Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
So my kids both got a XBOX ONE and Playstation 4 last year.

I don't think either one has played them in over a month. How do I know? I have their controllers plugged in my room charging. They have never asked where they are.

I asked my 11 year old why hes not playing the XBOX ONE and he tells me its not as good as the XBOX 360 and is boring to play.

What are they playing now? Well Minecraft on the XBOX 360 is still popular, but now most of the time they are playing Steam games.

So are you or your kids playing your new consoles or are they like mine? Collecting dust?

If you are still using them, what are you playing?

I still play my PS4 almost every day. The Xbox One hasn't gotten as much use though. I don't think there are a ton of family friendly games designed for the 11 year old audience. I just got done with Assassin's Creed IV and I play Call of Duty Ghosts or Battlefield 4 with friends online quite a bit. I've also been playing Dead Rising 3, Killzone: Shadow Fall, and Ryse: Son of Rome is on it's way from Gamefly. Every game I have mentioned is Rated M for mature (17 and up) and probably not suitable for kids. Unfortunately most of the current PS4/Xbox One library is for adult gamers. The industry as a whole seems to be moving in that direction. You might have to wait a little longer for more family friendly games like Rayman Legends to start coming out.

The only thing out right now that I can think of for an 11 year old would be Lego Marvel. I have this ready to go on Steam and it looks like a lot of fun that someone of any age could like. Knack on the PS4 looks like it could be for kids. I have played part of it though and some of it is pretty challenging. Minecraft is coming to the new consoles but I don't see much reason to double dip on a game like that.

Last edited:
He plays all games. Just rather play them on the XBOX 360 with his friends who don't have XBOX ONE's.

I am hoping he will play the XBOX One more when Minecraft comes out for the XBOX ONE.

My kids are still playing the wii (skylanders, mario, sonic racing) and I am heavy into battlefield 4 for the ps4! cant wait for more ps4 games to come out.

He plays all games. Just rather play them on the XBOX 360 with his friends who don't have XBOX ONE's.

I am hoping he will play the XBOX One more when Minecraft comes out for the XBOX ONE.

A lot of M-rated games like the ones I mentioned have frequent F-bombs, extreme violence, and sometimes graphic sex. I know I was playing mature games like Grand Theft Auto 3 before I was old enough but some parents don't want their kids to see that stuff. The problem for people trying to avoid that is that it can be hard to find quality games that aren't M-rated this days.

Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare is another upcoming game they might like.

My 11 year old plays them all. We tried restricting him from them, but with his 19 year old brother playing them all the time and him going in and watching them we let him play them. (And now he kicks his 19 year old brother butt.)

Thats your reason. I do not play much at all, but if I am playing online without friends, I use the One. If I am playing with friends, most have 360s so I use that. The ONE just does not yet have the vast user base of the 360 yet.

My kids told me not to bother with next gen consoles. They are hooked on steam, PC gaming and especially Minecraft-PC. I don't think they have turned on the XBOX 360 in 4 months

No doubt about it, PC gaming is great. You can probably get 3 or 4 PC games for the price of one console game if you wait for Steam sales and other online game sales. It's the best bang for your buck gaming you can do once you get past the expensive PC build or purchase of a manufactured gaming machine. I just built my gaming PC about a year ago and I have 149 games in my Steam library now and some more in uPlay and Origin. I got every one of those games on sale and most of them were very cheap.

No doubt about it, PC gaming is great. You can probably get 3 or 4 PC games for the price of one console game if you wait for Steam sales and other online game sales. It's the best bang for your buck gaming you can do once you get past the expensive PC build or purchase of a manufactured gaming machine. I just built my gaming PC about a year ago and I have 149 games in my Steam library now and some more in uPlay and Origin. I got every one of those games on sale and most of them were very cheap.

PC-Gaming-Master-Race.jpg

This is exactly way I didn't get the PS4/Xbone and why if I had won one, it was going for sale on Craigslist. There's no compelling reason yet to get a new console due to the lack of games and backwards compatibility. The few exclusives that are out there are so-so at best, and it's hard to find good deals on them. With my PC though, I get so much more. Hell, today I was able to get 6 very high quality PC RTS games for less than $5. Try to find that value in the console market. The last time I used any console was last night because I remembered I got the first chapter of "The Wolf Among Us" for free on XBLA, and while playing it all I could think was "Yeah, this will run SO much better on my modestly powered PC."

As I've said before, none of the new consoles will be worth buying until there's a price cut, as A: They will be cheaper, B: More games will be available, and C: The majority of bugs/inconveniences will be ironed out.

PC-Gaming-Master-Race.jpg

This is exactly way I didn't get the PS4/Xbone and why if I had won one, it was going for sale on Craigslist. There's no compelling reason yet to get a new console due to the lack of games and backwards compatibility. The few exclusives that are out there are so-so at best, and it's hard to find good deals on them. With my PC though, I get so much more. Hell, today I was able to get 6 very high quality PC RTS games for less than $5. Try to find that value in the console market. The last time I used any console was last night because I remembered I got the first chapter of "The Wolf Among Us" for free on XBLA, and while playing it all I could think was "Yeah, this will run SO much better on my modestly powered PC."

As I've said before, none of the new consoles will be worth buying until there's a price cut, as A: They will be cheaper, B: More games will be available, and C: The majority of bugs/inconveniences will be ironed out.

The thing that makes up for a lot of the price differences for me is Gamefly. I can rent new releases for $15 a month and play my exclusives. Even if there were no exclusives I can get AAA games when they are still selling for $50-$60 on PC. The price of buying those games drops much more quickly on PC but I don't feel the need to own most games. If the PC version is dramatically better or very cheap I will buy it. If not it's a gamefly rental for me. I definitely don't need both consoles yet but as long as I can rent on console and I can't on PC I will want one around. Once the big exclusives hit I will be glad I have both systems though. Plus my buddies play COD and BF4 on PS4 so I would want one just to play with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My 16yr old plays his Xbox One almost daily. Mostly FIFA 14. In fact, I'm about to remove the 360 from his room. Collecting dust. My almost 12 yr old still using his 360. None of the games he plays are available on the One yet. My youngest plays Minecraft and Roblox on his Mac, so I'm in no hurry to get him a One.

I play my PS4 almost daily. Been playing KillZone. Just started Don't Starve. That is an addictive game. Downloaded Outlast yesterday. That's gonna be a good one!!