Solar flare affecting Anik F2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SatboyZ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
About 6:30 AM EDT F2 was practically knocked out by a massive solar flare. Shaw channels affected are the French and most HD. Telesat says it will take about 12 to 18 hours to correct the problem.

Satboyz

Let's hope they get it turned around in good time. It took them months to get E2 realigned when the same thing happened.

If they can't F3 will be moved in to replace F2's C/Ku services. Interesting to see if Charlie Ergan read the fine print on his Telesat F3 contract.

Telesat Press Release:

"Telesat is in control of the satellite and all indications are that it is healthy and can be returned to service". Telesat classified the problem as a "technical anomaly." but gave no estimate about when service would be restored.

Interesting in that the CBC is reporting that far north communities are greatly affected by this. No long distance phone, data services or debit/credit machines. Some banks have not even opened today since they can't do any business anyways.

I´m still missing some HD channels (like Oasis HD) I also lost the US West Feeds and I am instead getting a "subscription required" message even though I am currently suscribed, I guess it must be due to the sat failure.

There is NO backup for Anik F2. This dangerous situation is now very apparent to Transport Canada (loss of many northern airport radar control) + many banks suffered big losses due to Explornet loss of satellite internet service for their Debit Card transactions.

This was not caused by a solar flare but rather good old Canadian incompetent technician who like his cohort at Ciel a couple of weeks ago sent the wrong signal to a satellite. F2 automatically went into preprogrammed "Safe Mode" and turned to face the sun to keep the batteries charged. This mistake coupled with the lack of C/Ku/Ka backup at 111 will cost Telesat billions in future sales. You cut corners, you eventually get caught.

It seems I have to offer my apologies to Telesat. It wasn't their fault - it was Boeing's. They sent a faulty software update to Telesat. Good thing Telesat didn't load it up to F1/F1R/F3 at the same time

I´m still missing some HD channels (like Oasis HD) I also lost the US West Feeds and I am instead getting a "subscription required" message even though I am currently suscribed, I guess it must be due to the sat failure.

Are you still having issues with missing channels? All I am able to get is CTV HD - everything else is still either "subscription required", or "acquiring satellite signal"

what signal are you getting on the F2 channels? you should check the system status under options. try putting it on channel 420 (NFL network)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts