Sorry to say I am leaving Dish after 11 years

bigdaddy10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Florissant, MO.
I'm sad to announce that I am leaving Dish after 11 years of service. I just could not take the equipment fees anymore. I loved every minute of my service except for the fees. Now that D* has the 5 tuner DVR it was just the push I needed to switch. I'm still leary about leaving a company that I love and have defended at every pass over the last 11 years.

Hopefully something will be done at Dish and they can stop the slow bleed of customers leaving. I still believe in there product and incredible hardware. Unlike some I loved my 922 receiver and never really had an issue with it except for the spotty sling connection. Hopefully they can turn this thing around in the next 24months. If they do, I'll come running back.

- BigDaddy10

We hate to see you leave. We have new developments coming that are in the works, and these look to be truly amazing. I wish you the best with your new service, but it really hurts to see a customer leave. Once I am provided with the new information on our new advanced products, I will make sure to send these to you.

- Lou F.

CES this year should be "Velly intelesting" (apologies to Rowan & Martin's Laugh In).

As BBMP improves, the XiP813 gets released, and some other "hinted at" things come on stream, 2012 should be a banner year for Dish.

Well guess what. Directv screwed up my order. I ordered the new HR34 HMC, 2 HD receivers and 1 HD DVR. The customer Service Rep gave me the regular SD DVR. I tried to call and get it changed back and they told me that I needed to wait for the installer to come in and have them change the receiver. I then asked them if I would be charged for this and she could not tell me for sure. I told her that I needed to talk to someone who could give me this information. Once they got someone on the phone they told me I would be charged an extra $100.00 I told her that was a no go and she wanted to know why I needed the HR34 and another HD DVR. I politely let her know that was my business and then she asked if I had Samsung televisions! I told her due to one of their screens cracking right in front of my face I would never have another Samsung in my house. She preceded to tell me that I must have a Samsung television to make the HR34 work. After all of this I told them to just cancel my order and refund my money because I was fed up. Sooooooo. I am going off the grid. I will not have any pay television for the forseable future. I'm not sure how long I can hold out but I'll be renting a lot of DVD's and watching a lot of netflix and Amazon Prime.

Going from the All everything package for 9 of my 11 years to nothing. Cold Turkey style.

Wow. :eek: Seems incompetence knows no bounds. I too am boycotting Samsung (all products) because of the way they treat their Android customers. (Advertize 2.0 over the air, and deliver 1.6 that bricks phones, leaving most customers with 1.5 forever.)

"...She preceded to tell me that I must have a Samsung television to make the HR34 work...."

Do they even hear what they're saying? Do they ever give it the slightest thought?

My Feelings exactly. As soon as the word Samsung came out of her mouth I saw red. She tried to tell me she did no want to go into the technical aspects of the receiver because it would be over my head. Out of normal character I told her this: You do not have the mental capacity to be over my head, produce one piece of literature that says the HR34 has to be used with a Samsung television. The Samsung utilizes the rvu aspect of this receiver and that is it. She then preceded to ask me would I consider getting a Samsung television! I lost it after that and canceled everything.

Certainly the path I would have chosen, cancellation. I wonder if she will ever realize what a fool she made of herself. Or care.

Dish receiver fees are truly too high and is what cause the op to leave. I have Shaw Direct, which is one of two Canadian satellite operations. Not that it is any better programming wise, or equipment feature wise, but as far as receiver fees go they charge you having one receiver $2.99/mo & if you have anywhere from two to six receivers you pay one flat fee of $5.99/mo, and this fee also includes a lifetime warranty on all of the receivers you have. I never understood why Dish will not at least give you a fee break on any receivers you own.

I don't have DirecTV but this seems out of character even for them. Is it possible they have outsourced to Korea, and the CSR was actually a mole for Samsung?

My Feelings exactly. As soon as the word Samsung came out of her mouth I saw red. She tried to tell me she did no want to go into the technical aspects of the receiver because it would be over my head. Out of normal character I told her this: You do not have the mental capacity to be over my head, produce one piece of literature that says the HR34 has to be used with a Samsung television. The Samsung utilizes the rvu aspect of this receiver and that is it. She then preceded to ask me would I consider getting a Samsung television! I lost it after that and canceled everything.

Wow... so this lady took a feature like the ability to use a Samsung App to access the HR34 remotely to mean that the HR34 can only be used with Samsung TVs? Wow. Sounds like they are hiring some real winners over at DirecTV to be CSRs. And then to think that she's so much smarter than you on top of that? I hope that the call you were on was monitored because that woman needs to be set straight.

You are correct the whole emphasis of this post was that I was leaving a company that I love (Dish) because the fees were too high and I also could not get a receiver for my 4th HD television. Of course I was told I could purchase a receiver off ebay or from a Dish store. That is correct but I would still be paying receiver fees for a box that I own and my bill will still climb to near $180.00!

If I went with Direct I could get similar programming with the HR34 HMC reciver, 1 HD DVR and 2 HD receivers for $155.00. That would be after all the freebies 12 months later. The first year would only be $111.00. I tried to give Direct a try but now I am somewhat relieved I did not sleep with the enemy. I am an extremely loyal person and I know if and when Dish returns to the company that I signed up with 11 yrs ago, I will return.

So now at midnight Dish will be turned off and I will go with Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus. I will miss all of the pay channels shows but it is a good oppurtunity for me to get back in the gym and drop a few pounds.

The CSR was confused so I'll try to explain.;) If you've been reading about the HR34 in the Directv fourm (which I'm sure you have), then you might have known that the HR34 allows you to stream another feed directly into one of the new Samsung LED TVs (without using another box) using the RVU technology in the HR34 box and in the Samsung TV. I think that's what the CSR was trying to tell you about except she did it completely wrong. A Samsung tv is only required if you want to use the new RVU technology but if you want to use the HR34 regularly (with or without whole-home DVR), then any HDTV will work just fine.

I completely understand how the HR34 works with the Samusung television and I tried to explain this to the CSR but she kept telling my that I did not understand how the box worked. The only change that I wanted on my new install was the SD DVR changed to an HD DVR. The new HR34 HMC was the main thing that was pushing me to jump to DirecTv. I already had the box ordered, they just messed up on the HD Dvr. After I tried to make that change she started asking me why I was getting the HR34 and that it would not work with my existing televisions. I also explained to her that 1 day in the week my family actually records 6 shows with overlaps at once so I needed the 5 tuner dvr (HR34) with the hd dvr. From what I have been hearing though I don't believe the installer would have known how to hook the thing up.

I am really surprised that you had that bad of luck with Directv customer service. I have always had outstanding service with them. In fact it was much better than the 1 year that I was with Dish. I really liked Dish networks programming packages but couldn't stand their customer service and the POS that was the 922. Good luck with going off the grid! I've thought about doing the same thing myself but haven't been able to work up the guts to do it yet.

I just dumped Dish as well and have had a completely positive experience with D*. I got an HR24 DVR and 2 H25 receivers with the whole home DVR system. The installer showed up on time, did a very professional job and the system has performed flawlessly. I was frankly shocked at the better picture quality, let alone the flawless operation of the receivers. I am glad to be rid of Dish and their broken promises, POS 922 and exorbitant fees. Maybe you should have played CSR roulette when you clearly got an idiot on the phone.

I may try something, I'm going to see how it is with nothing for a while. Everyone at work knows how much I love television and they have the over/under at me lasting only 20 days without pay service. This is day number one and I did go to the gym today for the first time in a while.

I may try something, I'm going to see how it is with nothing for a while. Everyone at work knows how much I love television and they have the over/under at me lasting only 20 days without pay service. This is day number one and I did go to the gym today for the first time in a while.

:popcorn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)