Sometimes old LNBF is better than new...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
A few weeks ago I noticed occasional (intermittent) malfunction of one of 2-outlet LNBF. To confirm that it was LNBF, I swapped the cables on it. After some time, the malfunction showed up on the other receiver (and its TV).
Decided to give chance to older LNBF, which I modified 2 years ago, and sealed its front cap with ...
1-1/2 " shrinkable tubing (I had to stretch the tubing before putting it on LNBF and shrink with heat gun).
Conclusion?
Sometimes the older devices are more reliable than new ones...
Pictures (some annotated) follow :
IMG_4849.JPG IMG_4850.JPG IMG_4851.JPG IMG_4852.JPG IMG_4853.JPG IMG_4854.JPG

Reactions: Lee60
Is the "seesat" a PLL LNBF? Maybe the extra circutry in a PLL causes premature failure due to heat? Always nice to have a spare! :)

Reactions: polgyver and Lee60
Probably Seesat is not PLL - otherwise it would be described as such on its label.
I do have extra spare PLL - this is waiting for 125 W.
For 97 W regular LNBF is good enough...
IMG_4857.JPG

Reactions: Cham
Suppose if they don't specify stability numbers... maybe you don't want to know... But if the oscillator did drift a bit on the seesat unit, maybe tuning up or down 1 MHz or two in local oscillator frequency would tell the tale, or if blind-scanning showed it was off frequency when tuning known TPs. Always interesting to find out the point of failure, even if it's not worth fixing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)