Sony UBP-X800 UHD Player 2/23 Release

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Just preordered from Best Buy, and have the LG UHD player on preorder from Value Electronics. MSRP on the Sony is $299 which I think is a great price.

Going to be doing some comparisons this year on HDR10 streaming support, Dolby Vision streaming, and HDR10/DV disc support.

http://www.techhive.com/article/316...s-video-projector-and-bluetooth-speakers.html

Intersting:

Coming in at $299, the new UBP-X800 Sony Ultra HD Blu-ray player is impressively responsive, delivers a very nice picture, and will also process HDR (High Dynamic Range) content for maximum effect on SDR (Standard Dynamic Range; aka everything else) TVs. The effect was noticeable, with greater detail in dark and light areas, though I saw a limited amount of content.

The UBP-X800 chassis is quite heavy, which might not be good in a cell phone, but is generally considered a good thing for isolating vibration when playing any type of disc. Audio and videophiles generally appreciate heft in equipment; especially here in earthquake country (or is that Oklahoma now?). The other news is that unlike some of last year's players, the Sony is firmware upgradeable to support Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision made a big splash at CES this year, with a host of new vendors climbing onboard.

Looks like Sony is going to offer early buyers two free UHD discs of their choosing (off a specific list obviously). For someone jumping in, it makes the expected msrp even better.

71xQ8nLxJ2L._SL1351_.jpg

Needs:

1. DV support/verification of support
2. HDR/DV support for apps
3. Sony 4K app. Right now only available on Sony TVs.

S~

1 ad 2 I can pretty much meet with the Oppo and ROKU. #3 would seal it if I end up getting an LG OLED. No, I am not a fan of ARC.

Yeah, using the display for DV apps is NOT what I plan on doing. The Roku Ultra has been buggy as hell for me and they keep draggin their feet, so I am just using the Panny 900 for UHD/HDR Netflix right now and UHD Amazon.

If the Sony would get DV support plus have HDR on the main streaming apps, it is all I could want.

Yeah, using the display for DV apps is NOT what I plan on doing. The Roku Ultra has been buggy as hell for me and they keep draggin their feet, so I am just using the Panny 900 for UHD/HDR Netflix right now and UHD Amazon.

If the Sony would get DV support plus have HDR on the main streaming apps, it is all I could want.
I've noticed digital audio blips lately on the ROKU. Not present on any other source.

S~

Yep.

The other issue is when it is in UHD HDR mode, Netflix NON HDR is overly dark, you have to switch to UHD only mode only to watch that stuff. Ridiculous.

Interested in knowing what apps it supports with UHD and HDR. Let me know if it has the Sony app. Right now it is only available on the TVs.

S~

This was posted at the other site, not a big tech review but some interesting notes if accurate:

https://nerdtechy.com/sony-ubp-x800-review

But it isn’t just physical media that it can play. The UBP-X800 has all of the software and hardware necessary to enjoy streaming content. You can watch 4K HDR content form Netflix and Amazon Prime. If you’re enjoying any 1080p content, the built in digital video processor can help you upscale it to 4K resolution.

After a lot of careful research, we did find one format that wasn’t supported: Dolby Vision HDR. This is one of the four HDR standards that are available on the market. The others are HDR10, HLG, and Advanced HDR. The differences between these formats is, for the most part, minute. But Dolby requires special hardware and a software license that manufacturers have to pay to use. Your TV has to be Dolby HDR certified, as do your media players. You won’t be able to stream Dolby HRD content from a computer.

Should Sony support this video format? Unfortunately, there is no clear answer. But there is a solution. Sony has all of the necessary hardware to support Dolby HDR, and they’ve stated that they’ll be watching the market. If this becomes a prominent standard in the marketplace, they’ll offer a firmware update to allow this content to be played back. For now, there is not much content available, so we don’t think you’ll miss it. But if you have already paid for a Dolby HDR television, you might want to consider a player that can support the format.

Shipping today from BBuy, should receive on Friday. Will be Wed of next week before I can turn it on, heading out for Mardi Gras 4-day party on Sat AM.

LOL.

I was able to unbox before heading to Mardi Gras, the look and the weight (its heavy) are just like the UHPH1, which I prefer over their other odd designs. Nothing else really to note, I will get it swapped for the 900 tonight and test some while we get packed for Mardi Gras vacation.

This is what you get after you register the player:

Promotion Code : Redemption code to be emailed separately.
Description : Your product Serial Number is being validated. Once confirmed, your redemption code and instructions will be emailed to you separately within 2-4 business days.

Observations:

• Its quick
  • Handshake is WAY less quirky than my 900
  • Same menus as other players have had lately (no SBM anymore)
  • FW M36.R.0046, no update found
  • Connected to my 5ghz radio fine
  • Ramps up to 16,000 mbps on Netflix quick
  • Ultra HD, HDR and 5.1 all show in Netflix App
  • Netflix app still has debug info popup many machines have lost
  • Netflix HDR and HDR disc are 4k/24 2020 12 bit, as shown in pics below
  • Amazon app is not active yet
  • 1080p blu us 4k/24 444 12 bits, as show below
  • Pretty much all video settings left as "Auto"
  • PQ looks great to me on UHD discs and Netflix HDR

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 438
Reactions: dfergie
Hopefully Sony will now phase out most of their regular BD players. They have to many models as is. Just keep a cheap bottom of the barrel 1080P player and these new X800/X1000. That's all that's needed nowadays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)