So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Seriously, why would they intentionally downgrade the Hopper's feature set from the ViP series? Especially for such a crucial function? Dish's guide is bad enough, outdated at times, wrong info, it's even worse when you can't create your own manual timer!

I've said the same thing about a downgrade from the Vip series. The one thing I missed when I had the 922 was the lack of manual timers that you could create on the receiver itself. You can create them using dish remote access and a sling adapter with the hopper ,but it is a little cumbersome to have to do that. I have to go online just to create a timer on the receiver, sitting next to the computer.

MikeD-C05 said:
I've said the same thing about a downgrade from the Vip series. The one thing I missed when I had the 922 was the lack of manual timers that you could create on the receiver itself. You can create them using dish remote access and a sling adapter with the hopper ,but it is a little cumbersome to have to do that. I have to go online just to create a timer on the receiver, sitting next to the computer.

And then hope that the timer works which I have never seen one set online work.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well after I got 221 on the hopper , I used dish remote access and set a manual one time time for my local Cbs station for 10:00 news and to go off at 10:30. It worked! I got the news with title and everything. But according to Vivek the DISH guy behind the hopper software , in another thread ,DISH is working on manual timers for the hopper!!! Lets hope that it is released with the ota usb tuner release. Then the hopper will be at least on par with the Vip 722k dual ota tuner module. The only way to make it better is to release a dual ota usb tuner.

I noticed that with 221 software on the hopper I could once again use sling. Last night I set a Manual timer for my hopper over DISH Remote Access and it Worked! So it looks like you can use manual timers over sling anyway. My only question is will it work once ota is added to the hopper for all ota channels and sub channels ,even if they have no guide data? If it works like the 722k did with sling and dish remote access , you couldn't do any manual timers on any ota channels that didn't have guide data supplied by DISH.

With my two ViP722 DVRs, note not K models, I can set manual timers for OTA programs off my antenna from the STB. I do not get guide data because I have grandfathering for no-locals. Both my DVRs act up every now and then, so I'm not sure they're long for this world. But I'm beginning to think maybe replacing them with two ViP612s might be the wiser move.

With the demise of ER and DH, it is rare that we watch OTA; but the feature, and manual timers from the STB, are important to us. We may want to watch a PBS program in HD (which sometimes really looks like HD), or some offbeat program from one of the other, smaller, stations in the area. And most of all, my in-laws watch a lot of local stations when they visit. And they (well, my MiL) know how to DVR.

How do I set up a manual timer in dish remote access?

Go to [url]http://dish.sling.com/
[/URL]
If it works for you, great. Now all I get is "Account not authorized." :(

And good luck using Dish Online. It says I'm not logged in, so I log in, and it logs me in, then logs me out. I have to try 2 or 3 times to stay logged in.

Last edited:
And good luck using Dish Online. It says I'm not logged in, so I log in, and it logs me in, then logs me out. I have to try 2 or 3 times to stay logged in.
That's normal for me.... unless I want Phoenix AZ locals mixed in with my locals in the Dish Online guide. ;)

So I called yesterday to claim my free Roku, and I decided to ask about the OTA adapter for the Hopper. The CSR first thought I was talking about the ability for one Hopper to see another, but then when I clarified, he had me pull out my Hopper to check for a panel with 4 screws near the AC cord. Now, I know that's where the OTA adapter for the 722K went, but I told him that I thought it was supposed to be a USB thing. And needless to say, the Hopper doesn't have that panel. He promised to check into it and call me back. This is why I check this forum for news instead of calling Dish.

Getting Hopper today hopefully OTA will follow quickly. Will miss some sub channels but not much. Installer running real late, just hope it's not because he is inexperienced.

Not even going to consider Hoppers/Joeys until we have an OTA module available.

Located in Chicago, we are spoiled by the exceptional quality of the local PBS affiliate, WTTW, Channel 11. Once it is compressed to hell by Dish it looks like crap. We also watch the ME and ME2 affiliates locally and they not only have incredible OTA signal quality in the Chicago market but the sub-channels are not picked up by Dish.

NO OTA MODULES - and they had better be independant for EACH JOEY / HOPPER! - NO JOEY / HOPPER in this household.

Then you will be waiting forever.

Not going to wait. Just not going to upgrade. We currently have 3 722K receivers and, with the exception of not having HD on a couple of sets, are very happy.

I also have Comcast, HBO on demand, and several other alternatives for watching movies.

Unfortunately, Dish just doesn't understand that the re-packaged garbage substitute they deliver for OTA on the local stations just doesn't cut it when you are in a market with an EXCEPTIONAL feed from PBS on one of the top 4 PBS stations in the US. The programming content, and QUALITY put out by WTTW, Channel 11, in Chicago, is nothing short of incredible and when it is viewed via the Dish feed is comes out as pure garbage.

So, no, I will not wait forever. I will simply never upgrade to JOEY / HOPPER until Dish gets off their butt and reconfigures the OTA capabilities to allow local tuners to be used in the HOPPER and JOEY systems.

Now, before you say just use the OTA input on the set, forget it. The family screws up all of the settings and I get "support calls" at all hours of the day and night when they have more than one tuner option on the individual sets.

The beauty of the Dish dual OTA tuners in the 722K series is that they function relatively well and keep everything simple: they have one remote to use and the surround sound system select the source with the 722Ks selecting the OTA TUNER or the satellite feed for whatever else they want to watch. It has taken 3 years to train them how to use a single control and all of the other controls are locked up so they cannot change something to "break" it.

If they bring the same kind of capability to HOPPER / JOEY then we will consider it, but we will not "wait forever," we will simply not upgrade and that's the original question posed in this thread: "So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?"

I responded: We will not upgrade because Hopper / Joey does not support OTA in the form we desire it - via a seperate OTA tuner. If they make it availble for only the JOEY, and it is not populated to the HOPPER, we will also NOT upgrade because it will not fit our viewing habits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts