Something up with 5Max's launch?

I compared the SD and HD versions of the channel and the HD is much better (PQ) i think its now showing HD but on standard version (no widescreen). I guess little by little they are getting the channel ready. Yesterday the PQ of the channel was really bad, the HD looked exactly like the sd.

Yeah, there were a lot of digital glitches when I was watching the beginning of Borat last night (had to switch to SD), but I did notice that the picture became sharper. I assume they're still working out some technical issues.

PhilAce, Cinemax's guide has listed most of the programs as HD since Monday, so the guide isn't a reliable source.

Yeah, there were a lot of digital glitches when I was watching the beginning of Borat last night (had to switch to SD), but I did notice that the picture became sharper. I assume they're still working out some technical issues.

PhilAce, Cinemax's guide has listed most of the programs as HD since Monday, so the guide isn't a reliable source.

So, what is the consensus on the source of the problem? Cinemax or Dish?

I would simply ask whether or not they have actually seen and touched a piece of 35mm film. Hard to argue the point with someone that doesnt really know what it is. :D

Why does someone have to have "touched" film to understand the most basic mechanics of how HD and Film works?

It's academic, not experiential.

I am on the phone now asking tech support about 5 star max and he actually told me to hit format and stretch the picture to get HD......and this is an American I am talking to....does anyone at Dish know anything about HD at all????

I am on the phone now asking tech support about 5 star max and he actually told me to hit format and stretch the picture to get HD......and this is an American I am talking to....does anyone at Dish know anything about HD at all????
He probably worked at Best Buy...

Oh wow, now I've heard at all. The CSR's have gone stretchovision!? Hopefully you corrected him?

I tried to explain HD to him but he told me that it was in HD but it is shown in 4:3. He said not all HD is in 16:9 that a lot of it is in 4:3????? Is this correct? I even told him the same movies were on Regular Max in full HD but that did not seem to matter to him. And he said he checked and I am the first person to complain about 5 star max.
He also said that there is no price reduction for losing the Voom channels...He said I got Disney cartoon and the other cartoon channel to replace Voom Animaniana !!!!! the conversation was really getting unreal after that so I had to hang up. at least I could understand him. Here is the # I called for tech support and the email they sent me (as far as I can tell there is no channel 381)
Thank you for your email. The Cinemax 5 Star HD is on chan.381. If you tune in that channel and it is not in HD, please contact our Technical Support anytime at 1-800-333-3474. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

People do not try to understand anymore... it is a place holder for an HD channel. There is no HD content on this one.

Are you sure? The channel shows movies that Cinemax has in HD, and the Cinemax website guide says that many of the movies on 5star are in Hd.

Why does someone have to have "touched" film to understand the most basic mechanics of how HD and Film works?
It's academic, not experiential.

Sammy033 was responding to an earlier post who obviously did not know anything about 35mm film, saying in effect, can't show HD when it's not HD, referring to recent films. A lot of people don't have a clue that most entertainment HD they see is shot on film. Rather, they think it has to be shot with HD cameras.

Are you sure? The channel shows movies that Cinemax has in HD, and the Cinemax website guide says that many of the movies on 5star are in Hd.
it hasnt shown anything in hd yet. Borat was on in sd, plus others listed as hd were shown in sd. it is as bad as wfn-hd, which doesnt show anything in hd.

it hasnt shown anything in hd yet. Borat was on in sd, plus others listed as hd were shown in sd. it is as bad as wfn-hd, which doesnt show anything in hd.

I know. :) I was asking him if hes sure that the channel is a placeholder...im hoping its a technical glitcxh

The likely explanation (my best guess):

Cinemax and EchoStar have not completed an HD feed from Cinemax to Dish Network.

But, there was an urgency to add a lot of HD channels due to:

- Team Summit meeting with retailers this week
- Necessity of taking down Voom after judge ruled in E*'s favor, and before Voom could get a different judge to issue an injunction. (So Dish needed to add all the HD at the same time, so it did not look like a net loss of HD)

PS WFN is not an HD version of an SD channel. They are launching in an HD slot because they plan to have HD programming. It is likely that E* is allowing this because either the channel is free, or else they are even paying E* to carry it.

The likely explanation (my best guess):

Cinemax and EchoStar have not completed an HD feed from Cinemax to Dish Network.

But, there was an urgency to add a lot of HD channels due to:

- Team Summit meeting with retailers this week
- Necessity of taking down Voom after judge ruled in E*'s favor, and before Voom could get a different judge to issue an injunction. (So Dish needed to add all the HD at the same time, so it did not look like a net loss of HD)

Corporate spin at it's finest. I think it would have been a little more forthcoming to combine the two issues in one press release, but I suspect the stockholders may not have seen that report in such a positive light:

"Dish Network to add -7 HD channels to their already industry leading line up!"

People do not try to understand anymore... it is a place holder for an HD channel. There is no HD content on this one.

BUT...

Cinemax makes a point of saying that some programs are "TrueHD" and some are upconverted on their website.

The programming that is in "TrueHD" is being broadcast IN "TrueHD" on the main Cinemax channel. It's already in the system.

This is not like, say, TBS. They rushed TBS-HD on the air for baseball or whatever it was, and they hadn't bothered to obtain HD copies of shows like The Office. Gradually, they update their library and show more and more HD.

Cinemax ALREADY HAS the HD sources. They are already producing HD promos.

They claim that ALL the feeds will be available in HD by June. Right now, they only claim 4. If those 4 aren't really in HD, why not claim ALL of them are available now? Why only lie halfway?

It has to be a technical issue. OR, if it is a "placeholder", I expect it to get fixed VERY quickly. I suppose it's possible they they "made the feed available", but had NO subscribers until 2 days ago, so why bother to program it properly? But that still seems weird...I'm blaming DISH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)