So what the hell is going on???? re olympic feed

dgmcdermott

Jun 14, 2004
No HD Feed

No VOOM feed here in LAncaster, PA. Did get HD via the local OTA channel with the 1 hr delay, but as soon as the ceremonies were over, the sound went off. It is still off at 0147

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 29, 2004
The South
No Voom feed on any channel in Atlanta. Got 2 feeds on the NBC affiliate though (OTA), SD and HD. HD looks awesome.

LOBO2999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 1, 2004
Cumming, GA
I am now getting the feed from D on channel 84 in HD but nothing from voom , But like I said I am getting them OTA as well.

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Sean Mota said:
So anyone in a non O&O market getting it on VOOM?

Don't know if this matters,but I am getting it on E* and on OTA and I do not live in a O & O area(Detroit Area).

wase4711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 22, 2004
Outside Chicago
Well, in Chicago area, your OTA NBC HD signal was the HD feed, showing things one hour BEHIND what the analog NBC channel was showing.
For me Voom Satalite signal on 321 was the same HD feed I was getting on my OTA NBC; although the OTA signal is better than the one on Voom 321..
594 still shows the "Subscribe to" message..
Plus, we noticed the analog channel had some features that the HD signal DID NOT; things like the population figures from each country, the number of athletes that particular country had sent, and some other stuff..kind of strange the "low tech" feed had features the "high tech" feed didn't..
Plus, I will NEVER buy another Sony product again, after being forced to suffer through that miserable, insulting Sony commercial over 25 times on the HD feed....I GOT YOUR CHIPS AND SALSA RIGHT HERE,,ASSWIPER!!!

techweb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 16, 2004
Medina, OH
Check this site to see you you're eligible:

To see if you can receive any programming
from VOOM: Please go to: http://voom.decisionmark.com
For Olympic Programming Eligibility, type in your account number,
address, city and zip code. Choose the state you reside in from the
drop-down menu. (It is not necessary to type in an account number if you are
not sure what it is, but you will always need to type in an address).
You can then select the "Submit" button. Decisionmark will check your
eligibility to receive NBC Olympic programming through the VOOM satellite
based on where you live. Customers who live in areas that are not
served by a local NBC station and customers who live in areas served by an
NBC station that is owned and operated by NBC (NBC O&O station) are
eligible to receive NBC Olympic programming through the VOOM satellite. All
other customers are not eligible to receive NBC Olympic programming
through the VOOM
satellite.

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
Not TRUE

whazoo said:
Don't bitch at VOOM. It is not their fault.

The fault lies squarely with NBC/GE. They bought up all the "rights" to the Olympics in the US, and have decided they will parcel it out the way they see fit. They even bought the internet casting rights only to quash them.

Supposedly your local station controls whether or not you will be allowed to see them on 321, 593 or 594.

So, call them up. Call the local newspaper if it isn't owned by the local NBC affiliate, such as Milwaukee, WI. Get the word out that NBC has chosen to downgrade the Olympics experience.

Their foolhardy actions have rendered peoples investment in HD receivers worthless when it comes to the Olympics.

Is this a sign of things to come once the Broadcast Flag is mandated?

Not true. Talked to 2 Supervisors at Voom last night and one today and VOOM negotiated the deal with NBC. DTV, which I can watch the olympics on in my Market, negotiated a deal with NBC to rebroadcast over a much larger area. Voom settleed for only being able to rebroadcast or broadcast on markets owned by NBC. I was mad at first at NBC but it is Voom that did this deal and decided where they wanted to broadcast it. It has been confirmed by the 3 supervisors I talked to over the course of the last evening and this morning. Voom needs to get theri information pipeline "fixed". First NFL Voom with an 8/1 start date via their website and calls to them now this fiasco. PQ has improved but it is unacceptable to have this F*** up this late in the game after getting mail and being told twice I would get them including early yesterday afternoon. :mad: :no

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 5, 2004
If NBC doesn't want me to watch the Olympics, then screw them. I have better things to do that sweat about their silly policy.

jagouar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 29, 2004
College Station, TX
Madtown HD Junkie said:
Not true. Talked to 2 Supervisors at Voom last night and one today and VOOM negotiated the deal with NBC. DTV, which I can watch the olympics on in my Market, negotiated a deal with NBC to rebroadcast over a much larger area. Voom settleed for only being able to rebroadcast or broadcast on markets owned by NBC. I was mad at first at NBC but it is Voom that did this deal and decided where they wanted to broadcast it. It has been confirmed by the 3 supervisors I talked to over the course of the last evening and this morning. Voom needs to get theri information pipeline "fixed". First NFL Voom with an 8/1 start date via their website and calls to them now this fiasco. PQ has improved but it is unacceptable to have this F*** up this late in the game after getting mail and being told twice I would get them including early yesterday afternoon. :mad: :no

This is true because I have friends here who are getting the feed on D*, this 100% vooms fault for not getting the same agreement as d*.

MattP-bgsu

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 29, 2004
Thanks Toledo, OH. I woke up this morning, and my local nbc channel is showing the hd opening ceremony this morning. I'm not sure, but it seems that my local nbc channel turned into the hd highlights channel.

321, 593, and 594 are all not workiing. Not that this is a big deal to me, but I thought I would share.

On cable in bedroom (locals only) they are showing regular sat. moring shows.

rondon600

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 3, 2004
This whole crap over who maps to what OTA signal has got to go. It does not account for people like me who may get the OTA ABC signal from Baltimore fine but cant tune NBC because a tree is in the way. Better yet when Southwest Airlines is stacked 10 deep in the sky coming into BWI airport I cant get an OTA ch to save my life. I should be able to see the program guide for any channel I can tune.

NBC- shame on you for not rebroadcasting the whole feed on 321 for everyone to see. DTV/CBS let everyone watch the superbowl last year in high def!

If its OTA its FREE. Dont add roadblocks to your receivers.

And a message for any cable companies out there (ie Comcrap) -you suck for not even allowing an OTA input on the back of your box. I cant wait for broadband over power lines so I can dump your cable modem service.

The answer for to all of these problems is for a TV signal provider to have the balls to step up and make the whole service pay per view. Thats right just charge me by the minute but give me access to every darn channel. (make sure you incorporate a sleep/pass out timer!!!!)

qwacker2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 11, 2004
In Huntsville, AL, our local OTA channel is showing the Olympic HD feed on the primary HD subchannel, plus a second digital subchannel showing regular SD programming. I know our CBS affiliate will also sometimes add additional subchannels (like for March Madness). It may be worth a OTA rescan to see if your locals have done this also.

I'm not getting any of the VOOM feeds.

jjplin

Supporting Founder
May 28, 2004
My local NBC digital feed being presented to me by Voom is absolutely fantastic. All morning great stuff. Watching the torch being lit as I write.

Thanks
Voom

Ominous1

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 8, 2004
All i get is olympics :(

I can't watch NBC, because all ,my local Detroit station is pumping out is the opening show form last night. I don't have their anaog feed anywhere.

woodbo

Jun 1, 2004
I thought I was on the list too, but I guess not since none of the three channels are coming in. Thankfully my local cable company (Cox) stepped up to the plate two days before the Olympics began and added the local NBCHD channel to their lineup, so I'm not missing out - but it's one more reason for me to drop Voom... Too bad really, I was hoping Voom would pull through, but they're going to have to do better than this. :(

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
NBC's Olympian HD Plan
By Anthony Crupi
In the Clear: NBC's Olympian HD Plan Comes into Focus Just 2 years after a US broadcaster offered a hi-definition feed of its Olympics coverage, NBC is bulking up its HD payload for the '04 Games. The Peacock successfully completed an inaugural run two years ago, collaborating with HDNet on its presentation of the Winter Olympics from Salt Lake City. This time NBC is doing all the heavy lifting itself, running a separate, delayed HD feed of the entire 17 days of competition, beginning Saturday.

With Sony aboard as sponsor and main provider of broadcast gear, the network's HD coverage will encompass the opening and closing ceremonies, and key swimming, diving, gymnastics, track and field events in between, as well as medal rounds of basketball and the men's soccer gold medal final. The HD events will be looped in consecutive 8-hr segments, thrice daily, on a 24-hr delay for cable and satellite providers. While some hi-def buffs have expressed disappointment that the Athens games won't be telecast in live HD, NBC Sports' Cameron Blanchard suggests fans are lucky that the Peacock is able to offer an HD feed at all. "This was a last- minute addition, basically," Blanchard says. While she declines to specify on why NBC seemed to waver in its commitment to HD, Blanchard says the network merely had been "operating under the constraints of the host broadcaster," Athens Olympic Broadcasting.

With just a handful of HD trucks, AOB only wired 5 Olympic venues for HD, although they are by all accounts the places where the most popular events are held. That said, NBC fully expects that all its coverage of the '06 Winter Games in Torino, Italy, will be available via a single 1080i HD feed, which means hi- def viewers will hear the same broadcasting team as their SD counterparts.

NBC cable nets providing additional coverage of the games, including MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Bravo and Telemundo, will not carry HD feeds, which will instead be beamed to NBC's 124 HD affiliates, covering 86% of the country.

Ominous1

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 8, 2004
And I'm rather not impressed with my local NBC station, or perhaps its the NBC feed, with the quality not being all that hot. pixilation is apparent on my voom STB and my HDTV capture card.

LuRcH1080i

SatelliteGuys Family
May 31, 2004
Manteca,CA
This is BullSh** my local NBC OTA has just fed me the Open Ceremonies constantly over and over..WTF!! Are they doing? I cannot watch the Olympics at ALL. PG says Swimming, Volley Ball , etc... Should be on. In my area I do not recieve the extra channels. This is SAD Voom.

:mad:

LuRcH1080i

SatelliteGuys Family
May 31, 2004
Manteca,CA
This is BullSh** my local NBC HD OTA has just fed me the Open Ceremonies constantly over and over..WTF!! Are they doing? I cannot watch the Olympics at ALL. PG says Swimming, Volley Ball , etc... Should be on. In my area I do not recieve the extra channels. This is SAD Voom.:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts