Sonicview HD Quandary

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
In other posts I stated that I purchased a module for my SV, taking a risk that it might let me get S-2 transmissions. Right now, the only module available for Sonicview appears to be the one primarily used for hacking. That said, I thought there might be a chance it would allow me to receive S-2.

So far I can't tell. I have a pretty old "fix" bin loaded. Of course it won't get any encrypted programming and that is by (my) design. When you select editing or adding a transponder, you get to select DVB QPSK, Turbo, 8PSK, and DVB QPSK-S2. I know what "Turbo" is for and so I ignore that.

So far, fidgeting the settings changes the quality readings on some channels, but no picture at the s-2 setting.

So far I don't know if I can get a single additional c-band channel with the module installed . There are too many settings.

Can anyone suggest a logical approach?

I don't know where to start.

I don't know about the sonic view but I ordered one of those s2 boards from an ebay dealer "tvtoyz" and he sent me a hack board tuner for my Pansat 9200 HD.

The board does not work for any free to air s-2 signals. I guess it only works for turbo 8psk from E*.

The board is useless to me.

That board may not work for real fta. Don't be surprised if it doesn't since from what I have learned is that the tuner design for turbo vs standard s-2 is totally different.

So you've posted before, truckracer.

I suppose I'm still in a bit of a denial mode. I see the different settings in the transponder menu, and am still trying things to make it work.

I'm just continuing to try to get a picture in an S2 channel.

The way they are advertising it is you can get these channels. Is that not true?

Available Free to Air HD Channels:

G26 (93' W)
- 3820 H 29124 Equity Mux (25 Channels)
(Need 10ft antenna to get enough quality level and scan)
G14 (125' W)
- 4060 V 30000 NBC Universal (3 Channels)
(Need 6ft antenna)
- 4080 H 30000 CNBC HD+ (1 Channel)
(Need 10ft antenna)

The way they are advertising it is you can get these channels. Is that not true?

G26 (93' W)
G14 (125' W)
(Need 6ft antenna)
(Need 10ft antenna)

The Equity Mux is on G28 now. And you don't need a 10' dish, I watched it just fine on a 7.5.

The other two are hit and miss for me, but I do know they are there.

But all that doesn't help you with the Sonicview...I know. :D

I bought the SV8000 when they 1st came out last year, an like the receiver, very user freindly, the best receiver that I have ever used with a motor controler ( V-box). now I have got hours on the phone an E-mails to the Sonicview tech support on getting it to tune a S-2 signal, an never no help on getting any lock on a S-2 signal. the SV will not tune it at all, think it all come back to the tunner that they have in the receiver.

Now if you want to tune in a S-2 signal a 7 1/2 foot dish will work (as long as it is peaked to the max) but not on all satellites, an you will need a different receiver other than the SV, these are receivers that I have used that will tune a S-2 signal. Pansat 9200 w/DVBS-2 board, Pansat9000 (this is my favorite), Coolsat 8000 & 8100 (I have not used the 8100 but know some one that does an it works), an a Diamond9000. now out of all receivers that I have tune a S-2 with LoneCloud they all have some bugs with them, an I think it is all soft-ware related, but the Pan9000 seems to be the least buggie, of all the receivers that I have used. now on another note any receiver needs more signal to tune an play a S-2 signal, than just a qpsk signal.

Hope all helps LoneCloud, an I know that you will be receiver shopping if you want to tune in S-2, so good luck.

Thanks captain,

I have a Viewsat HD which claims to get s-2, but i find it is not very c-band friendly. It does Ku OK.

The Sonicview has a better scan function for c-band, and will pull in a signal at low quality readings that the Viewsat will give a blank screen.

It's annoying to know there are signals out there I can't get.

Thanks. I'll probably wait awhile before I get ANOTHER hidef FTA receiver.

Thanks captain,

I have a Viewsat HD which claims to get s-2, but i find it is not very c-band friendly. It does Ku OK.

The Sonicview has a better scan function for c-band, and will pull in a signal at low quality readings that the Viewsat will give a blank screen.

It's annoying to know there are signals out there I can't get.

Thanks. I'll probably wait awhile before I get ANOTHER hidef FTA receiver.
I wasted money on that crap board also,I emailed SV about dvb-s2 signals,and got a reply from Rick from gofastmotorsport,(thats how I found his site)that the card is usless for fta:mad:,so you can sell it or if you dont want to fool with taking it out just switch it to built in tuner and then you can blind scan the sats.Maybe sonicview will wake up and get with the program like pansat.

G26 (93' W)
G14 (125' W)
(Need 6ft antenna)
(Need 10ft antenna)
Like stogie said, the Equity Mux is now on G28. Those NBC Universal channels on G14 are scrambled now, but you should be able to get a Lock, if the Viewsat HD's S-2 is working?

Wow, You mean after all that time NBC scrambled their feed channels......Gee whizzzz!!
Scrambling stuff that ends up on free over the air tv anyway - Good use of scrambling funds-LOL

Wow, You mean after all that time NBC scrambled their feed channels......Gee whizzzz!!
Scrambling stuff that ends up on free over the air tv anyway - Good use of scrambling funds-LOL

No, the NBC Universals are Pay Cable channels that NBC owns.

The NBC network S2 feeds are on AMC 18 C-band. :)

Just so you guys know, I emailed Sonicview and suggested they sponsor an s-2 add-on board in the Pansat mode. Some of the foreign litigation has been moving toward imposing liability on FTA manufacturers if their hardware has no purpose other than hacking.

Presently, these module sockets and mounting holes don't have any other known purpose. Creation of an S-2 module in my view would help insulate SV from lawsuit. At least they could claim a legit purpose for the sockets and mounting holes.

I got an email back from SV saying that such a board might be available by year's end. I hope so. The Sonicview is a competent performer for scanning and brings in a good c-band picture at relatively low quality signal. With an S-2 board it might become the c-band receiver to beat.

Just so you guys know, I emailed Sonicview and suggested they sponsor an s-2 add-on board in the Pansat mode. Some of the foreign litigation has been moving toward imposing liability on FTA manufacturers if their hardware has no purpose other than hacking.

Presently, these module sockets and mounting holes don't have any other known purpose. Creation of an S-2 module in my view would help insulate SV from lawsuit. At least they could claim a legit purpose for the sockets and mounting holes.

I got an email back from SV saying that such a board might be available by year's end. I hope so. The Sonicview is a competent performer for scanning and brings in a good c-band picture at relatively low quality signal. With an S-2 board it might become the c-band receiver to beat.
I see there is a new hd receiver by viewsat called max hd it says it does dvb-s2 and it will be available in a few weeks.It is on their web site so it is on its way,and does not have a place for an add on board.

I'm not going to get excited about any new product until I see it reviewed. I have the Viewsat 9000 and it has some major c-band negatives - doesn't scan c-band channels well and picture isn't as good (on my system anyway) as the Sonic.

In addition, although I have been experimenting with the Viewsat lately (trying to get S-2)
so far that experiment has failed. Now maybe it's me, but all of that together doesn't argue for me getting another viewsat product.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)