sound dropping for a second?

Can someone ask them about this on the Tech Chat tonite?

That question would get screened right out of the chat! No way they'd let you ask them that. You're gonna have to ambush them with it. Tell the screener you want to ask them like how big of an external HDD you can use. They love those easy questions. Then when you get on the air ask them why they can't fix a problem that has been ongoing for months.

I get dropouts on recordings but its only for a split second. This isnt the same as what everyone else is describing I assume.
There may be several concurrent problems, but the <1sec dropouts is exactly what I'm experiencing. This is being reported on at least 2 threads (maybe 3).

I've mentioned this in a earlier thread also. It seems to be getting worse on mine, now every few seconds and lasting for a second. Had to switch to recording SD. I can watch ABC HD live, but certainly not play anything back or record this channel.

Anyways, I also chatted with the online techs about the issue. They're aware of it, although no solution yet.

Very annoying, been about four months for me now. I emailed quality@echostar.com and
cleardot.gif
ceo@echostar.com in the vain hope I might get a more concrete answer.

I still have another 14 months on my contract, so we'll see.

Thanks for bringing this up during the chat. It's good to see htat Dish is aware of it, but they really don't seem to have their act together. Neither the CSRs (several that I've spoken with) nor the field techs seem to be aware of it, which is why they consented to replace my 722. I've seen no general acknowledgement from Dish regarding this issue.

Possibly unrelated, and off topic for this thread, but I'm also seeing a tremendous amount of pixelation (with suficient signal strength) on my local ABC HD local news (WTVD). Happens every few minutes. I may need to switch to SD also, but I hate to do that. I really like HD.

I have not been noticing it on House, but did notice sound drops on 24 last night on Fox.

Rumor is that Uverse is coming to town next month.. its been at least 2 full months of this sound drop problem.. if Dish can't get it fixed, I will seriously be considering a switch (tho honestly I would be very happy with my channels/$$ value I have with the HD Absolute pkg and would otherwise not have any reason to switch.. but at this point half my shows that I DVR are experiencing this problem)

I hear that Uverse has a crappy receiver/DVR and a limited # of HD feeds to each location because they run copper from the node to the house.

I hear that Uverse has a crappy receiver/DVR and a limited # of HD feeds to each location because they run copper from the node to the house.

You could give me a DVR from 10 years in the future, 100's of whiz-bang features.. if the sound drops every 5-10 seconds.. its still not very useful :)

I emailed dishquality again.. they say they are still working on it (how did it work so well until early Fall?? and if so how hard can it be to roll back whatever change broke things?) and they _hope_ to see an update/fix before the end of the year.

Just glad my contract is up and I will have options available. More than happy to stay with Dish.. but having a problem like this continue for so long is ludicrous.

1-2 second audio dropouts

I just noticed this problem last night while watching the Smithsonian Channel. The audio would drop-out for 1-2 seconds and the picture would freeze for 15 - 20 seconds. Yes, we got audio while watching the same frozen video picture, then the audio and video synched up and all was fine for a little while. This happened on and off for about an hour until we changed the channel. I have my second VIP-722 and it's wired to the TV via HDMI.

Still ongoing.....

Well, apparently this problem has not been fixed as I still get it. Actually the dropouts now seem to be longer. They use to be like 1-2 seconds, but now seem like 4-5 seconds. I am at my breaking point and will have to call this in and add myself to the problem list.

Well, apparently this problem has not been fixed as I still get it. Actually the dropouts now seem to be longer. They use to be like 1-2 seconds, but now seem like 4-5 seconds. I am at my breaking point and will have to call this in and add myself to the problem list.

The guys on the phone seems clueless and will ask you to reboot a zillion times instead of any useful debug :)

Email dishquality instead.

I tried changing the sound output last night to see if I disabled 5.1 maybe the drop-outs would not occur in just Dolby Surround, but I'm not sure I was able to convince the 622 to stop outputting a digital signal.... ah... I guess I should have tried connected analog audio patch cables... will try that tonite. ie. watching HD picture with 2.0 (or pro-logic) sound would be much more tolerable than the constant drop-outs (IMO)

I wonder that the effect is also variable based upon everyone's 5.1 rcvr and how quickly it re-locks when the signal goes wonky.

WAKE UP PEOPLE !!! stop being lemings

A contract works both ways. If they can not hold up the contract terms it is null and void. I had a tech out to my house, which Dish charged me $29.00, and he had never heard of it and told me it was my non-dbs approved connectors? They sent out a new receiver (622) of course the same issue is happening. Every time I call the CSR has no idea what I am talking about, nor does the stupervisor. I told them to send me out two new 722's to replace my 622's to see if they will work or cancel the service. They asked where can they ship the return boxes to and when I would like the service disconnected? I am done, good bye, so long. Six months of not being able to use the DVR, unacceptable. At least acknowledge the problem! Real On Demand Here I come. I can not wait to get back to cable. At least I am trying to convince myself of that.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! JUMP UP AND DOWN ABOUT THIS PROBLEM!!!

These sound and video glitches are nothing the CSRs can do anything about. If your equipment goes bad, then they can replace it, but if sun spots are interfering with signal distribution what can you do? And if the software has a glitch, the CSR can't do anything but sympathize with you. Another issue is what happens when the wind blows and your dish vibrates and tree limbs swing and sway in front of the dish and it rains and hails and snows...signal loss.

Regarding the DVR recording problems, some of that may be heat related. I've noticed these new HD recorders run at a very high temperature. Here's a suggestion: put your DVR in a well ventilated area and install a small outside fan to constantly blow fresh air across the receiver. You may find many of your problems disappear if your machine is cooled down by 10 or 15 degrees.

Good luck.

Fitzie

These sound and video glitches are nothing the CSRs can do anything about. If your equipment goes bad, then they can replace it, but if sun spots are interfering with signal distribution what can you do? And if the software has a glitch, the CSR can't do anything but sympathize with you. Another issue is what happens when the wind blows and your dish vibrates and tree limbs swing and sway in front of the dish and it rains and hails and snows...signal loss.

Regarding the DVR recording problems, some of that may be heat related. I've noticed these new HD recorders run at a very high temperature. Here's a suggestion: put your DVR in a well ventilated area and install a small outside fan to constantly blow fresh air across the receiver. You may find many of your problems disappear if your machine is cooled down by 10 or 15 degrees.

Good luck.

Fitzie

Nothing personal, but you have no idea what you are talking about with regard to this particular issue (intermittent sound dropouts on ABC/FOX). You are as uninformed as the CSRs.

And while the CSRs might not be able to code up a software fix and send it out, Dish does owe it to the customers to make the CSRs aware of an issue like this rather than leading them down multiple useless paths that will not resolve the issue.

Nothing personal, but you have no idea what you are talking about with regard to this particular issue (intermittent sound dropouts on ABC/FOX). You are as uninformed as the CSRs.

And while the CSRs might not be able to code up a software fix and send it out, Dish does owe it to the customers to make the CSRs aware of an issue like this rather than leading them down multiple useless paths that will not resolve the issue.

Nothing personal back at you, but I have had the same experiences, plus a noticeable time lag on HD between video and sound. I also have experienced signal loss from wind blowing the dish, heavy rain, and snow on the dish.

If you have a possible solution other than to say, its mechanical (which is possible), or its electrical (which is possible), or its software related, or whatever, please post it. I'm sure Dish engineers would like to know about it.

The only satisfaction I've been able to get from Dish is "we're working on it."

Thank you for your input. Now how about some answers to the problem?

Fitzie

Look, this is an ongoing problem, well documented here and in other forums. The sound drops on ABC HD every couple of seconds only on live playback or recorded programs, much to our dismay.
This problem is well known with Dish even though though some CSR's may not know at first-it seems some are learning about it as they dig deeper through their trouble shooting.
I emailed echostar directly and they called me back the following day with sincere apologies but unfortunately no good news on a quick fix. Techs are very aware of the problem and are working it. The 'soon' word was used...we've heard that before in other threads haven't we :) Anyways, this is well documented.
At least Dish were proactive with a follow up phone call-good or bad news.

Nothing personal back at you, but I have had the same experiences, plus a noticeable time lag on HD between video and sound. I also have experienced signal loss from wind blowing the dish, heavy rain, and snow on the dish.

If you have a possible solution other than to say, its mechanical (which is possible), or its electrical (which is possible), or its software related, or whatever, please post it. I'm sure Dish engineers would like to know about it.

The only satisfaction I've been able to get from Dish is "we're working on it."

Thank you for your input. Now how about some answers to the problem?

Fitzie

They've told me (via email, not the CSRs, for some reason Dish refuses to make them well aware of this problem) its software... not sunspots, not dirty dishes, not overheating DVRs. My point is there is no reason to list those other issues as they are not related to this problem.

They also claim they _hope_ for a software patch by end of the year... but I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully I will have news for everyone on Monday. With the holiday this week, noone worked Wednesday and Friday. All I can say for now.

S~

I thought this was just me and it was only happening to the Terminator on FOX.

It's getting far worse now. Before I only noticed on the Terminator, but now it is everywhere.

My Sony DD receiver has a blue light that illuminates when a DD signals is being precessed. I not only hear a 1 second silence when the DD signal is dropped, it is followed by a loud poop or click when the signal returns. I can also see the blue DD light go out when the signal is dropped, then turn back on when the DD signal returns. I've noticed the sound dropping out where one would not notice it, but I caught it by seeing my Sony DD light poop off and then back on.

It this a problem and I have no contract.

I am an Archos addict and a Dish DVR addict.

But Dish's customer service sucks bad. They own us an explanation and should let us know their plan of action. Ignoring the complaints is not good business, nor is it a way to treat valued customers. It is however a good way to insure the their quarterly subscription numbers continue to be in the red.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts