Some basic questions from a new DirecTV customer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejj

Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I just subscribed to DirecTV about a month ago, and so far have been very happy! I have an HR24 in my living room, a HD reciever in the bedroom, and 2 SD recievers in other rooms. I have MRV enabled and working between the HR24 and HR reciever. Being a long time cable customer, and never having satellite before, I have a few questions....sorry if some are overly basic!

A few more details about my setup...I have a SWIM-4 splitter, which means 1 line going to each box, including the HR24, and all ports are in use. The HR24 has a powered external "box" that the signal goes into and out of before connecting to the HR24. Not sure what that is...

Connection to the Internet
The installer told me that all I need to do is run an ethernet line into the back of the HR24, and it would be connected to the internet and be able to access On Demand content. I think I've read elsewhere that this could interfear with MVR/DECA functionality...is that true?

Adding a second DVR
While the MRV works in the bedroom with the HD receiver, we miss the ability to pause/rewind live programming, and wouldn't mind adding DVR capacity to our system. Can I simply order another HR24, put it in place of the HD receiver, and activate it? Are there hardware changes needed beyond the box itself? If I activate a new HR24 am I hit with any kind of penalty to return the HD receiver?

Does DirecTV charge extra DVR fees for multiple DVRs on one account?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered! I look forward to learning a lot from the experts here!

Can I simply order another HR24, put it in place of the HD receiver, and activate it?
yes
Are there hardware changes needed beyond the box itself?
no since you have SWM

If I activate a new HR24 am I hit with any kind of penalty to return the HD receiver?
no. I just did that myself. Got a R15 at setup and swapped for a R22 a couple months later. They'll send out a "recovery kit" for you to send back the existing receiver
Does DirecTV charge extra DVR fees for multiple DVRs on one account?

$7 per account regardless of how many DVR's you have on acct

Connection to the Internet
The installer told me that all I need to do is run an ethernet line into the back of the HR24, and it would be connected to the internet and be able to access On Demand content. I think I've read elsewhere that this could interfear with MVR/DECA functionality...is that true?

Do not plug an ethernet cable into the HR24. You need an additional DECA adapter and a power supply. The DECA adapter attaches to an unused port on your SWiM splitter (or with an additional green labeled SWim splitter, the power supply attaches to the DECA and an ethernet cable runs from your router to the DECA adapter. That will allow internet functionality to all receivers on your MRV network.

Using the external ethernet port on the HR24 disables the internal DECA. You don't want to connect it that way.

Last edited:
Do not plug an ethernet cable into the HR24. You need an additional DECA adapter and a power supply. The DECA adapter attaches to an unused port on your SWiM splitter (or with an additional green labeled SWim splitter, the power supply attaches to the DECA and an ethernet cable runs from your router to the DECA adapter. That will allow internet functionality to all receivers on your MRV network.

Using the external ethernet port on the HR24 disables the internal DECA. You don't want to connect it that way.

When I placed my original order, I asked for internet connectivity to be set up and was told it wouldn't be a problem....then the installer said he couldn't do it that day, but all I had to do was run the ethernet line. Will they try to charge me now for the hardware and install now?

When I placed my original order, I asked for internet connectivity to be set up and was told it wouldn't be a problem....then the installer said he couldn't do it that day, but all I had to do was run the ethernet line. Will they try to charge me now for the hardware and install now?

If they do, tell them the installer would not do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)