Something Strange Is Happening On 127W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Yesterday I had trouble with a TP on 127W on BOTH my systems using different Openbox S9 receivers. I'd been locking that TP with no problems up until yesterday morning when it wouldn't lock on either system. So I posted that feed as MIA in WUT and later that day Magic posted that he was receiving it fine. I tried it then and it locked OK so I thought it might have been turned off being the reason I couldn't get it that morning. Well, late last night I had the same problem so I was thinking it was turned off again??

So this morning it was still off and I was on the system in the shop so I shut everything off and switched over the the Micro HD and that TP locked fine?? WTF?? Hummm, so I shut the system down again and switched back to the S9 only to have it NOT lock yet again. Checked Q readings on the rest of the TPs on that satellite and they were from 77 to 85% Q and when I peaked one of those TPs the P setting in my Vbox X was dead on??

So I went back to that TP and decided to run about 15 clicks both East and West to see what happened and when I hit 10 clicks East that TP locked? Say what? Q was down about 10 points but it was locked, and it stayed locked all the way back to that normal satellite position where the Q reading was back to 83%?? Went in the house and checked on that system and it did the same thing?

So now I'm really confused. Can one of you Electronics Gurus tell me what's going on? It's not a major problem now that I know how to make that TP lock but I would like a reason why it decided to do this all of a sudden on two different systems?

Thanks

Well if I had to guess, I'd be looking at those LNBFs. Maybe try a blind scan when those TPs are gone and see if you have some serious frequency drift going on.

Adjacent satellite or local terrestrial interference?
Often a dish can be moved away from the problematic source and the CNR (Carrier To Noise Ratio) improves enough to provide reception of the transponder.

LO frequency drift?
Sometimes this takes out one transponder before others. This could be due to the transponder's FEC, EIRP or other factors. I 2nd Magic Static's suggestion to Blind Scan.

Well if I had to guess, I'd be looking at those LNBFs. Maybe try a blind scan when those TPs are gone and see if you have some serious frequency drift going on.

Tried the blind scan and didn't get anything new.

LNBFs? Why did the Micro HD lock it then?

I've been watching that feed with zero problems since the other one went away a few weeks back. It just seems strange that this problem showed up on two different systems at the same time and it makes me think that something has changed from the feed end? But then again, the Micro locked it??

I haven't tried it with either of the AZBox receivers. May try that later today if time permits. I'm in the middle of changing the engine out in my car, been at the Dr twice in two days with an eye infection, I've got a water leak in my house and I have to go pick up my hearing aids on Thursday so I've kinda got my plate full at the moment.

Different receiver's have different thresholds, AGC and AFT settings. Maybe the microHD tunes out further on the AFT? Maybe the AGC setting provides an edge? Tuner sensitivity higher?

Yeah well, the Micro doesn't normally catch as many feeds on blind scans in either scan mode as these S9s so I'm not sure that tuner is "that" much better than the ones in the S9s??

Ennywho, I know how to make it work so it's not a major issue at this point.

Thanks

For what it's worth, I remember many threads where the openbox failed to lock certain transponders. I can remember Iceburg suggesting to change the frequency slightly. Many people had that work. Might have to go up or down one or two. Might not be your problem since it locked previously, but worth a shot!

Catamount

Just posted this in WUT also. Both my systems are now locking this feed in the original position settings with the S9 receivers?? :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)