Software Version 6.16

I may or may not be having lip sync issues since getting 616. It's hard to tell because for one thing, it's only on certain programs on certain channels, and for another thing, the time period roughly coincides with my HDMI port breaking (I mean physically breaking) and thus me switching to an optical cable for sound.

Have had 6.16 for a few days now. Thought I would report an OTA tuner problem I had last night.

I had extended the recording time of Grays Anatomy by 15 min for the pres. speech. I guess ABC didn't carry it as Grays appeared to finish by 10:00. Anyway, my wife tried to change to another OTA digital channel (NBC/ER) and the DO YOU WANT TO STOP RECORDING...... message came up. She said YES and it changed channels. But all we saw was a black screen. Turns out, ALL of the OTA channels were not coming in. But the recording was fine so it must have happened when she canceled the recording.

Not wanting to reboot unless I HAD too I played around for a bit and noticed that merely ADDING A LOCAL in the setup area made the tuner work again.

I had never seen this type of thing happen before.

heh, for us it was BOTH.. so it didn't matter which I picked :)

I think L616 did a number on my 722 last night. I just got the upgrade overnight. It all went to heck as soon as scheduled recordings were to begin. I had done a check switch earlier in the day to get an updated guide and I usually do so after a software update anyway. I did soft and hard reboots for a couple of hours, as well as Check Switches, and kept getting the 004 Error. Every now and then I could get the use of one sat tuner, but never the second or the OTA tuner. I was about to give up and call E* to exchange the receiver when I decided to give it another go. This time I left the receiver unplugged for 30 minutes. When I plugged it back in it took an extraordinary length of time to reboot, cycling through a number of 61.5 transponders before settling on one, TP 7 iirc. Next it took a very long time to go through the 1 of 5 getting signal routine, staying on step 5 of 5 for at least 10 minutes. After that it downloaded the guide in record time and all seems well since. Very strange behavior for a receiver I've never had trouble with before the software upgrade.

Did 6.16 kill my 622?

I got 6.16 on Wednesday evening. Unknown to me, my kids had recorderd 2 events on the DVR. At the same time I was transfering programs from the DVR to the EHD. In the middle of all that, the receiver decided to download 6.16. It came back for about 5 minutes and then rebooted. It hasn't been stable since then.

I've been able to get it up and running for just a few minutes before it dies again. I've tried hard reboots, soft reboots, just about everything I can think of. It seemed to be running very hot before it died.

Right now I have it unplugged and letting it cool down before trying again this evening.

Bummer. I've only had this unit since August 2008, not even 5 months.

More problems in St. Louis

We have 2 ViP722's which until recently were both running L614.

My living room 722 has had the audio dropout and freezing issue for a long time, but the bedroom 722 was fine until it loaded L616 a week ago. Now the bedroom 722 is just as screwed up as the living room 722 (which as of today is still on L614).

Only recordings from CBS(KMOV) and NBC(KSDK) are affected that I am aware of, which unfortunately covers the bulk of what we record. I wish Dish would get their act together on this one. Chuck and SVU are nigh unwatchable.

-OD

p.s. Forgot to mention we receive our locals via SAT, not OTA.

Last edited:
It looks like Dish Network "spools" out new software versions from west to east. Has anyone else on the East Coast with a VIP722 box gotten L6.16 yet?

If so, what city/state are you in? If you have, tell us how it is working with the audio dropout problem when you either playback a "Timer" recording .... or you pause and then resume a "Live" program after a few minutes.
I just got 616 in the Raleigh/Durham market area and I'm very familiar with the sound dropout problem on recorded/rewound programming - especially local HD.

616 appears to have solved the problem for me.

L616 with 722 over a week now, don't recall either audio dropouts or pixelization in that time. Nice improvement over the L614, unless regression occurs. EHD also ok. Picture may be slightly improved. (Subjective?) Central KY.

I just noticed I have 616 last night. I do not see folders on the EHD or a way to create them. I can see how to group in the normal DVR section but it has no effect on the EHD. I've done several reboots including unplugging for one minute. Please help.

