software version L622

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
At some point in the past day, my ViP 622 that was on L621 got upgraded to L622. Does anyone know what's supposed to be changed in this version?

One thing I noticed is that the aspect ratio on my SD outputs is screwed up. HD channels are now 4:3 whereas they used to be anamorphic, while SD looks more like 1:1 than 4:3! Is there any way to change this back? I think it actually used to look like this a long time ago, but it hasn't in so long that I can't remember when it was.

revert default TV2 aspect ratio is part of the changes for that software. it was only a partial release. call in to get a technical problem report filed so technical operations knows whats up

The update went out to 200k of the 622's.

These are the notes I have on the new software, but I dont understand what half of it means. I hope Dish will provide us consumer friendly notes again soon.

Driver fixes, DVR Custom Folder/Subfolder fixes, further check switch changes, rapid channel change black screen fix, removal of Playlist and Transfer buttons, revert default TV2 aspect ratio, fix various DishONLINE crashes, various reboot fixes, fix for missing screen updates after deleting Groups by Title, DishONLINE 48 hour expiration fix, Ext. HDD format pop-up fix, Misc.

revert default TV2 aspect ratio is part of the changes for that software. it was only a partial release. call in to get a technical problem report filed so technical operations knows whats up

It's not just TV2, its all composite and S-video outputs, even the ones for TV1. I thought that the way it used to be, it was only TV2, but maybe I'm mis-remembering it or maybe that's in dual mode (I only use single mode, ever.)

While I was home for lunch I checked both of my 622's. One has updated to L622. I have an EHD that has been giving me the "Function Not Supported" message. I connected the EHD to the receiver with L622 and now I get a reformat message.

Anybody know if Dish has any type of a beta testing program? From my viewpoint it looks like they just make modifications and throw them out to a bunch of users then wait for the tech support complaints to come in. I think there is a better way to make changes.

I bought a Roku VOD box last June and found that they have a forum run by Roku that users can post to with their questions. Roku engineers actually monitor and respond to the questions, plus they are noting the problems that need to be fixed. The web site is a really good source of information for both users and Roku to trouble shoot any problems found. Recently due to an upcoming major upgrade, Roku asked for volunteers to act as their beta testors. I got involved when they added the Amazon VOD feature and was glad to be one of the testors for the new software. The job was to load the new software and report on how it worked, and the reward was credits to watch the Amazon movies. I'm still doing it and am glad to help out.

Point being - maybe Dish should try the same approach. Ask for volunteers to test the new software release. They could then collect information on problems encountered, fix the problems, then release to the general public. Makes sense to me!

Darn, I'm still on L621. But then maybe it's good that I'm not one of the unsuspecting testers.

Oh anyone catch that at L622 your VIP 622 receiver will have software version 622 in it! Cool! :cool:

I just got 622 as well. I see that when deleting programs in a folder, they now disappear immediately. Mine only has TV1 HDMI and component connections -- they look fine.

There's no problem with HDMI and component, at least set to HD resolutions. I haven't tested them when set to SD to see if they smash the aspect ratio like the SD outputs do.

SD Aspect Ratio Problems

One thing I noticed is that the aspect ratio on my SD outputs is screwed up. HD channels are now 4:3 whereas they used to be anamorphic, while SD looks more like 1:1 than 4:3! Is there any way to change this back? I think it actually used to look like this a long time ago, but it hasn't in so long that I can't remember when it was.

The TV1 SD aspect ratio problems have been around since 621:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/178363-l621-issues.html#post1862263

With L621 you could get the correct aspect ratio back by going to HDTV setup and selecting a different TV type, then reselecting the one you want. This fix seems to hold until the overnight reboot.

I don't have L622 yet, but you could give this a shot.

I'm hope they are not planning on changing this functionality. I use the Anamprphic S-video output for DVD Recording.

OK, so why don't they just give us a choice of how we want our SD outputs to work, rather than hard-coding it?

The TV1 SD aspect ratio problems have been around since 621:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/178363-l621-issues.html#post1862263

With L621 you could get the correct aspect ratio back by going to HDTV setup and selecting a different TV type, then reselecting the one you want. This fix seems to hold until the overnight reboot.

I don't have L622 yet, but you could give this a shot.

I'm hope they are not planning on changing this functionality. I use the Anamprphic S-video output for DVD Recording.

The pip swap button works much faster.

I have L622, but have no idea what you guys are talking about as far as SD and HD on TV2. Can you get HD on TV2 now?