Sony was #1 LCD vendor in 4th quarter

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Sony: #1 In LCD HDTV Sales

Explains once again how BD standalones *cough* outsold HD DVD standalones--bundling. Oh well...

When are the Sapphires coming out? This profile 1.0/1.1 crap has to go. :hungry:

News
The company passes Samsung and Vizio.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (February 7, 2008) -- Sony was the number one seller of LCD HDTVs in North America during last year's fourth quarter.

That's according to a study from research group DisplaySearch.

The group said Sony jumped from fourth place in the third quarter to the number one spot. Samsung, the previous leader, finished second while Vizio was third.

Panasonic ranked first in Plasma HDTV sales in the fourth quarter, DisplaySearch reported, with a 38.5 percent market share compared to Samsung's second-ranking 20.4 percent.

Sony's sales jump was credited to a strong performance in the 40-inch and larger category. The company captured 12.8 percent of the North American LCD market, compared to 12.3 percent for Samsung.

Vizio was third with 10.7 percent; Sharp was fourth with 8.4 percent.

Explains once again how BD standalones *cough* outsold HD DVD standalones--bundling. Oh well...

When are the Sapphires coming out? This profile 1.0/1.1 crap has to go. :hungry:

I think it's smart marketing, you get the positive press release, or (quote) you provided in your post, and the sale of two pieces of hardware, for probably not much less than MSRP.
And lets face it, no matter how much you hate Sony, they make a damn good looking HDTV.

...no matter how much you hate Sony, they make a damn good looking HDTV.
The TVs could be good looking, but in terms of performance for the money they have enough competition.
Where Sony stands above the crowd of other manufacturers, is the projector business.
It is really hard to beat the value of some of their offerings in this space.

Diogen.

I think Sony's entry level TVs (Bravias) have been much more competitively in the past 4-6 months. Because of Sony's reputation and their advertising blitz, I'm not surprised people are eating these up even though you could still get more bang for buck from certain Sharps, Samsungs, and even Toshibas. The sales figures also likely reflect the push from B&M floor sales reps (because of the profit margin on them.)

It must have been that XBR5 I bought in December that pushed Sony in the #1 spot. One nice picture. And I have always been a plasma fan.

Sony's are way overated these days. They need to go back to creating good quality products instead of the crap tv's they produce now.

I am in LOVE with the Samsung LNT4081F LED-LCD that I just purchased for my wife. It is so sharp, so colourful , so dimensional , heck it makes watching my Pioneer 630HD 58" hard. I can't say how much I really am amazed at the depth on this set. It looks like my Pioneer might be seeing its last days in my house. My next interest is in the new Mits Laser DLP. My understanding is that they have done away with the colour wheels, stepped up to true 1080P and the set is supposed to do 1,000,000 to 1 with 128% of the NTCS colour gamut. It is either that or I have to start saving some hugh bucks for a much larger Samsung LED-LCD!

I'm hyped for the laser Mits, but they are pricing it like it's a LCD. If it has the blacks and contrast ratios of plasmas with the ability to withstand bright rooms like lamp DLPs and the no-image retention of current DLP's, it might just be a category killer. I'm not a LCD fan at all. I believe that technology only serves a purpose below 42" where plasma can't really go. However, LCD panels keep plasma prices down. So, I consider that part a good thing.

(Gotta love how we veer off topic in the war zone forums! :up)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts