software version L622

It seems to be occurring in the mornings. When I got home from work yesterday at 8AM the receiver was doing the same thing. I did not bother trying to reboot it but went right to sleep. In the afternoon the receiver was fine. I checked the settings at the suggestion of a helpful person elsewhere to see what time the receiver was set to receive updates thinking it might have gotten changed to 6AM somehow. It was still set at 3AM so that is not necessarily the problem. What I think is that somehow the morning update is taking too long to complete for some reason and is screwing up the mornings. In the afternoons and evenings there are no problems and the receiver works flawlessly on both live tv and recordings. Now my wife has the timer set to record Regis every morning at 9AM. She missed 3 recordings last week and it did not record on Tuesday (yesterday) either. There are no problems in our house unless my wife misses Regis so I really need to get this fixed.

Same thing again today (yesterday) and a hard reboot wouldn't clear it either. No Regis again. In the afternoon everything is OK, same at night. I'm beginning to think this might be a recveiver issue and not a software issue, however the trouble seems to have started around the time the software started rolling out.

vip722 Digital Optical Output

I'm a newbie on this site/thread, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

I have a vip722, using the digital optical audio connection to a Harmon Kardon AVR7000. External decoder on the 722 is set to Dolby Digital/PCM. Had this setup since the vip722 was introduced (replaced a vip622 optical audio attached to the HK with the vip722), and it's been relatively problem free.

About the beginning of August, the dolby-digital (mainly HD) channels would intermittently produce audio garbage sounding like gargling water. A front panel reset on the vip722 would fix this, but also could fix by changing channel to a channel not transmitting dolby digital, and then changing the channel back (e.g. CNN and CNNHD). Also noticed a single audio pop when changing from non-dd to dd channels.

Finally called the problem to Dish on 8/11/09. Lots of troubleshooting with the call center, swap cables, swap optical input ports on the HK, change external decoder settings, lots of resets, etc... Dish wanted to pin the problem on the HK, however I also have a DVD player attached to the HK using an optical cable, and the audio works fine when playing dolby digital encoded DVD's.

Long story short, they have swapped 3 vip722's since then. Finally on-line chatted with a dish tech yesterday, and going through some dates, this problem seems to be coincident with the push of L622 software on 8/5/09. She had no other reports of this type of audio problem using digital optical, but did mention something about HDMI (I'm not using HDMI between my 722 and HK).

I've had two other problems that I noticed on the replacement 722's, so I don't know if they were happening on the original one.

First is that the guide button configuration (favorites guide selection: guide button/guide pop-up) won't hold it's setting past a reset, including both the nightly and a front panel power button reset, and reverts back to the default guide pop-up.

I've also had problems with recording, such as recurring programming being lost, and programs that have stopped recording after a few minutes.

Is anyone else using the digital optical out and having the same audio issue?

I also have a vip 622 using the optical out and HDMI attached to a Sony surround sound switching center, so I can switch back and forth between the the two types of cables, but I haven't had any problems with it since the L622 software download.

vip722 software is: L622RJXD-N / BootStrap 1418RJXD
vip622 software is: L622RBDB-N / BootStrap 1730RBDB

When I got up at 0600 today the receiver was already doing it. Its still doing it right now. It's almost as if there's a switch going off telling the receiver to go into this mode and it doesn't clear till sometime mid morning or afternoon and then everything is fine until the next morning. Don't know when it stops doing it actually because I'm not availabel to watch it during the day (sleeping - work nights) and there is no one here till wife and kids get home around 3 PM. I am going to try check switch and hard reboot this afternoon after things clear up and see if that has any effect on it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Next step is tech support I guess (dread the thought of it).

Should I take this to the running bug thread?

My receiver just pulled this david_jr bug, right in the middle of three active recordings! cr@p...
The power light is on, then it starts flashing like some kind of morse code for awhile, then all the lights blink really quick, then it does it all over again. I finally pulled the plug for a minute, plugged it back in and the same routine started all over again. I pulled the plug again for a minute and this time it came back up. All three recordings started back up again after a minute or so after the channels came back online.

Very annoying - now I have to go download a torrent for the three shows I just had aborted on me.

More annoying - my previous 622 which I had to replace this summer due to the drive failing was NEVER one problem since I got it the month they became available.

My pile of reasons to quit paying for tv just got one reason higher today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)