I have two 622's in the Austin, TX area.

I just noticed I have 616 last night. I do not see folders on the EHD or a way to create them. I can see how to group in the normal DVR section but it has no effect on the EHD. I've done several reboots including unplugging for one minute. Please help.

I have two 622's in the Austin, TX area.

at first i thoght the same thing but it only groups 2 or more shows and still sorts by record date/name depending on your settings

i think you need group by on the main DVR section exit then go back in before going to the EHD, then you may have to scroll down until you see a grouped folder... i had to scroll down a page or two, because all the others were singles :)

I think that did it. Now I see the "My Media" as a folder in the internal DVR recording list and in the EHD I see folders only if there are two events with the same name.

I was hoping that I would be able to create and name folders and put events into whatever folder like on a PC. I guess we are not there yet.

Thanks

I think that did it. Now I see the "My Media" as a folder in the internal DVR recording list and in the EHD I see folders only if there are two events with the same name.

I was hoping that I would be able to create and name folders and put events into whatever folder like on a PC. I guess we are not there yet.

Thanks

no problem...

yeah it would be nice to create folders on our own, however that could be a pain with the onscreen keyboard...

maybe with the new 922 it would be easier.. however they should have done a Wii remote interface instaed of the touchpad.:eureka

I am having 3 issues. I don't know if they're related to 616 or not, but since that's the version on my 722, here goes. I don't have a problem with reception and regularly record of the satellite tuners and OTA tuner.

1. Some programs (I cannot remember which ones) have a real problem getting recorded. For a 30-minute program, instead of getting one program, I'll get 17 or 18 segments of 1 or two minutes each. The DVR is not rebooting. Sometimes this happens while I am watching another recorded program and I would notice if it was restarting.

2. When the countdown indicator tells me a program is going to record in 2 minutes, I hit select and cancel the recording. Then, without warning it changes to another recording that was originally skipped because of priority. I cancel that one after it changes the channel and go back to the program I was watching. It remained there for a few seconds and without warning again switched to third program that had been skipped due to priority. It shouldn't change channels ever without warning.

3. Whenever you were inside a folder and were in a mode to select the various recordings (such as for deleting or moving to the external hard drive, pressing the select button always moved the highlight either up or down to allow you to continue selecting multiple choices. This has changed. Now, when I press the select button, the same program remains highlighted. To make multiple selections, I now need two key presses instead of one. Is Dish trying to become the Microsoft of the TV world? :D They already required many more keypresses than the Tivo I abandoned for Dish. Why require more?

mrschwarz...

Have you done a hard reboot (unplugged) your 722 since you received L616? A hard reset can often resolve a lot of odd issues after a new firmware update.

As for the additional keypresses, yeah, it's a minor annoyance. I like the folders on the EHD and I'm sure, at some point, they'll get around to fixing the two-keypress issue on selecting programs to archive...

I called Dish customer service today about my 622. Since they pushed 6.16 down to me on Wednesday my receiver rebooted a couple of times and is now stuck in recovery mode. The CSR asked a bunch of stupid questions and had me do a hard reboot. She then put me on hold for about 2 minutes. When she came back she said that this was a known problem on some 622 and that it would be reported to technical support.

I asked if someone would be calling me back. She said no and that I should leave it plugged in and not touch the receiver for a day or two.

Strange.

Problem gets even stranger. After reading a bit about "recovery mode" and other problems with 6.16, I tried something else. I disconnected the OTA cable and then did a hard reboot again.

After the receiver went through its initial startup, I got the "Acquiring Satellite" screen. Then the 622 fired back to life. It worked for about 1 minute and then it started its rebooting cycle again.

Well, now both of my 722's are on L616. We just tried to watch NUMB3RS (recorded Friday on KMOV-HD), and I stopped counting audio dropouts when I got to 40. It was easily twice as bad as on previous versions. I even pulled the power for awhile and tried again. No improvement. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)