Space Shuttle Discovery STS-124 Launch

Yeah, that's his name. Here's a thought: why doesn't HDNet just use the NASA audio feed instead of Dobbs gabbing? They're using most of the same camera feeds from NASA as it is anyway.

I'm sitting here watching the NASA channel and enjoying the commentary far more than Dobbs' awkward chatter.

Greg Dobbs does an excellent job on HDNet World Report. But his NASA coverage is completely off-target. He overwhelms us with facts, many of which are either well-known or simply irrelevant.

His commentary targets a wrong audience: people who might be watching the launch for the first time and just tuned in to HDNet by mistake. He seems to be fighting for viewers' attention, as if they will flip the channel if he pauses for more than a second.

It reminds me a bad sports commentary: it's full of stats but lacks drama. Space launch is such a dramatic event! It requires a much slower-paced coverage, IMO. Sometimes you just need to take a pause, and just experience the moment.

After watching NASA on HDNet for years, I see some improvement in Greg's coverage. At least he now pauses during the last seconds during the launch or landing. In the past even that wasn't the case: I can't forget one landing during which we watched Greg's "talking head" while the shuttle was touching down in the background. :D
(That was actually a technical glitch with one of the HDNet's cameras, but I wish they simply switched to NASA's feed.)

I usually watch live launch coverage on NASA-TV and then replay the HDNet's coverage from my DVR for those spectacular HD shots.

So far so good. No significant issues.

NASA just said they were, for the first time, broadcasting the launch in HD. It's a shame Dish isn't carrying it in HD. Listening to whatshisname on HDNet just bugs me...

I think that HDNet has exclusive rights on cable and satellite providers.

Here is the C-Band info from NASA:
Special HD Launch Coverage of STS-124:
Satellite Coordinates

Program ID: 105, Satellite: AMC 6, Transponder: 17C
Orbital position: 72 degrees west
Downlink frequency: 4040 Mhz
Polarity: Vertical
FEC: 3/4
Data rate: 36.860 Mhz
Symbol: 26.665 Ms
Transmission: DVB-S
Video PID: 0x0057 (hex) ; 87 (decimal)
PCR PID: 0x0057 (hex) ; 87 (decimal)
AC-3 audio PID: 0x0058 (hex) ; 88 (decimal)
Mpeg-2 Layer II audio PID: 0x0059 ; 89 (decimal)

<HR width="50%">
In the continental United States, NASA Television's Public, Education and Media channels are carried by MPEG-2 digital C-band signal on AMC-6, at 72 degrees west longitude, Transponder 17C, 4040 MHz, vertical polarization. They're available in Alaska and Hawaii on an MPEG-2 digital C-band signal accessed via satellite AMC-7, transponder 18C, 137 degrees west longitude, 4060 MHz, vertical polarization. A Digital Video Broadcast compliant Integrated Receiver Decoder is required for reception. Analog NASA TV is no longer available.

NTV isn't on Dish/DTV as NASA is still considering it a test channel (only went live this week, will probably shut off after the mission is over).

Once the channel is permanently established I'll hope for a provider to pick it up.

In addition to HDNet, CNN also is showing it in HD.

Something like that, it's very easy to see, its as bright and large as something like a tile. Then shortly after you see a piece come from the tank and ping off the underbelly of the shuttle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts