Sometime I want an Ooma for landline phone, will that work if I'm "moved" with DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Eventually I'd like an Ooma for phone service, but I won't be able to use it wired due to the fact I live in an apartment and I'm positive the landlord doesn't want anymore holes drilled (and it would be too expensive anyways), so I will hook it up to Wi-Fi. Can I hook it up to the same network as the receiver if I'm "moved"? Or can I hook it up to a separate network on the same router? Or how about the modem's Wi-Fi upstairs that the router is connected to with a wired connection? I only want to hook up the Ooma if I won't get red-flagged by DirecTV. So should I?

I'm not "moved" - so can't speak as to whether or not any red flags will be thrown up, but I do have Ooma and had no problems with my HR34 using it to "phone home" or display caller ID info on the TV. I'm not connected to Ooma anymore since upgrading to the HR54, as the 54 doesn't have a phone jack on it.

Can I hook it up to the same network as the receiver if I'm "moved"?
yes

Why would Directv care what else is hooked to your modem?
They dont care if you're "moved" or not the way it is

Reactions: goober22
I use Ooma (not with DTV) but I connect the Ooma "box" to the router wirelessly and then plug that into my phone jack. My Dish receiver is plugged in to the closest phone jack. No issues. You can get a second number with Oma so if you really wanted to you could get an area code that corresponds with wherever you moved to. I don't think it is necessary but you could do it.

I'll agree with Iceberg as well.

It really doesn't matter. I "know" someone that has moved and their ISP isn't even available where they have moved. So "IF" D* cared about it, they would know the ISP's IP address isn't even available in that area. Hook up ya OOMA!

Reactions: Mr Tony
So I'm also assuming I can connect the phone line from the Ooma to my Genie if I wanted to?

I have ooma and it works well. Also, my IP lists me in Phoenix even though I am in Tucson. It really doesn't matter. My phone number is an out of state area code as well.

I have Ooma with a NV and an NC phone number. You have two lines. My Hr34 and Ooma are both connected by Ethernet. When I moved fro NV to NC, I unplugged my Ooma and packed it. The service kept functioning even though the box was not in the picture. I simply forwarded calls to my cell phone. I've always done that anyway. When I get a call both POTS phones and my cell ring. Ooma also has an app that lets you make calls over WiFi on their network. My point is that Ooma has no geographical physical presence at all. Ooma resides in the Ether. it has no boundaries. I imagine you could take one to Europe, connect it, and it would work.

I cannot recommend Ooma higher. It has telemarketing black lists and you add to your own. I has Voicemail that be accessed via the web or your cell. It keeps a call log. It even works with Nest.

Just make sure your 911 address is where the box is located
That's actually my only real problem with Ooma here. Even though I have my location properly entered into my account online, and while Ooma promises to make "every effort" to forward your location info. to the 911 system for your area. It doesn't always work ....

Had to make an emergency call from the house here a few months ago and grabbed one of the phones connected to the Ooma Telo terminal and the 911 operator had no CID/location information for my call.

Had to speak it to her like in the very old days ...

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Just make sure your 911 address is where the box is located

You just enter the actual address in Ooma Settings. I have not heard of not working except from the post above. I guess I should test it. No issue as I live in a not so crazy place and the operators wouldn't mind. Not too worried as my security system has Police, Fire, and Medical buttons. But its a cellular connection. Now I wonder if any of this crap works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)