Software update keeps restarting, please help

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
I purchased a 921 yesterday (used). Its hooked up to my Dish 500 with DishPro Plus LNBs, pointing at 110/119. The signal strengths for 110/119 are 92/100 respectively.

It works OK and shows the free NASA channel and a few others (I haven't subscribed it yet). But I'd like to get the software updated from L2.73 to L2.74.

The power light has been blinking for hours. I checked the progress screen (Menu 6, 7) and it keeps going part way to 29 and then starts over at 1 (never gets all the way through step 29) :confused: It doesn't always restart at the same point.

I have done a "check switch" and its OK. Also, I have tried taking out the DishPro Plus Separator and running 2 separate satellite cables to the receiver inputs. Still no L2.74.

I've tried everything I know. Any suggestions on how to get it to complete the update?

I'd just leave it alone for a solid hour if you haven't already as some software updates seem to take a while to load. Other than that I can't suggest anything else.

It was flashing last night when I went to sleep. When I woke up, 7 hours later, it was still flashing! It had 7 hours of standby time to get the download.

I've also tried unplugging it for 30 minutes and then plugging it back in. It automatically re-attempts the download with no success.

Any ideas?

yea, swap the dpp lnbf with a dp lnb.... run two lines (temparary)... Take the download... (get rid of two lines) Put Dpp LNBF back up... and use separator.. Do check switch... That should fix your problem :)

it sounds like you dont have the dpp portion of the software yet :)

goaliebob99 said:
yea, swap the dpp lnbf with a dp lnb.... run two lines (temparary)... Take the download... (get rid of two lines) Put Dpp LNBF back up... and use separator.. Do check switch... That should fix your problem :)

it sounds like you dont have the dpp portion of the software yet :)
I bought the 921 used, so it already has L2.43 and the switch check shows that it recognizes the DPP Twin. It receives both 110 and 119, and it displays the few channels Dish lets you watch before you subscribe. Could it do this without already having the DPP software?

Other than the blinking green light all the time (and the known L2.73 bugs), the 921 works OK. But I'd really like to get it to take L2.74 with all the fixes. And I don't want to activate it until I know its not a lemon.

Last edited:
brettbolt said:
I bought the 921 used, so it already has L2.43 and the switch check shows that it recognizes the DPP Twin. It receives both 110 and 119, and it displays the few channels Dish lets you watch before you subscribe. Could it do this without already having the DPP software?

Other than the blinking green light all the time (and the known L2.43 bugs), the 921 works OK. But I'd really like to get it to take L.244 with all the fixes. And I don't want to activate it until I know its not a lemon (got it via eBay).

yes it could, but it should allready have it... if your just one sw version down.. this is weird..

Something is corrupted with this receiver.

Try this:

- Disconnect the satellite feed, run check switch to clear the switch matrix.
- Go into the menu and hit 6-6-Yes to reset to factory defaults.
- Unplug the power cord and wait 30 seconds, plug it back it and let it reboot. (hard reboot)
- Connect the satellite switch and run check switch, once finished running the check switch do another hard reboot.

RandallA said:
Try this:
- Disconnect the satellite feed, run check switch to clear the switch matrix.
- Go into the menu and hit 6-6-Yes to reset to factory defaults.
- Unplug the power cord and wait 30 seconds, plug it back it and let it reboot. (hard reboot)
- Connect the satellite switch and run check switch, once finished running the check switch do another hard reboot.
I just did that. 100/119 are still OK now. Before I did this there was an "X" in the 3rd column, and now it is empty. This is good, because nothing is connected to the input port of the DPP Twin LNB (just the two output lines to my 501 and 921).

Now the bad news: I just checked the System Info screen and now it shows "ERROR" superimposed over the version number. Also, where it used to say "Date" in the Program Guide is now jibberish.

When I press the power button on the remote, both the "SD" and "HD" lights go on. Pressing power again does nothing, and it will no longer display video on any channel, local or sat. (Yes, both sat inputs are connected).

Am I SOL?

Last edited:
That's very weird. I think this receiver is bad and you'll probably need to call Dish and see if they have some magic to make it work again but most likely it's toasted.

After I lost all video I called them. They walked me through some tests and came to the same conclusion - its dead. The tech said that I shouldn't have done the reset to defaults. I asked why it was in the menus at all if it would further corrupt the system?

Fortunately the 921 is less than 1 year old. The advanced tech guy wasn't sure if the warranty was transferrable. He said the only way to find out would be to activate and add it to my existing account. So I said OK and he activated it. After holding for about 5 minutes he informed me that it was still eligible for warranty service! So they will let me exchange the 921 for one that works, I just have to pay shipping and an extra receiver fee for a week or so. Oh well, better than buying a new HD PVR.

Thank you all for your help.

Good, at least you're getting a replacement.

Everytime I have a receiver that is giving some strange problems, I do the factory reset and it usually brings the receiver back to normal. So I don't understand why the CSR said that. The only thing you lose are the Fav. lists as far as I know.

RandallA said:
Everytime I have a receiver that is giving some strange problems, I do the factory reset and it usually brings the receiver back to normal. So I don't understand why the CSR said that. The only thing you lose are the Fav. lists as far as I know.
You're right, upon reflection I think I misunderstood and miscommunicated here what the tech was saying. Now I think the reset to factory defaults somehow helped it detect that the software was already corrupt (due to failed upgrade attempts). Then upon detecting corrupted software, it disabled video.

The guy I purchased it from said it worked fine, but I would need to reset it periodically. When I asked for a cash receipt he wrote a big "AS IS" on it. That was a red flag and I should have walked away from the deal at that point. Lesson learned.

On page 127 of the 921 User's Guide it says "The warranty extends only to the original user of the equipment ..." So they were not legally required to cover my system. Maybe being a Dish customer for over 8 years helped me here? All I know is that I described my experience well without getting upset. I helped him imagine how it would feel if the same thing happed to him.

He really tried to talk me into the 622 for $299 deal. But I don't want my options limited by an 18 month lease, especially while they're still working out the bugs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts