Software U547 on Hopper3

All models of Hopper will allow up to 7 TB

I have a 6TB Seagate on my H3 and it's not showing up or asking to be formatted. :crying I plugged it into the bottom jack, which is blue and I think USB3.
  1. I am rebooting (again) to see if anything more happens. Nothing more happened.
  2. I unplugged the older EHD. Nothing happened other than that going away.
  3. I unplugged the Seagate and (of course) the OTA tuner went away.
  4. I plugged the Seagate back in again and we're in business. The OTA tuner is back, and it's now formatting my 6TB. I really had to wrestle with the H3 to get it to discover my 6TB disk. :(
  5. I can't get my older EHD to show up! I can plug it in and nothing happens. I cannot view it since Other Devices only shows the new one 0% full. I can unplug the older EHD and the Hopper tells me I unplugged a multimedia USB device. Is this new feature semi-broken?
  6. I rebooted one more time and now the old EHD is there and the new one is not. See conspiracy theory below.

Last edited:
5. I can't get my older EHD to show up! I can plug it in and nothing happens. I cannot view it since Other Devices only shows the new one 0% full. I can unplug the older EHD and the Hopper tells me I unplugged a multimedia USB device. Is this new feature semi-broken?
Conspiracy theory: they added support for larger hard drives, but removed support for multiple hard drives! (It seems to me that those two things might be related. Perhaps Dish wants customers to use this feature to consolidate content from all of their old hard drives onto one new one.)

Perhaps Dish wants customers to use this feature to consolidate content from all of their old hard drives onto one new one
I've lost so many hard drives and irreplacable content from Dish over the last 10 years I wouldn't want to put all my recordings on one drive. And if the new upgrade ignores the old drives, how do you read old disks to laboriously copy to internal hdd then download to new hdd?

I tried downloading 547 today, but no go.

Reactions: bluegras
I've lost so many hard drives and irreplacable content from Dish over the last 10 years I wouldn't want to put all my recordings on one drive. And if the new upgrade ignores the old drives, how do you read old disks to laboriously copy to internal hdd then download to new hdd?

I tried downloading 547 today, but no go.
By only connecting one drive at a time, instead of having both hooked up at the same time.

Reactions: TheKrell
By only connecting one drive at a time, instead of having both hooked up at the same time.
Makes sense. Doable. But.... laborious. For a feature that Dish uses to sell its product (DVR) they don't seem motivated to make it user-friendly. After all these years he lack of file handling features (user folders, renaming files, showing file sizes, etc.) is a mystery to me.

Conspiracy theory: they added support for larger hard drives, but removed support for multiple hard drives! (It seems to me that those two things might be related. Perhaps Dish wants customers to use this feature to consolidate content from all of their old hard drives onto one new one.)

I have 2 Hard drives connected to my Family Room Hopper3 and both hard drives are showing up and the content can be accessed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: pattykay
Is one of them 6TB?

No, one is a Western Digital MyBook Duo set up as a 2 TB raid array, and the other is a 2 TB Western Digital MyBook. Are you thinking that the larger size is the problem? Krell, are both of your 2 drives externally powered? If not, it could be that the Hopper3 power supply is not powerful enough when both drives are plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
are both of your 2 drives externally powered?

Yup. PITA with all the powered equipment I have in my equipment :D room.
I wonder if the cap is a total of 7TB, rather than 7TB for each drive. TheKrell, how large is the other drive that you are trying to add to the 6TB one?

I can't remember! It's either 1.5TB or 2TB. So in either case the total would be over 7. Nevertheless, I doubt that Dish would make that a limit for the total of all drives rather than for each drive. I believe these EHDs stand on their own and can be independently connected.

Heads up, the 8 TB Seagate drive I bought is not recognized by my Hopper 3. So I guess I will be looking for a 6 TB drive next (since I’m not sure 7 TB drives exists, but 5 TB drives do.)

I was hoping it would recognize it even if it could use only 7 TB of the drive.

Do you have other EHD's connected?
No, it was the only EHD connected. I also tried a DiskPart "clean" to wipe out the drive partitioning from Seagate just in case. It doesn't see the 8 TB drive. Windows 10 saw it just fine, as did my Denon AVR, just not the Hopper.

On a different, "Blast from the Past" not, the @&^#%$@&^#$% Guide Bug is back on the Hopper 3. If you have the 4K Channel 540-xx in your Guide favorites, pressing Guide brings up the channels you selected with channel 540 on the bottom and you can't navigate away from that section of the Guide.

did you try changing the guide from large font to small or small to large. That has always allowed me to get the full guide after I was locked on the guide.

No, it was the only EHD connected. I also tried a DiskPart "clean" to wipe out the drive partitioning from Seagate just in case. It doesn't see the 8 TB drive. Windows 10 saw it just fine, as did my Denon AVR, just not the Hopper.

On a different, "Blast from the Past" not, the @&^#%$@&^#$% Guide Bug is back on the Hopper 3. If you have the 4K Channel 540-xx in your Guide favorites, pressing Guide brings up the channels you selected with channel 540 on the bottom and you can't navigate away from that section of the Guide.
Did U548 fix these problems?

Reactions: TheKrell
My mistake. Since you posted in this thread, I thought that your problems started with U547. Perhaps if you had posted in the U548 thread... U548
I guess I can’t even keep up with the Hopper versions, I apologize for thinking that I had the same version today as yesterday.

So, let me head downstairs to find out!

Edit: Yes, the Guide with the 540-xx channels is behaving normally under the U548 10-Mar-2020. Thanks for the heads-up, crodrules !

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts