Sony DVI input help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ronaust

Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
I have a older (2003) Sony Wega KV 36HS500 with DVI input (HD ready). I just purchased a Sony DVR player with HDMI output. The DVI connection gives me a blank screen on the TV. The composite connection is OK, but in order to take advantage of the HD upconversion and HD tuner, I need the HDMI. I tried a couple different cables and I verfied the HDMI output of the DVR to another TV with no issues. The Sony tech line is a joke:mad:.

Any ideas on what to try?

Sorry, but you may be out of luck. See if the Sony DVD player mentions the acronym HDCP. A lot of HDMI sources will look for HDCP compliant inputs and refuse to output a signal or downrez if not present. I know that my older Sony 36" 36XBR85 with DVI will not supply this HDCP handshake.

The TV manual says it "can accommodate a copy protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices"

Ok, that's not it. Does the DVD player have a configuration setting that forces you to choose between component and HDMI? My Motorola DVR does that.

Sorry, the HDCP was my best shot. From here on I am just groping. Anyone else? Ferris?

The DVR does have some options for HDMI settings. RGB/YCbCr & Resolution choices up to 1080i. I tried all the settings and no luck.
The TV has no settings for input other than which source input.

I have a DVI /HDMI cable and also tried an HDMI/HDMI cable with a DVI conversion connector.

I have not been able to test the DVI input of the TV, but I know it worked last year, so I am sure that is not the issue.

Check the settings of your DVR.
Make sure the DVR player is not set to output in 1080p mode. Your TV set can only handle 1080i.
Also, make sure the HDMI output is enabled. I am not familiar with your DVR, but sometimes the HDMI output is not enabled by default.

Don't want to hijack your post, just one question.
With the HDMI and DVI conversion connector, do you still have to patch the audio?

The DVI connection requires that you bring your audio in from another source. I have the RCA Red/White connections from the DVR to the RCA audio inputs located next to the DVI.

There are a lot of issues with HDMI/DVI-- some are cables related, TVs, and STB communication. My set worked fine in HDMI/DVI with Dish until about the time HDMI 1.3 came out. With Direct we have the same problem, no worky. Because my set is RP CRT, I don't have a huge issue by using component.:D

I'm having this exact problem with my PS3. The PS3 hooked up with a hdmi/hdmi cable with hdmi/dvi adapter works fine on my samsung pc monitor, but not on my KV-36hs500 (same TV as yours). I agree, the sony tech lines are a joke. They keep sending me back and forth from PS to TV line. I figured out it was an issue with the tv by testing on my monitor, told Sony and they want me to pay a local tech to check that the DVI is working for $65. Did you ever solve this problem? Let me know, please. Thanks a heap!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)