Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I recently picked up a TBS5980 tuner for my Myth TV set-up. I've been thinking that I can also use it along with a laptop to align my dishes. My preferred operating system is Linux but one of my laptops is dual boot with windows. I know that Kaffeine has signal and quality meters but I'd like something more accurate like S/N ratio. Any recommendations?

Check out UpDateLee's stuff. You have to compile a custom kernel, which is not hard to do if you follow the instructions. There are links to everything over at rick's. Think it may be what you want. I think everything he has done works on the 5980.

I recently picked up a TBS5980 tuner for my Myth TV set-up. I've been thinking that I can also use it along with a laptop to align my dishes. My preferred operating system is Linux but one of my laptops is dual boot with windows. I know that Kaffeine has signal and quality meters but I'd like something more accurate like S/N ratio. Any recommendations?

You want something that also shows BER.

With that, you can rule the world!

If you use EBSPro on Windows, there is an Android phone app that works with it that displays BER and S/N ratio, so you can leave the laptop indoors (provided your wifi reaches to your dish!). Works well on my 5980.

Reactions: Psikic
I have been able to get EBSPro to broadcast the video data via the LAN but there doesn't seem to be GUI access to view signal info (at least I haven't figured it out yet). This is using a windoze desktop and a remote (LAN) windows laptop using windoze media center on the latter.
Having trouble with the 5980 on the desktop though, and power supply issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)