Sous Vide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I got some thin, maybe half inch, chuck. Tried two hours. Tough. Remainder (6/8) will go overnight, maybe 24 hours. Have a 3.3 lb chuck going 24 hours. We’ll see.

Yes, I’ve learned- no thin beef for SV.

Cooked St. Louis Ribs (cut in half) for 6 hours at 130F then 21 hours at 150F.
Mustard as a binder, salt, rub and a Wolforth, Tx BBQ place sauce on, vacuum sealed bags.
Removed and Smoked in Orion with Mesquite, Pecan and Hickory chips for 45 minutes.
Good, but on top rack and didn't quite get the smoke flavor like usual.

Reactions: navychop
Now, you havta. And report back.

How so cheap? Nice Irish color and aroma? ;)

I thought his was a crazy idea. A year ago, a relative asked if we would like one as a gift. I declined.

But it’s been sitting in the back of my mind ever since. So I did a little research.

The idea is to cook the food at the final desired temperature. This can take one or more hours. But there is no perfectly done moment, like there is when grilling. You can prepare the food ahead of time and it can just sit in the warm water for hours if need be. It never boils. As with other slow cooking methods, the end result is very tender.

You can cook from frozen using food in the cryovac it came in. Or you can vacuum seal it. Or you can put it in a freezer zipper lock bag. Submerge the bag up to the top, and let all the air out and no water in, and seal it.

Set the time and temp on the Sous Vide device. When the water is at temp, add the food. Let water circulate on all sides- don’t pack tightly.

So I bought the top recommended brand per Cook’s Country / Cook’s Illustrated / America’s Test Kitchen. I got the white model. Of course, immediately after that, the stainless steel model went on sale for less than we paid. Sigh.

Since we weren’t at home, where we have a vacuum sealer, we used the freezer bags. First cook: Catfish! Came out very tender, perfectly done. But I must admit I’d prefer my catfish fried.

Second cook: Carrots. Added a little butter, sugar and salt. Excellent results.

Third: Chicken thighs. OMG!!!. I’ve never had such tender chicken. Exquisite.

Tonight, we will try steak. Guaranteed to not be under or over cooked.

For chicken, steak, pork - after cooking, put on a very hot griddle to brown it and put a bit of a crust on.

I can’t recommend this highly enough. It is wonderful. I’m considering getting a second one.

I bought the Joule. It connects via BT or Wi-Fi to your smart phone. The very simple app lets you cook different ways. You can set the time and temperature directly, as when using a third party recipe. Or tell it the kind of meat, and it will ask how thick it is. Then for steak it will show you pictures of rare to well dead. You pick the pinkness. It then sets the time and temperature for you. Your phone tells you when done. You can open the app anytime and monitor progress. It doesn’t matter if you’re an hour late getting to eat it.

We plan to fill a pot with ice and water and a couple of frozen steaks. Leave it plugged in but off. Call up the app say, 4 hours later and tell it to cook for 5 hours or so. Presto, walk in the door after work and the food is ready. Better than a crock pot.

Some folks prepare complete servings and freeze them, and use the Sous Vide to warm it up. Longer but better than by microwave.

There’s a lot more, but enough for now.

Anyone else here have a Sous Vide? Your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
We use our Sous Vide primarily for beef roasts. Cheapest cuts. Takes better part of a day to cook. We slice thin. Makes wonderful roast beef sandwiches.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but I'm not a big fan of cooking in plastic. In fact my wife and I rarely store food in plastic either. We mainly use glass although the container lids are plastic. We never fill them to the point where the food touches the plastic. Am I overreacting? Perhaps, but I try to eliminate all potential sources of toxins. Those that we are told are fine today and those that are considered hazardous tomorrow.

Reactions: navychop
48 hours!???
Yeah, I was watching this guy on YouTube called Sous Vide Everything,,, he made some 48 hour short ribs but had a fancier vacuum sealer than I did. He actually marinated his shortribs in the bag with the sauce and sealed it like that in the bag. My sealer would have sucked all the marinade out and made a mess so I found another one that did the pan sauce / glaze on the back end which was amazing. Basically you clean off the short ribs as best you can, trimming off all the silver skin you see as well as trim off some of the fat if you wanted to. Then put them in the bag dry and seal. No seasoning whatsoever is needed.

Set the circulator for 155F and put them in for 48 hours.

When you are getting close to the end to make the pan sauce I started 2 TB of butter or so in a sauce pan and get that melted. Three cloves of garlic minced (or more if you like) and let that start to soften up. You don't want to burn them so watch that they just turn golden. During this I have some season from Penzeys spices called Shallot Pepper that has a really amazing blend and I dumped about a palm full in the butter/garlic mixture to start it blooming. Now add about 1.5 cups of red wine (anything drinkable that you have) and let that start reducing for about 15-20 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.

About this time the timer should be going off and take the shortribs out of the tub. I made a slice in the bag and poured all of the wonderful beef juice into the wine mixture. I put the shortribs aside to rest while the pan sauce continues to reduce and get thicker.

When you are ready to serve go ahead and put a skillet on the heat and start searing the shortribs while spooning the sauce mixture over letting it carmelize a bit. Plate and serve when you have your optimum color on the ribs.

Reactions: Foxbat and dfergie
Trying a sous vide, hobo stew type cook without the foil... pull time soon.
Sliced/diced small potatoes
diced a little bit of onion and bell pepper
1 Earl Campbell hot, hot link diced
butter, hatch green chile seasoning, large sea salt, black pepper..
temp set at 195f

Trying a sous vide, hobo stew type cook without the foil... pull time soon.
Sliced/diced small potatoes
diced a little bit of onion and bell pepper
1 Earl Campbell hot, hot link diced
butter, hatch green chile seasoning, large sea salt, black pepper..
temp set at 195f

Not bad, tried a little last night...

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app