Sony BDP-S790

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Got it hooked up, will give some impressions later after I can spend some time with it.

• Menus as pretty complex, takes some time to get it all set correctly.
  • Im using Direct mode, which I hope if like a Source Direct setup and isn't doing any molesting of the image color
  • I set it up with two HDMI cables and have one for audio to the AVR and one for video to the Panasonic. You can set it up where it say it segregates the audio on one and the video on the other, but Im not sure it's that advanced, or if that reduces interference or improves anything.
  • Amazon and Netflix setup were real easy, and both interfaces are the nicest Ive seen on a Blu player so far. I like that I can tell my speed and PQ Im getting from each service, and I tried changing the settings around for Sony's engine that decreases streaming PQ noise; I saw no changes bad or good. Also nice to get the 5.1 DD+ stream on Nflix.
  • I watched the last 45 minutes of Bayformers 1, because I like to do my initial eval's with it since Ive seen it so many times. Set player to Direct, Super Bitmapping ON, 1080p/24 out, ycbcr 444 and 16 bit color, and I thought it looked phenomenal. Watched Top Gear on AmazonHD and it looked great as well.
  • Player also seems real fast, I cant say speed appears to be a problem.
  • Menu reminds me of the PS3, so I guess all the Sony stuff has that XMB now

The 790 thread at AVS has become a freaking joke, I swear some of those people can't back up any of their comments, and then you have the die hards on the other side that are just bad. Form factor is about the same size as my BDT-210. Im going to knock down some streaming while Im on vacation, but hope to watch War Horse and Contraband this weekend. It might be a tad high for some at $250, but it's got all the bells and whistles, exceptional PQ so far and excellent streaming support. My Panny's never worked well with my HSI router, so Amazon and Netflix were iffy. This 790 plays well with my home network and has great Amazon and Nflix interfaces, so Ill be retiring the Roku 2 to the bedroom now and handling it all from the 790.

Sounds good. One of these days, hopefully this weekend, I'l get around to the 844 review. Some really good some fair.

S~

I calibrated my GT30 with my signal generator for the first time, did not find anything weird pattern wise with the 790. It results in a brightness setting with a test disc as the Oppo, so thats a good sign (have seen other models require a different brightness than you may get with a signal generator).

I did find when calibrating 3D mode, that the Sony clipped whites at a high contrast setting on the display. What I did was put in the contrast ramp, turn the set on 2Dto3D, then check, then do the same with the Sony (since I dont have signal generator that will generate 3D patterns). So, since the display could do 100 Contrast without issue, and the Sony needed 95 max, I left my contrast in 3D mode at 95 since the fear would be the Sony would clip white in 3D mode on a Blu.

Everything else seemed to do fine.

Ive also noticed this big infatuation with ycbcr 444 and 422 at AVS. I agree that with every display Ive tested, Ive seen a chroma issue with ycbcr 444 output, and the source Blu is ycbcr 420, so 422 should usually always be the best setting. BUT ( :), and there is usually a BUT ), you have to test real world content as well. Ive personally found, that while a display will fail this legendary fine chroma test on spears and munsil at ycbcr 444 from a player, I do see less banding with 444 output. Been the same with the Oppo, the panny players, the panny plasmas and the samsung plasma.

So, before some know it all shames you for using 444, do you own testing first, there is a good banding test on Ratatouille. Also, I think people forget the Roku/Directv DVR/TiVo/Dish DVR and many other items that output HDMI, are ALL ycbcr/RGB 444 :), and you cant change them. World has not ended yet.

I've not been able to find what if anything deep color does on test patterns. I usually just use auto because the player and display should be able to tell what to do with edid.

Watched two flicks on Netflix streaming today, got "Xtra High HD" quality on both and the PQ is excellent. Nice having the better user interface on a Blu player.

One bug is that the Sony, while watching netflix, will display streaming quality if you hit the "Display" button, but it will not go away with another press. You have to pause the movie for some reason, hit Display to get it off, then hit play again. Not a big deal.

Im getting a steady 5.6mbps down while watching Amazon streaming (per the 790 interface), and that is what I always get on speed tests with my DSL connection from other devices, so the players on board internal wireless does a good job so far.

Found another weird bug on the Netflix app, I accidentally hit Pause on the remote during a paused Instant Watch movie, and it started playing so I thought no more. Well, for the rest of the movie, Play had to be hit for Pause, and Pause had to be hit for play. Not sure if thats Netflix's fault or Sony :)

Regardless, Ive watched 3 IW Netflix films on it since I fired it up, and with a 6mbps DSL connection, the PQ has been phenomenal. I really am impressed how good these look at 1080p/60 from the player on my 65".

Watched Haywire last night, and Soderbergh shot the film with natural lighting and on a Red One camera. The scenes that worked well were razor sharp and looked extremely good, and IMO so far, the Blu-ray playback of this player looks damn good and Im not using any enhancements. Speed still seems to be fine, other than some minor loading bugs I can't complain much. I really dont like the look of the menus, especially the pop up stuff during the film, it just looks like it's 10 years ago. The way the buttons glow on top of the player, blurry like, and the remote have a cheap feel as well. All minor stuff, but reviewing is about the good and bad ;). Im going to do some speed tests next week between it and the BDT500 I should get Wed, since these will prob be two of the top "non Oppo" 2012 players.

The 500 will most likely be the primary player in my HT, not because I expect better PQ, just because I like the higher end look better. The 790 will become my backup and the BDT210 will be handed off.

Picked one up today. Stuck in the software update. Not moving. Why can't these players update as fast as the Oppo?

S~

What settings are you using?

Quick and easy internet access setup. Accessed through existing Bravia account set up for my HX820. Logged on to Amazon and found an HD title with 5.1 audio. Looks and sounds great. Amazon does look better through the Sony. I'm going to watch a BD after lunch.

S~

Sounds like what I set it to. Put in a movie that I've seen on at least 15 different DVD and BD players: HP1. Looks good. I might be hard pressed to see a difference between this and the 320. I'll probably do more testing later. As for the Menu system. I'm used to it because of the HX820. I still don't like it, though. I like the Panasonic's UI more.

S~

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Sidebar