Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
There's a classical concert feed on 83w Ku now, it's 1080i HD, MPEG2 video, AC3 audio, and the symbol rate is only 14322. The receiver won't record it, although it ACTS LIKE it's recording it. The recording banner comes up, the progress bar fills out, but the activity light on my hard drive doesn't blink, and when I stop the recording and check, there's no such recording in the list. This isn't the first time it's done this with HD, but it doesn't do it with all HD, it's worked fine with higher symbol rates before, and in fact one of the memorable times it's failed to record like this I think it might've also been on 83w Ku (although it was an entirely different type of program, so it may be coincidental unless they were the same uplinker -- they were both special events feeds for theaters, for what it's worth.)

Jim,

Better check over all your stuff, I've recorded many programs in HD, works fine, looks great. Only trouble I've had with recording is the timer, lot of bugs in that feature, barely works. I'm using an older 250g ide connected to a usb adapter cable, nothing special, nothing to see here, move along.

yeah yesterday for fun I tried the record option on HD...some feeds from "the total sports leader" or whatever they use to use as a slogan....symbol rate 29270 and it worked fine

too bad the receiver has other issues ;)

Jim, It won't record Huskervision on 89w either. I tried several weeks ago on that one and there was was nothing after the recording was supposedly done. I've recorded other Hd stuff and no problems. No method to the madness with the SSO receiver. Blind

Has anyone had any contact with the manufacturer of the Openbox S9? For me closed captioning working would be nice. Maybe as a group we could come up with upgrades suggestions they might like to look into?

I haven't tried to lay anything at their doorstep yet, but maybe if we could organize a complaint blitz they would fix some of this stuff.
Here is the website, there is an area for "contact us"
Download > Technical Central_Shenzhen Yojia Technology Co., Ltd.

Try a different hard disk or USB adapter. I have had similar results with my GEOSATpro in that some hard drives work some of the time, but not all the time and others work flawlessly.

Jim, It won't record Huskervision on 89w either. No method to the madness with the SSO receiver.

If you want to give me a HD challenge I'll try recording it on my OpenBox, maybe we can compare notes and figure out why some do, some don't. I can get anything C-band and a fair amount of Ku.

the other Jim S.

Last edited:
I tried some HD recording and they all worked fine. The examples
-G16 C-Band TP18 (4060 V 27780)...its the syndicated showings of shows. Recorded Divorce Court..worked fine. Recorded and played back
-Found a feed of "The T.O. Show" in HD (low s/r though...only 15000)...worked fine
-Tried a few of the HD channels on 125W. PBS HD West, OETA HD, LPB HD. All worked fine

Now these were maybe 10-15 minute recordings each but they all worked. Using a WD 320Gb drive

Here is a few I just made in HD.

103C Pixl HD sr 4790
74Ku CNN news feed sr 8400
125Ku pbs sr 30000
105C NBC sr 30000

All were played back no jumping, skipping, pixels, etc.

OpenBox software ver. 10-07-11:072AMT

Seems to work ok here.

Last edited:
I wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of space free on the drive? I have a little over 17GB right now, that should've got me a couple hours of HD, right? Plus, it didn't say anything about not being able to record, it put up the recording display like everything was proceeding as normal.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of space free on the drive? I have a little over 17GB right now, that should've got me a couple hours of HD, right? Plus, it didn't say anything about not being able to record, it put up the recording display like everything was proceeding as normal.

Jim,

17 gb should have been plenty.
What are you using for a usb adapter and or hard drive?

I am using a cheap usb adapter that only cost $12.99 and a old WD 250g IDE drive. You can connect most any drive you have laying around. 2.5" or 3.5", IDE or SATA and works fine with the OpenBox.
IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Cable Adapter - Turn Your 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" IDE or SATA Drive Into A USB Drive! 2020

This comes with it's own power supply so you don't have to draw off the usb port which may be an issue with some portable drives.

I too am using a cheap enclosure (I don't even remember the name, it wasn't a common one) and a WD SATA drive that I think is only 160GB, but pretty fast for a 2.5".

Further confounding the issue, I found some random 1080i MPEG2 feeds tonight, some of them very close if not identical to the symbol rate of the feed that didn't work, and I had no problem at all recording them. And I know that I've recorded higher symbol rates than that before -- some of them used to make my disk activity light blink like a strobe light, whereas the ~14000 ones, when they work, only make it blink once a second or so!

Older firmware for the Solomend also had the option to record PS files. That seems to work when it won't record to the TS files that are now the only option. You need to have the receiver act as a slave, though, because all those switch improvements are missing in that old firmware.

Most HD records on mine except huskervision which is not a big deal. I figured out the program to put the stuff you've recorded in hd/sd to a dvd. Ariva TS tool is the easiest way to go from .pvr to a TS file. You can watch the TS file on the computer.It took only a couple of minutes to do. I've tried a few different pieces of software to burn to DVD from the TS file. Anything that will take a TS and convert and burn to a dvd works i guess,. Convertxtodvd works but its shareware..WinXdvd video converter works, only a 15 day trial then you pay. So far no decent freeware without all the toolbar add ons etc...from start to finish its a slow process though...1 1/2 hour show took 2 to 2 1/2 hours to complete.Hope this helps somebody...blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)