Space Shuttle Discovery STS-124 Launch

I think at this stage it's not very dangerous as the air is too thin.

Something like that, it's very easy to see, its as bright and large as something like a tile. Then shortly after you see a piece come from the tank and ping off the underbelly of the shuttle
I just watched it in slow motion. Looks like a piece of foam came off the tank. You could also see its shadow on the surface of the shuttle. The object has collided with its shadow, which means there was a contact with the surface of the orbiter.

However, judging by the number of frames it was visible, the relative velocity was extremely low. I doubt there is any reason for concern.

debris1.jpg

It was right as he said 'we've never seen such a picture perfect image' or something like that. Clicky for bigger version... you can see its shadow too. Prolly no big deal, but first time ive seen that kind of thing even though I know it's usually pretty common.

Edit: here, video off my screen... wonder if NASA or HDNet will DMCA it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NckvMe_cBPY

Just watched the HDNet's version. Wow! Greg Dobbs was silent for almost 6 minutes during the launch! That's a record!!! :)
I should've watched HDNet! :D

I've watched the HDNet version (wndow-boxed SD) of the tank cam about a dozen times now at 1/15th speed from the point where he says "guidance converging" and the piece of foam that becomes visible both to the left of the tank and it's shadow on the shuttle, as far as I can tell, there's no strike. It's visible for 16 frames (at 1/15th speed) and travels the length of the tank, never striking the shuttle - again, not as far as I can tell.

I'm sure NASA, as they just said, will be looking at that footage closely.

It was a spectacular launch! :)

NASA has just commented on several pieces of foam at the Press Conference. All events occurred at a late stage, after the 135-second time frame that they are usually concerned about. So, they don't see much problem at the moment, though they will be looking more closely into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)