South Florida Voom Zone!!!

skakusha said:
Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Thanks. She is a lot of work, but definitely a bundle of joy!

So if I want to have TiVo work with Voom, I should repeat the guide setup, and select Satellite & Cable? I amsuming there is an option for Voom?

About D* vs E*, I'll definitely not commit to any new equipment, with the MPEG-4 conversion on the horizon. I'll just use my old equipment with D*; I have the Panasonic TU-HDS20 STB, great PQ crappy guide and very slow.

As for Adelphia/Telemedia/Comcast/Time Warner :confused: , I'll have to give them a call to see what's available. An HD DVR with lease option would be sweet. :D

I'll let you know how the TiVo/Voom thing works out.

Thanks for the lenghty replie. Keep 'em comming. :D

great info skakusha on the DVR and all the Telemedia/Adelphia etc....
For now I'm sticking with Voom (and my basic Telemedia or whoever it is right now)

Vlad...congrats on the new family member...!!! Wecome back to the forum!

Yep...fantastic news...!!!
I always believed that sooner or later, Voom would continue in some shape or form...great that it happened sooner than later...!!!
Now when are we getting the famous DVR???

Great news!!! Now all we need is the long promised DVR.

And speaking of DVR, I now have my TiVo working with Voom. Thanks, skakusha.

Good to know there is a So. FLA Voom forum

I have beem with Voom for more than a year and I love it. I am just having problems receiving one OTA channel 51 (telemundo) all others are ok.

I recently installed Dish network but nothing like Voom. I am keeping Dish just for content good "Spanish programming". I also requested HD from Dish and there are few HD channels, sound is not as robust as Voom.

Love HD Worldsport, Spanish soccer games live on Saturdays, Basketball Euroleague, and nothing like watching american idol and CSI in HD.

Kordster said:
So how did you get Tivo to work with VOOM?
Thanks

I had to repeat the Guided Setup, and selected Satellite and Cable. Under the Sat options I selected Voom. I have the Voom box connected to the Tivo box using composite cables for now (I plan on buying some S-Video cables this weekend) and have my cable connected to Tivo via RF coax. It's all working fine. Only drawback is that if I'm recording some from Voom, I can't watch another Voom channel. Before I connected Voom, I would record from cable and watch Voom. For some reason Tivo defaults to Voom, when there is an overlap of SD channels between cable and Voom.

Thanks Vlad.
When I set mine up Voom wasn't a choice. I will go through the setup again.

Kordster said:
Thanks Vlad.
When I set mine up Voom wasn't a choice. I will go through the setup again.

NP. Actually the thanks should go to skakusha who originally helped me with this.

BTW, skakusha, you mentioned that "in Tivo, you can choose which duplicated channel to record. For example, you could have TNT on cable and Voom."
For some reason this is not working for me. While I have duplicate channels from Voom and cable; when I select a program to record, thats on SciFi for instance, it only gives me the option to record it on SciFi from Voom not from SciFi on the cable.

Wierd. Not that it matters, I just can't figure out why I'm not getting the option.

Vlad

Vlad D said:
I had to repeat the Guided Setup, and selected Satellite and Cable. Under the Sat options I selected Voom. I have the Voom box connected to the Tivo box using composite cables for now (I plan on buying some S-Video cables this weekend) and have my cable connected to Tivo via RF coax. It's all working fine. Only drawback is that if I'm recording some from Voom, I can't watch another Voom channel. Before I connected Voom, I would record from cable and watch Voom. For some reason Tivo defaults to Voom, when there is an overlap of SD channels between cable and Voom.

You should be able to go in and de-select the VOOM channels that are duplicated with cable. Personally I prefer the cleaner picture I get from VOOM.

You'll find the selections under "Channels I receive"

whazoo said:
You should be able to go in and de-select the VOOM channels that are duplicated with cable. Personally I prefer the cleaner picture I get from VOOM.

You'll find the selections under "Channels I receive"

I also prefer to record SD channels from Voom. I was just curious as to why TiVo defaulted to recording from Voom when it records from duplicate channels.

Tivo Duplicate Channels

Vlad,

Go to the preferences and set-up menu (customize "Channels I Receive") and deselect the Voom channels that you do not want duplicated, such as TNT. Then you can change channels on Voom and still let the Tivy record. When I had set up the Tivo, I opted only to record the premium movie channels and all of the Voom channels. This method allowed me to record shows on cable and still change the channels on Voom, but keeping the ability to record the unique Voom channels. As already mentioned, the analog cable channels are not as crisp as Voom's, but the digital channels do look pretty good. You just have to weigh what is more important to you. . .ability to change channels or recording quality. The Tivo does always default to Voom, since that is the major video source, and cable is added again through the setup. My friends that work with Tivo say that it is coded on the boxes to give Voom the priority.

I still owe a review of the Comcast HD DVR. It is a Motorola box and I am interested to see how it will differ from that of the Voom HD DVR, which is also manufactured by Motorola. I will say I love recording HD, but the hard drive is too small. Once I get a few movies I am out of space. It records between 15 to 18 hours depending on the source.

I have been away from the forum and not watched much TV since I had custom LASIK procedure done. Now that I can finally see the computer screen again, I will probably post a review within a week.

Thanks skakusha,

Right now it doesn't really matter since all of the shows that I record are on network TV. And since I can't record from the OTA locals that I get through the Voom STB, I just record from cable. But, I'll keep that in mind for the future, if ever I need to record from a duplicate channel and want to watch Voom at the same time.

Looking forward to your review of the Comcast HD DVR, even though I don't have Comcast.

Vlad D said:
Thanks skakusha,

Right now it doesn't really matter since all of the shows that I record are on network TV. And since I can't record from the OTA locals that I get through the Voom STB, I just record from cable. But, I'll keep that in mind for the future, if ever I need to record from a duplicate channel and want to watch Voom at the same time.

Looking forward to your review of the Comcast HD DVR, even though I don't have Comcast.

Why can't the local OTA's through Voom STB be recorded with Tivo?
My cable is not good PQ at all and I'd much rather record the OTA feed even if it's not recorded in HD...

truqui said:
My cable is not good PQ at all and I'd much rather record the OTA feed even if it's not recorded in HD...

I'd love to record off the OTA feed but they don't show up in the channel line-up in TiVo. Not really sure why. I think because TiVo just has the line-up for Voom's satellite channels and not the local OTA's for each market.

Since the stand alone Tivo's are SD, they do not have a guide for digital OTA channels. Tivo understands the analog versions with an analog antenna and cable, but not it's digital counterpart: 4-1, 6-1,10-1, etc. The "-1" causes the guide issue. Technically, Tivo should be able to work with the guide provider to create code which would pull the guide data from its analog counterpart. This would take some work, since digital channels have RF numbers and they would have to map it out per region. Also They would need to have Voom mapped out per region and treat it as if Voom where carrying locals over the satellite, much like DirecTV. In other words, we would need to have Voom mapped out per region in the Tivo boxes via zip code.

Voom customers would need to make enough noise for Tivo to do this application change. Since I have had ReplayTV in the past, I have to say Voom customers are fortunate to even have Voom listed in the setup. ReplayTV does not include Voom as a choice at all, and requires software hacks and networks in order to get it to work. As Voom grows, I am sure Tivo will have to make this application change.

It might not be a bad idea to call Tivo, and check to see if and when this change is scheduled. Things have been a little hectic at Tivo lately, so it would be interesting to see how they respond.

New Install

Installers just left. Kinda suprised to see them after all the drama regarding Vooms future. Great professional installation. Took about 2 hours for 3 sets. Gotta go watch Voom!

truqui said:

skakusha said:
Since the stand alone Tivo's are SD, they do not have a guide for digital OTA channels. Tivo understands the analog versions with an analog antenna and cable, but not it's digital counterpart: 4-1, 6-1,10-1, etc. The "-1" causes the guide issue. Technically, Tivo should be able to work with the guide provider to create code which would pull the guide data from its analog counterpart. This would take some work, since digital channels have RF numbers and they would have to map it out per region. Also They would need to have Voom mapped out per region and treat it as if Voom where carrying locals over the satellite, much like DirecTV. In other words, we would need to have Voom mapped out per region in the Tivo boxes via zip code.

Voom customers would need to make enough noise for Tivo to do this application change. Since I have had ReplayTV in the past, I have to say Voom customers are fortunate to even have Voom listed in the setup. ReplayTV does not include Voom as a choice at all, and requires software hacks and networks in order to get it to work. As Voom grows, I am sure Tivo will have to make this application change.

It might not be a bad idea to call Tivo, and check to see if and when this change is scheduled. Things have been a little hectic at Tivo lately, so it would be interesting to see how they respond.

Thanks ska and Vlad...I also answered my own question by buying a Tivo and setting it up...!!!

You are all right in mentioning that the OTA locals from the Voom STB cannot be setup to be recorded in advance but they can be recorded while you have the channel tuned.
I have the Voom STB connected through DVI to the TV and through S-Video to the Tivo. If I tune the Voom STB while watching that input (Voom only) to a local (let's say CBS 4.1) , then I change the input to the Tivo, I can watch CBS 4.1 OTA through the Tivo and record it. Granted there is no PG info but I can use the pause, rewind, etc features...!!!

For obvious reasons (OTA HD awesome PQ) I don't watch like that often because the PQ although good is not HD, but when I have to get up or I miss something, I have it there on the Tivo..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts