 that was supose to start on 8/1 now it is end of Aug or early Sep. Now another FUBAR on the Olympics. Sep 25th me credit runs out I think DTV here I come. As stated before I could care less about the olympics but I have been misled twice By Voom on programming I truly care about. They need to get the right and left hands joined to the rest ofthe body and head and left their customers know what is going on.

Dissapointed in WI :no

devildogg said:
Hold on Boy's! Before you start dumping Voom. The HD feed of the 2004 Summer Games does not beging until 8/14...that's tomorrow.

Starts at 8cst on 321 today check your guide.

Okay, so I can't read. So let's see if you can do better. This is from a letter I received today from Voom. Bet you got one also, just don't believe I'm the only one who received it. Here you go:

"NBC has announced that, for the period of the Summer Olympics (August 13-30, 2004) the digital version of their broadcast will be replaced entirely with one-day delayed highlights of Olympic competition in high definition (HD). Consumers who have acdcess to this off-air feed will only see a 6- to 8-hour compilation of highlights and will not be able to view the network's same-day, prime-time coverage of the olympics or other regularly scheduled programming."

Hope that explained it for you. The 321 guide has been listing programing for the last couple of days.

Regards..

I just posted my experience in another location. But in short....I assumed that the locations that Dish had permitted, Voom was going to permit. I guess I was wrong.

Does the letter posted above by devildogg explain why when I tune to my OTA NBC HD station I get the "no signal received..." message even though I have signal strength 80 and quality 99. WTF is going on?!! Is anybody else experiencing the same thing? Are they saying I can only see day old highlights OTA and not the same-day prime-time coverage? Where's the logic in that? They're showing the opening ceremonies right now on the analog channel but I can't see it OTA in HD. And I'm not in a blessed area where Voom can pipe it down to me. Man I'm I getting pi$$ed. I've been looking forward to prime-time HD coverage of the Olympics for several weeks. It's like NBC is dumping on HD TV owners.

Or... is my STB screwed up? How can I have 80/99 signal and not produce a picture. This station has come in flawlessly ever since I got the Voom receiver.

mkwillia said:
I just posted my experience in another location. But in short....I assumed that the locations that Dish had permitted, Voom was going to permit. I guess I was wrong.

Can you tune to 1am to see if your location is light up by then? Just wondering. It is strange that they light up only O&O markets and the other markets were not because of conflicts with local affiliates. I wonder if they will light up those other markets after or at 1am (like E* and D*).

Sean Mota said:
Can you tune to 1am to see if your location is light up by then? Just wondering. It is strange that they light up only O&O markets and the other markets were not because of conflicts with local affiliates. I wonder if they will light up those other markets after or at 1am (like E* and D*).

They better (and im glad voom has done what it could) but if dish and direcTV have it come 1 AM and voom doesnt ill be real pissed.

Act locally!

Don't bitch at VOOM. It is not their fault.

The fault lies squarely with NBC/GE. They bought up all the "rights" to the Olympics in the US, and have decided they will parcel it out the way they see fit. They even bought the internet casting rights only to quash them.

Supposedly your local station controls whether or not you will be allowed to see them on 321, 593 or 594.

So, call them up. Call the local newspaper if it isn't owned by the local NBC affiliate, such as Milwaukee, WI. Get the word out that NBC has chosen to downgrade the Olympics experience.

Their foolhardy actions have rendered peoples investment in HD receivers worthless when it comes to the Olympics.

Is this a sign of things to come once the Broadcast Flag is mandated?

I know that... what im saying is if dish can broadcast to all those extra stations comes 1AM and voom isnt I am going to bitch. We will see what happens at 1AM but from what I have been reading from others we may not get it at all when dish will... THIS is 100% vooms fault if dish can proivide me with the signal (albeit not live) and voom cant.

If they do give me the signal come 1AM I will be very happy because they would have provided more that both dish and direcTV did but we will see pretty soon.

Just watched the opening ceremonies in HD on 321 here in Los Angeles. Like golf, it seems they have a fairly limited number of HD cameras. But the shots that were HD looked good. Funny thing is that I can only get 594 and 321 on one of my three boxes. Fortunately it's the one connected to the HD set.

I'm confused. I get channel 321 no problem. But channel 593 and 594 both still show the upgrade message (no picture). I live in Allentown, PA. My local NBC channel is in Philadelphia, which I though was listed as one of the markets allowed to get the SD feed. I'm always out of range for my local OTA NBC channel (antennaweb doesn't even list it), so does this mean I won't be able to watch any live Olympics coverage? If so, I am going to have to do some real reconsideration of my local cable company vs. Voom.

HELL FVCKING NO, I may just skip all of the olympics because of this too. I know im one person and its really not vooms fault but im still pissed.

HAvent had a confirm on dish but some people with D* are getting it now... but some arent so i dont know whats really going on there. regardless NBC screwed the pooch with the dbs stuff.

more than 30 HD channels and not one will provide live olympic coverage in my area ( Northeastern Pennslyania near Scranton ). What is wrong with this picture? I cannot believe this is an NBC problem as the channel clearly is an NBC HD feed. So what is up? I had to watch the opening ceremonies on my local cable feed with a crappy local feed while my very expensive HDTV set waited to get a signal from Voom ! It is 1am now and still no feed on 321 or 594. I am very disappointed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)