Sonicview 8000hd technical diseqc switching question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I have a tech question setting up my receiver. I have a quad lnb with 2 of the 4 outputs going into a 2 to 1 diseqc switch then to my sg2100 motor. My question is do I need to tell the receiver which diseqc port is circular or linear when I setup each satellite or should it do this automatically. It seems I am only getting circular signals at this point and I can't find detailed instructions in my manual. All of the circular signals are pay channels.

you need to select the port in your dish settings....lets say the "L" port is connected to port 3 on your switch....this means you need to select diseqc port 3 on EVERY linear satellite you setup....if circular port is connected to port 2 on the switch then you need to select diseqc port 2 for EVERY circular satellite you setup....

Yep.
I would just add that if you choose diseqc #1 for all your linear FTA satellites, then you won't have to change any settings.
That's the default.
For any birds where you do want to test the waters in circular, set those for diseqc #2.
And of course, wire the switch accordingly.

Another reason is that if the switch fails to change channels,
(bad switch, bad receiver, bad grounding, bad wiring, wrong phase of the moon, bugs in your switchbox...)
..... the power-on default for the switch is input #1.

sonicview 8000hd catching strange channels

I managed to pickup a bunch of channels when scanning the 61w amazonas 2 satellite and they are coming up as echostar (61.5w channels) where most of them are encrypted however about 10 of them are not and they are local news stations. when I blind scan these channels on the 61.5 satellite the free ones don't seem to come up. Why would the receiver not find them when I scan the 61.5? these are the only channels I have been able to consistently pickup. 2 of them have already disappeared. I managed to pickup some foreign channels on 89w satellite and a feed of a neighborhood in haiti but I think I need to chop some of my trees down if I am going to get a strong signal past 72w.

Last edited:
I managed to pickup a bunch of channels when scanning the 61w amazonas 2 satellite and they are coming up as echostar (61.5w channels) where most of them are encrypted however about 10 of them are not and they are local news stations. when I blind scan these channels on the 61.5 satellite the free ones don't seem to come up. Why would the receiver not find them when I scan the 61.5? these are the only channels I have been able to consistently pickup. 2 of them have already disappeared. I managed to pickup some foreign channels on 89w satellite and a feed of a neighborhood in haiti but I think I need to chop some of my trees down if I am going to get a strong signal past 72w.

You are obviously picking up 61.5. There are currently some Dish Network channels that are ITC on that bird. That is what you are picking up. There is only a 1/2 degree difference between the two birds, so it is common to see this kind of bleed over. I'm not sure there are any FTA channels on Amazonas, so you might be wasting your time with that bird anyway.

Amazonas signals from 61 should be linear while the DISH signals from 61.5 should be circular. If you are looking for Amazonas, make sure you are using the proper port on your Diseqc switch. I have a similar setup, but use a motor installed before a 4 port switch. With the proper port setting for your L output on the LNB, you shouldn't get much from 61.5. I am assuming that you are using an Invacom QPH-031 lnb which is a quad with 2 L(inear) outputs and 2 C(ircular) outputs.

Amazonas signals from 61 should be linear while the DISH signals from 61.5 should be circular. If you are looking for Amazonas, make sure you are using the proper port on your Diseqc switch. I have a similar setup, but use a motor installed before a 4 port switch. With the proper port setting for your L output on the LNB, you shouldn't get much from 61.5. I am assuming that you are using an Invacom QPH-031 lnb which is a quad with 2 L(inear) outputs and 2 C(ircular) outputs.

sometimes a linear LNB will pickup and lock some circular transponders.....thats why its best to stop the scan manually when it gets into the circular frequencies 12200 +

sometimes a linear LNB will pickup and lock some circular transponders.....thats why its best to stop the scan manually when it gets into the circular frequencies 12200 +

unless the receiver doesn't allow you to do that (openbox scans to 12900 and you can't scan just one polarity on the newer software so 91W always scans some Bell transpdoners)

unless the receiver doesn't allow you to do that (openbox scans to 12900 and you can't scan just one polarity on the newer software so 91W always scans some Bell transpdoners)

if you push the "exit" button it will stop the scan (on most receivers)

if you push the "exit" button it will stop the scan (on most receivers)

yeah thats fine and jim dandy on some receivers but if you read what I wrote "on the newer software on the SSO you cannot select one polarity"

the SSO scans
11700-12900 horizontal side then
11700-12900 vertical side

so if you exit early (say 1/2 way through the H side) and reblind scan it starts back over at 11700-12900 H side. The only time an exit works is once you have done the vertical side

yeah thats fine and jim dandy on some receivers but if you read what I wrote "on the newer software on the SSO you cannot select one polarity"

yeah thats fine and jim dandy....but we are not talking about the SSO here....we are talking about the SV8000 as per the title of the thread....and on the SV8000 you CAN stop the scan manually and you CAN scan one polarity at a time....

but you quoted my post which IS about the SSO. If you're going to quote a post make sure its the right one then ;)

Ya I actually found 3 channels on 61w when I was using my single linear lnb that came with the dish and I got a polish music channel, a channel about the satellite, and an arabic channel. I hooked up the qph031 lnb and I wasn't really sure how to set it up on my receiver. In the diseqc settings for each satellite there is a mini a, mini b, ports 1-4. I have a 2 into 1 diseqc switch so I assume that I should denote them ports 1-2. I am not sure though. When I set the diseqc settings last night I seemed to catch a few linear satellites but I don't trust the switching on this. I have no problem picking up 61.5w and 82w on circular. It is catching 91w full power as well. I am having trouble with the linear birds though. I don't want to switch back to my linear lnb if I don't have to. I heard there is a good amount of channels on 97w but I am not catching much there. I think this receiver has a lot of bugs. I am getting channel change errors consistently now. I want a better receiver. There doesn't seem to be any current customer support for this(firmware, etc) and it is missing the 83w satellite. The satellite list seems way outdated as far as transponders etc.

Ya I actually found 3 channels on 61w when I was using my single linear lnb that came with the dish and I got a polish music channel, a channel about the satellite, and an arabic channel. I hooked up the qph031 lnb and I wasn't really sure how to set it up on my receiver. In the diseqc settings for each satellite there is a mini a, mini b, ports 1-4. I have a 2 into 1 diseqc switch so I assume that I should denote them ports 1-2. I am not sure though. When I set the diseqc settings last night I seemed to catch a few linear satellites but I don't trust the switching on this. I have no problem picking up 61.5w and 82w on circular. It is catching 91w full power as well. I am having trouble with the linear birds though. I don't want to switch back to my linear lnb if I don't have to. I heard there is a good amount of channels on 97w but I am not catching much there. I think this receiver has a lot of bugs. I am getting channel change errors consistently now. I want a better receiver. There doesn't seem to be any current customer support for this(firmware, etc) and it is missing the 83w satellite. The satellite list seems way outdated as far as transponders etc.

it sounds to me like your motor needs to be fine tuned/aimed a bit better....circular satellites have alot more forgiveness and are easier to aim at....linear satellites you really need to be bang on....so just because you get quality from all circular satellites arccoss the arc that does not really mean you are aimed properly and it does not mean you will get all linears accross the arc....its best to do your fine tuning using the linears....checking a linear satellite at the top of the arc and at both ends of the arc is the best way to verify alignment....

from my experience with the SV8000 i will say the following....

that receiver was basically made as a "hackers receiver".....true FTA is really not what it was meant for....but having said that....it does switch very well and it does control a motor very well....the blind scan is also not too bad....pic quality is very good.....really the only drawback is it will not do DVB-S2....

sonicview has had their arses sued for hacking reasons so i would not expect any future firmware updates....they are pretty much done....if you are getting the channel change error then you have hackers software on the box.....you need to find a "cleaner file" for the box and the latest factory software....run the cleaner file a few times and then load the latest factory file....hopefully that will get rid of that error for you.....

as far as the satellite list being out of date....it is pretty easy to add your own satellites and transponders manually and rename satellites so that should not be a very big problem.....

OK, what are some good receivers that can do the most? I will try to re aim the dish. I wasn't able to find the 30w and 15w sats on linear so I will try to aim from 60 to 110w I guess. When I add a new satellite how do I save the coordinates? There is no listing for 83w. Do I just have to try and get the satellite dead on then save the position? I would really like a better receiver but I thought the sv8000 had a pretty good following.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts