Sony's Dolby Vision Update for Select Models is Live!

Seems to be only for internal apps, not HDMI devices. Current guess is that the full FW is in hold until Dolby releases the black level fix.

OK, so I did an OTA update, got it installed, and my DV on Netflix did not work. Later in the night, I downloaded the website FW, installed it, and DV mode on Apps works fine. Watched some Netflix Bright and Iron Fist, and while I don't use the internal apps, it looks damn good. You need to change the Color from Neutral to Expert 1.

Sony has now removed the DV note from the FW on their site LOL, guess since people were going crazy over not having it on HDMI. Several writers have reached out to Sony, so I am sure we will get an update soon. Bodes well though for the HDMI update looking this good.

OK, so I did an OTA update, got it installed, and my DV on Netflix did not work. Later in the night, I downloaded the website FW, installed it, and DV mode on Apps works fine. Watched some Netflix Bright and Iron Fist, and while I don't use the internal apps, it looks damn good. You need to change the Color from Neutral to Expert 1.

Sony has now removed the DV note from the FW on their site LOL, guess since people were going crazy over not having it on HDMI. Several writers have reached out to Sony, so I am sure we will get an update soon. Bodes well though for the HDMI update looking this good.

My 940E still hasn't downloaded the update. Can you post the link of where you downloaded it from Sony's website?

Thanks,

Scott

I've been following this, since my plan was to purchase a 75x900e. Doesn't sound too promising this one will get a DV firmware update. I figured if I'm spending the $$, may as well try to future proof. My main set is currently a Samsung 60" 1080p. I thought about replacing with a lower model 70" for now, then look at the 75x900f this time next year. What happened to all the 70" sets? Sams has one on their website, BB 3.

I've been following this, since my plan was to purchase a 75x900e. Doesn't sound too promising this one will get a DV firmware update. I figured if I'm spending the $$, may as well try to future proof. My main set is currently a Samsung 60" 1080p. I thought about replacing with a lower model 70" for now, then look at the 75x900f this time next year. What happened to all the 70" sets? Sams has one on their website, BB 3.

yeah, has to be X1 extreme chip to get DV.

Sounds like I keep finding reasons to put off purchase of a 4K UHD panel, this just being the last one. Too many variables in the DolbyVision HDR standard. I must say, he did a great job of explaining the various flavors of DV.

At this point in time the difference between HDR and DV is minimal because of the limits of the displays. DV has the potential of being much better going forward it seems, but the reality is that right now it really isn't significantly better. IMO, it is much ado about nothing much at all right now.

I just hate spending a lot of money on a 4K panel, when standards are still being hashed out. Most of my viewing with be 1080i/p , so I'll opt for a less expensive ( lesser pic quality ) 70" or 75" for now.

Following is a quote from AVS, and then my theory...

"Dynamic metadata streams independently along with the data stream from internal apps. Sony then maps this metadata to the display. But, HDMI < 2.1 cannot pass dynamic metadata. Dolby has gotten around that limitation by embedding the dynamic metadata into the video signal when passed via HDMI. In this case, the display must extract the metadata from the video signal before it can process it. Either Sony TVs cannot perform this process or Dolby has introduced a new method for Sony to be the first to use."

How does this tinfoil hat theory sound?

I could go with Sony tv's cannot perform the process currently, because MediaTek just launched their DV Android TV chips, and Sony uses off the shelf solution AFAIK. LG has had a designed with Dolby custom SoC for 2016 and 2017.

My guess is, when DV and Sony decided at CES 2017 they would install DV on the 2017 sets, Dolby, Sony and MT had to get together and figure it out, which is where the UBP-X700 comes in. Now, companies being companies, none of them shared this little tidbit with Oppo, and the other MediaTek customers until the bomb was dropped, now Oppo has to go out and figure it out, and then get recertified.

Makes me wonder if the UBP-X700 won't be the first DV player to work with Sony tv's, and that was by design...

Sony, using off the shelf parts, won't have the MediaTek Android TV DV chip until this year, prob why they punted on this years models right now. I think this low latency thing was a stop gap to allow their 2016 and 2017 models have it, and that will come from the UBP-X700 and the Oppo 203 when it gets up to speed.

interesting turn of events, since everyone blames Sony.

Apple just released the new 11.3 developor beta for the ATV4K, and DV is now active between a Sony display and the ATV4K. You mean to tell me the world just found out about this new "Sony DV format" and Apple already has it active?

Yeah, no...

OK, so people on the developer's version of 11.3 are playing back DV content so it is confirmed HDMI works. If you have an ATV4K and signed up for beta (it is easy), will prob get the first 11.3 soon.

One theory is the reason disc playback is behind is that of the bitrate and resources it takes compared to streaming, and that could make sense. I also think Apple has a lot more people to work on these things than Oppo. The odd thing to me is, Oppo acted surprised by it, yet Sony had a working X700 at CES playing DV off USB and Disc.

Something doesnt add up.

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts