Spaceway 1 & 2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shappyss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
LI, NY / Boston MA
I dont no how I am supposed to cite this so sorry if i violate some copyright.

:confused:

"September 08, 2004 04:02 PM US Eastern Timezone

DIRECTV Announces Plan to Launch Next Generation Satellites to Provide Dramatic Expansion of High-Definition and Advanced Programming Services

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 8, 2004--DIRECTV, Inc., provider of the nation's leading digital multichannel television service, announced today a historic expansion of programming capacity with the planned launch of four new next-generation satellites. These satellites will provide DIRECTV with a massive expansion in local and national high-definition (HD) channels, as well as capacity for new interactive and enhanced services and standard-definition programming. DIRECTV will have the capacity to bring these new services to every household in America.

"We have led the TV industry in choice, quality and service and we are now positioned to lead the industry in bringing new advanced television programming to consumers nationwide," said Chase Carey, president and CEO of The DIRECTV Group, Inc. "Only DIRECTV, not cable or other competitors, will have the capability to bring hundreds of high-definition channels and other enhancements to consumers across the entire country with the consistency, reliability and quality that they demand and deserve."

The first two of these satellites, Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2, will launch in 2005 with programming being offered to consumers by the middle of the year. These satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels. With these satellites, DIRECTV will have the ability to bring local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, as well as continuing to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements.

The next two satellites, DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, will launch in early 2007. These satellites will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels, more than 150 national HD channels, and other new programming offerings. These satellites will provide DIRECTV the capability to bring local and national HD programming and other advanced services to every U.S. household. Consumers will be able to receive all of these services, as well as existing DIRECTV(R) programming, with a single small satellite dish.

"Today's announcement is one of the most significant in the history of DIRECTV. We are reinforcing our commitment to best serve our customers with the most attractive and compelling array of programming services available," said Mitch Stern, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "Furthermore, with the launch of local HD channels we will help advance the nation's transition to digital television. Our strongest growth is in our local channel markets where millions of former cable customers have cut their service for DIRECTV; offering local HD channels, as well as a variety of interactive services, will strengthen our competitive position and give cable customers who have yet to switch another reason to subscribe to DIRECTV."

DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, to be built by Boeing, will be among the largest and most powerful Ka-band satellites ever launched. The satellites, which will take advantage of DIRECTV's advanced transmission techniques and state-of-the-art video compression technology, will deliver national HD programming and will be capable of supporting spot beams carrying local HD broadcast channels in all 50 states. Boeing will also build a third satellite for DIRECTV that will serve as a ground spare.

The Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 satellites, also being built by Boeing, are approaching completion and the satellites were recently converted to be capable of offering both video and a broadband Internet service. Boeing is also constructing a third Spaceway satellite.

Today DIRECTV delivers one of the most robust HD programming lineups available. The DIRECTV HD Package includes ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater(TM), Bravo HD+, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and HD Special Event programming for $10.99 per month. This football season, via its exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET package, DIRECTV will air more than 125 NFL games in HD format. In addition, DIRECTV offers a HD Pay Per View channel, HBO(R) HDTV and SHO HD(R) (HBO(R) HDTV and SHO HD(R) are included with their respective premium programming subscriptions). DIRECTV also delivers the national CBS HD feed for customers who live in CBS O&O markets and will launch the national NBC HD feed to customers living in NBC O&O markets this month.

Earlier this year, DIRECTV introduced the DIRECTV HD DVR, the most advanced DVR in the world. The DIRECTV HD DVR enables consumers to record and play back HD programming, record a show while watching another or record two shows simultaneously. It seamlessly supports all these features for HDTV transmissions, standard-definition programming and off-air ATSC broadcasts, all through an integrated advanced program guide. The DIRECTV HD DVR allows customers to record more than 30 hours of HD programming or up to 200 hours of standard-definition programming.

DIRECTV is the nation's leading digital multichannel television service provider with more than 13 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of The DIRECTV Group, Inc. (NYSE:DTV). The DIRECTV Group is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment and broadband satellite networks and services. The DIRECTV Group is 34 percent owned by Fox Entertainment Group, which is approximately 82 percent owned by News Corporation Ltd. For more information, visit www.directv.com.

CAUTIONARY STATEMENT CONCERNING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS

NOTE: This release may contain statements that we believe are, or may be considered to be, "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of various provisions of the Securities Act of 1933 and of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. These forward-looking statements generally can be identified by use of the statements that include phrases such as we "expect," "plan," or other similar words or phrases. Similarly, statements that describe our objectives, plans or goals, such as the discussion in the release of our expected expansion of HD programming and new advanced and interactive programming services, also are forward-looking statements. All of these forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the expected results expressed or implied by the relevant forward-looking statement. Risk factors that could cause our actual results and future actions to differ materially from forward-looking statements made herein include, among others: the ability of our satellite manufacturers to complete the satellites that we intend to utilize to achieve the expansion of the HD programming and other services; the success and timeliness of those satellite launches; the in-orbit performance of those satellites; consumer demand for HD programming and market acceptance of that programming; regulatory and technological impediments that could adversely affect our ability to deliver HD services or other services; the ability of our competitors to expand availability of HD programming or offer HD programming or other services that we do not offer or that are superior to our services; the ability of our programmers to deliver programs broadcast in HD or to deliver other services; and the ability of the manufacturers of the equipment necessary to receive HD programming and other services to satisfy market demands.
"

I just talked to my contact and this new single small dish will be the new 5 LNB dish that only HDTV customers will need. Also every single existing HD box including the new HD Tivo will be able to get all new and existing HD channels without change except for the new dish of course. All existing 5x 8 multiswitches will work and will be required for customers needing more than 4 satellite runs.

Also I've been told that at least the top 30 markets will have HD locals by mid 2005 and could be upto the top 50 markets. Also in early 2007 every single US DirecTV customer will have locals in HDTV including markets where channels haven't gone HD when those channels do go HD DirecTV will have room to offer them. They will have room to offer every existing local channel station in the US in HD whether they do HD or not today.

Also we might see only the top 30 markets local HD stations instead of more so that DirecTV can offer more bandwidth for national HD channels until such time as other satellites are launched. Also I've also been told that DirecTV is looking at a way to offer VOD and SVOD using these satellites. Because these satellites have massive broadband ability they could use these sats for VOD. They are thinking of requireing customers to have either one of their NDS DVRs, Tivos or the HD Tivo to use VOD simply because its very hard to deal with millions of requests and stream everything but having a hard drive they could at request send an entire movie via a Spaceway satellite to a hard drive in less than 5 minutes. So you can watch it right away while it records for another 5 or so minutes until its done and it will keep the movie on the hard drive until about 24 hours or until deleted. They also said that whats good about this system is that if they get hammered the new satellites can adjust on the fly and send the data over at a slower data rate to allow more requests but it would take say 15-30 minutes to download the movie instead of 5 or less minutes. But this would only occur if they had millions of requests for movies any movies at once given half an hour period.

They also are looking at allowing customers to give them their regular boxes and get new NDS PVRs with one year agreement if they agree to keep SVOD subscription for 3-6 months. Their SVOD system would be priced similiar to cable systems where for 6.95/month you would get ondemand access to all premium on demand services that you subscribe too.

For example if you get the Showtime Unlimited and Starz Superpak for an extra 6.95/month you would get Starz On Demand, Showtime On Demand and TMC on Demand. If you get total choice premier for an extra 6.95/month you would get all the on demand channels which would include HBO on demand, Cinemax on demand, showtime on demand, tmc on demand and Starz on demand.

I think DirecTv might just be able to say in mid 2007 that only DirecTV can provide every single US customers with local and national HD and SD channels with a good working HD and SD DVR and VOD services. The key word is every US customer.

If this all actually happens E*'s got a lot of work to do and Voom might want to start looking for someone to sublease their offices.

I wanted to say this so bad but I couldn't say this until the stock market closed but I was hinting at it all day as best I could about insider trading but you all are aware now.

But from what I've been told is that we will see a new 5 LNB dish but it won't be small like todays but small enough. They will offer the top 35 markets locals in HDTV in mid 2005 not counting the main 4 networks in LA and NY because they will have them.

Also the new compression technology they talked about will be box swapouts for current HD boxes that won't support the new HDTV stuff but this most likely won't happen until 2007 and I hate to say this but what other contract runs out in 2007. Should I say Tivo runs out in 2007. But from what it looks like is that the new compression stuff will be used for only HDTV customers and DirecTV overtime will try and get people to get their NDS DVRs for both a DVR and for VOD and at some point they will replace all existing customers boxes to the NDS boxes so that all customers will get access to DVR and VOD stuff and will gain from improved picture quality by going with at least a form of MPEG4 and most likely 8PSK.

Also VOD will be part of the plan and hopefully they can get a good working system using high speed data transfer to NDS and Tivo hard drives.

LonghornXP, I hope the people who pissed off Directvrep don't do the same to you. You are a valuable asset to our forum. I hope you stick around for a long time.

Glad to hear all of this is coming soon. I hope the NDS DVR boxes are as good if not better than the Tivo boxes.

When would the swapouts be for the HD customers for the new boxes?

Neutron said:
LonghornXP, I hope the people who pissed off Directvrep don't do the same to you. You are a valuable asset to our forum. I hope you stick around for a long time.

Glad to hear all of this is coming soon. I hope the NDS DVR boxes are as good if not better than the Tivo boxes.

When would the swapouts be for the HD customers for the new boxes?

I'm not going anwhere. Also swapouts will be planned after the 2007 launch of DirecTV 10 and 11 so that would most likely mean that DirecTV would only have an NDS DVR and HD DVR because Tivos contract will be very close to out at that time. Now I love Tivo and hate to see it go but I might have to very much consider loosing it if I can get a decent working DVR that would give me better picture quality and VOD. I would have to think about this but I may have no choice either but I most likely would still stay with DirecTV before going back to cable.

Hey LongHorn!!

Does this mean we must wait to the middle of 2005 for the new 24 HD channels you were telling us about??????

I would be mighty pissed off if that was true!

Hell Raiser said:
Does this mean we must wait to the middle of 2005 for the new 24 HD channels you were telling us about??????

I would be mighty pissed off if that was true!

No they have enough room to offer almost everything if not everything out there today with that they have today and expect to see most if not all of the existing HD channel within months. What I was saying was that SpaceWay 2 would be able to offer us an additional 25-50 HD channels between its launch and the 2007 launch. Don't fear at all more new HD channels are coming very soon and we won't have to wait until SpaceWay 2 launches. What I was saying that SpaceWay 2 would give us bandwidth for another 25-50 new HD channels until 2007 if new HD channels are launched between 2005 and 2007.

LonghornXP, can you find out or give us a hint if InHD 1 and 2 will be two of the HD channels coming soon?

(This article was written last week) now we know what is happening to spaceway - what about the rest of HNS?

At Press Time: HNS Could Be Splintered. (Hughes Network Systems)

The expected sale of Germantown, Md.-based Hughes Network Systems by The DirecTV Group [DTV], of El Segundo, Calif., is likely to be finalized next month, and a strong possibility exists that different parts of the organization could be split off. One option for DirecTV, industry sources suggest, is for a financial buyer like Ft. Worth-based Texas Pacific Group to buy most of HNS and then sell off its operations in parts to others.

Chase Carey, The DirecTV Group's president and CEO, said during a recent conference call with analysts that he expected HNS to be sold by the end of the third quarter. September marks the last month of the third quarter, and industry interest is growing regarding the fate of the world's largest VSAT services provider. HNS also manufacturers VSAT terminals, it provide Ku-band satellitebased Internet connectivity to consumers and businesses, and it is developing the Ka-band SpaceWay project to provide enterprises with access to high-speed broadband. It's looking as though SpaceWay likely will be kept by DirecTV to provide local channels, while the rest of the HNS empire would be sold piecemeal after the acquisition.

Seems like there is going to be a bit more DirecTv talk now just as there was a lot of Dish Network talk in the past regarding new technology and new changes coming about. This will be a HUGE blow to Dish Network if they cannot do the same UNLESS they can also offer something unique or do something different that the other providers are not doing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts