Sorting Playlist... am I dain bramaged?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

polksda

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Urbana, IL
This should be simple enough to do, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it:

I've been recording all repeat episodes of NCIS on USA NetworkHD in order to build up a library of episodes. I have the main list sorted alphabetically, but all the NCIS episodes show up as a subfolder and the only sort order is newest-to-oldest.

How in blazes can I sort the NCIS episodes alphabetically by title? I need to do so in order to prune out duplicates, since the system is not smart enough to NOT record episodes it already has recorded. That feature only works on first run, not repeats.

What am I missing? It's gotta be a simple setting somewhere.

polksda said:
This should be simple enough to do, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it:

I've been recording all repeat episodes of NCIS on USA NetworkHD in order to build up a library of episodes. I have the main list sorted alphabetically, but all the NCIS episodes show up as a subfolder and the only sort order is newest-to-oldest.

How in blazes can I sort the NCIS episodes alphabetically by title? I need to do so in order to prune out duplicates, since the system is not smart enough to NOT record episodes it already has recorded. That feature only works on first run, not repeats.

What am I missing? It's gotta be a simple setting somewhere.

You said yourself that you have it set to record all repeats! It's never going to give you the option of recording a repeat only 1 time. You're making this more difficult than what it has to be. If its sorting them newest to oldest, just go thru and look at each episode and delete the duplicates. Simple enough? Am I missing something? And you started this thread with the title "Am I dain bramaged? " Survey says......

NCIS reruns on USA are not broadcast in original episode order. Since the list will ONLY display in the order that the episodes were RECORDED, it means manually reconciling a list of (currently) 78 recorded episodes... which will only get more difficult as I record more episodes. The duplicated episodes are not right next to one another in the list.

If I could sort the list alphabetically, it would make finding duplicate recordings infinitely easier.

Now do you understand my question?

I've always understood. Its just that how you want to do it is not possible. You're not left with many options. Sort and delete the way I mentioned or maybe it would be less of a headache to just purchase each season on DVD?

Yeah well if they were actually available on Blu-Ray I would. DVD doesn't cut it.

Pardon me for actually assuming there would be a way to sort lists in both recorded and alphabetical order THE WAY THE MENU STATES IT DOES!

Here is how you do it (I think)

bring up the list
select the folder
yellow button
change order of playlist
A-Z

Here is how you do it (I think)

bring up the list
select the folder
yellow button
change order of playlist
A-Z

That works for the main list. However, as I mentioned, the problem is with any series you have recorded, which are stored as subfolders with all episodes within that subfolder.

The sort order of the episodes within the subfolder IGNORES the sort order setting chosen at the parent level. It would appear that idiotically, the ONLY sort option allowed at the episode level is newest first.

That is what is causing me much gnashing of teeth.

That works for the main list. However, as I mentioned, the problem is with any series you have recorded, which are stored as subfolders with all episodes within that subfolder.

The sort order of the episodes within the subfolder IGNORES the sort order setting chosen at the parent level. It would appear that idiotically, the ONLY sort option allowed at the episode level is newest first.

That is what is causing me much gnashing of teeth.

Why not just write them down as they come on and then check your list if it's that important.
The recver is told to record REPEATS, thats what it's doing.

How does the recvr know you want your eggs sunny side up today instead of scrambled ?

How does the recvr know you want your eggs sunny side up today instead of scrambled ?

Because when I choose the menu option to sort alphabetically rather than in time order, it should actually obey the setting I have chosen rather than following it in the main folder and ignoring it everywhere else.

Because when I choose the menu option to sort alphabetically rather than in time order, it should actually obey the setting I have chosen rather than following it in the main folder and ignoring it everywhere else.

It did for the main screen.
I DON'T know why it doesn't for the internal sub folders, but it doesn't and there's no way that I know of to change that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts