Spaceway 3 "Hughes KA" coverage maps

Does any of the satellite providers provide commercial service for a small wisp, such as someone wanting to provide service for maybe 6-12 people in a neighborhood that has no DSL or cable broadband for a decent price?

You would have to define " decent price". any commercial plan that comes with guaranteed service levels is going to be expensive.

There are many providers of such service. If you want everyone to be happy and be getting good/decent speeds you need to be looking at about 1 meg up and 3 meg down with an SLA of about 80% of rated.
Service like that is on the order of 2 K per month and about $1400 for the basic VSAT equipment...Then add all the wireless.

Remember it's a shared resource and you will also need someone to maintain the network and be the cop so no one user hogs it all. That requires monitoring software and someone that knows how to use it

Our site has commercial pricing. You want to be looking at the connexstar performance series if you want to try Spacenet.

What about 1 mb down? Only need this for about a dozen users (unless I get lucky and get more to signup than that). No way will that pay that large of an internet bill. I can do the throttling at the client radio. I was looking for something cheaper than the $800-900 T1 line so that it is doable or cheaper in areas where it may be costly or hard to get links into wirelessly.

heres one performance review from a 9000 user.

Got my HN9000 installed this morning. It works as great as I expected. So far the few speed tests I have done, morning and afternoon, are averaging around 1350/186 kbps. Coming from dial up, I am quite pleased with my service. I'm using the pro plan by the way.

As I play around with it, and learn all the in's and out's, I will write a proper review.

And before someone says it, I have been calling up web pages from all over, and no Fap, or speed slow down.

This may be the answer to all the troubles of the Ku system. Only time will tell, but so far, so good.... Will keep everyone informed..

HN9000 info? - dslreports.com

BTW: THIS IS NOT A BETA TESTER.

So their new system has no FAP? That is the main reason why I have not went with satellite broadband before. FAP sucks.

Haven't seen it posted so, FYI spaceway is at 95W.
Curious as to what you've experienced for installation time compaired to the Ku system. Seems like it would take longer from just reading the installation documentation?? Also wondering if you could get away with not using the squinter sometimes (some situations it could be a real PITA to use)?

Haven't seen it posted so, FYI spaceway is at 95W.
Curious as to what you've experienced for installation time compaired to the Ku system. Seems like it would take longer from just reading the installation documentation?? Also wondering if you could get away with not using the squinter sometimes (some situations it could be a real PITA to use)?

You have to use the squinter everytime, there are 6 differant values you have to put in the modem using the squinter before you can commission. It does the same thing a cross poll does. Installation times are actrually the same as a KU. The first one took me about an hour longer but now I can get one installed in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

How much did the squinter(s) and DAPT cost??
Another ? I have not found : If you must switch to Ku, I assume you must carry the appropriate equip, but is the same paperwork usable for both?

I am posting a copy of the threads I started on the hughesnet uncensored forum and would welcome any comments in relation to these posts.
Thanks;
hawaiiantim

I have been using Direcway for many years and just received the new hn9000 modem and dish. I studied the installation and wish to start a new thread to discuss all things about the new system. The new tools: ie the dap meter and squinter that is used to fine tune the dish. I used to be able to take my dw6000 modem to a second location, as I have a second dish all ready focused at the second location. What I wish to know is; if I can take my hn9000 modem to another hn9000 dish already installed at another location if it will work without a re-pointing. I am willing to send my modem to another hn9000 user to test this. I have kept the dw6000 as a back up for just this purpose and to stay on line, because I live in a rural area, where no dsl, fiber optic, ect. is available. If it is possible to move the modem to a second dish already focused, I can buy a second dish from a local retailer (for about 400) and move my modem back and forth.to the other location, thus be able to disconnect the dw6000 and save 60.00 a month and move the hn9000 modem back and forth. As far as I know, no one has tried this. Even the installers I have talked to said so. I live in va zip 22973 ( the closer the the other partissipent of this test is the better).

I will only be able to check the postings every 1-2 days
Thanks;
hawaiiantim

Unless the other user is on the same satellite and transponder and has the same dish used for the HN9000, this will not be possible for someone to help you,

Thanks for that info, does that mean that the modem is programed to a set sat. and transponder. It would seem to me that once a dish for the 9000 is set up you should be able to plug any 9000 modem into it and it should work. Which is basically what i want to do. I have another property a few miles from my home with a camper there that I want to set up a second dish which would most likely be set up on the same satellite and transponders. My next question would be would you have to go through with the re pointing sequence (with out actually re pointing the antenna, because it is already pointed corectly) with the dap. also what does dap stand for. Also if both dishes are set to the same sat. and transponder do you think it will work?

No, your modem is registered to you and your location. I doubt with you having one of the newest modems and newest transponders for that modem right now, and someone willing to repoint their fixed dish for you, and then repoint it to their location again, after sending it back to you,that yet, there are not many people out there using them.

I cannot even clearly say whether my dish and LNB would be the same as yours as I do not know much about the new ones yet.

The term dap is unfamiliar to me and I would hope an installer with knowledge of this will come forth to help you.

The new system uses a band called ka band which the installer said is a very narrow band, which is more precise and can see through rain much better. I am getting 150 signal strength now, before, I had 60-70. It is on a totally different satellite and the dish cannot be used with dw 6000 or hn 7000 modems. 9000 or 9500 modems only. it is a slightly higher elevation and another 10 degrees to the left of the old satellite which helped me out by not having to trim my trees. I want to buy a second dish, but need to know if it would work without re pointing a 9000 dish. I suspect that if you plug in a 9000 modem into any 9000 dish that has already been pointed it would work just fine. But, even the installer could not confirm this. I was the first 9000 install in central Virginia. what I would like to try is to plug my 9000 modem into another 9000 dish that has already been installed for this test, or, I pay 400 + 125 install for a second dish and see for my self. the dap is similar to the old opi pointing device that you use inline on the cable and the squinter is a cover that blocks half of the eye of the lnb and you rotate it 90 DEGREES like 8 times to fine tune the lnb and as the numbers go up on the dap it gets a better signal strength.

Thanks for every ones interest

Tim

If you are Ka band the only way you can go mobile is within your beam, which I have not seen a chart for the beam areas yet, nor have I had time to look for one.

Anything outside of your beam is not attainable with your modem.

Some Clarifications

does that mean that the modem is programed to a set sat. and transponder.
Every modem, whether it is Ka (9000) or Ku (6000 & 7000) is programmed by Hughes to operate on a specific satellite and transponder. Or more precisely, in the case of 9000 modems, programmed for a specific uplink and downlink 'beam' as contrasted to transponder assignments for the 6000 & 7000 modems.

It would seem to me that once a dish for the 9000 is set up you should be able to plug any 9000 modem into it and it should work. Which is basically what i want to do.
That is correct. There is no "intellegence" in the dish regarding what modem is attached to it. As long as both dishes are Ka band (9000) dishes, and you are within the assigned beam.

I have another property a few miles from my home with a camper there that I want to set up a second dish which would most likely be set up on the same satellite and transponders.
As long as it is only a few miles, that should not be an issue. The new satellite for the 9000 (Ka) modems uses a different technology then the satellites for the 6000 & 7000 (Ku) modems. With the 9000 modem, you have to stay within your assigned "beam" for it to operate. As long as the two locations, are only a few miles apart, that should not be an issue. This link will show you the approximate boundaries for the beams. So unless you happen to be exactly on the edge of two beams, there should not be an issue.

The new system uses a band called ka band which the installer said is a very narrow band, which is more precise and can see through rain much better.Tim
Ka band is nothing more than just a different band of frequencies. The simple analogy is that the difference is just like AM and FM on your radio. Ka is not more "narrow" or "precise"

I am getting 150 signal strength now, before, I had 60-70.
Don't try to compare the signal strengths of the two bands. In both cases they are only a relative reference number, and the number is derived differently with the Ka equipment (9000) vs. the Ku equipment (6000 or 7000).

the dish cannot be used with dw 6000 or hn 7000 modems.9000 or 9500 modems only.
The only thing that matters is not the dish itself, but rather the equipment that is mounted on the arm of the dish. Even though they look similar, the equipment is made to either work with the Ka band satellite (9000) or with Ku band satellites (6000 & 7000). Again, think about your radio. Although not an exact statement, for purposes of explanation, one is an FM receiver and the other is an AM receiver (the equipment on the dish arm, and the modem), but they both come into your car through the same antenna (the dish itself).

I want to buy a second dish, but need to know if it would work without re pointing a 9000 dish. I suspect that if you plug in a 9000 modem into any 9000 dish that has already been pointed it would work just fine. But, even the installer could not confirm this. .
You are correct.The intellegence is in the modem. So you can move a modem back and forth between two dishes with no issue as long as both dishes are pointed at the same satellite and both have the same (Ka or Ku) equipment on the arm, and as I said above, as long as you don't move to another beam.

The 9000 doesn't give much wiggle room
Look at the size of the cells:

Thank you all for all the great information;
Tim

I think I will go ahead and purchase the second dish. I will post my results to this thread in hope that it will help out someone else. worst case scenario is there will be a 9000 dish posted on eBay for sale. I should get this done in under two weeks. I will post the results by then, in the mean time I will watch all postings and probably ask more questions.

Thanks again to those who know there stuff! (sorry I don't mention names, every one knows who you are.) I just cant turn back to the previous page now, I'm a slow typer and don't want to lose this,

The term dap is unfamiliar to me.
It is a DAPT
can't remember what the acronym stands for right now
Similar to the OPI but is necessary (not an option) to point or activate a site
It has buttons to advance thru setup process - way way different from Ku setup.

It is a DAPT
can't remember what the acronym stands for right now
Similar to the OPI but is necessary (not an option) to point or activate a site
It has buttons to advance thru setup process - way way different from Ku setup.
Thank you muchly!

After looking at the maps of the cells, then comparing them to my system info I found something that confused me. I looked at the maps provided by the link in the post from fiaranch. My area of Virginia shows me on up link cell 59, the system info page in my hn9000 modem shows that i am on the up link cell 59 I said to my self this is good! Then I looked at my system info page again it shows my down link micro cell as 503 and the maps show 503 being on the Ohio/ Indiana border and not in my cell of 59. This was the confusing part. Armed with this info and maps I went to the sure site satellite company in my area and we got in a conversation over speaker phone with an engineer from Hughesnet and this is what I was told:

The down link micro cell is assigned by hughesnet and they can change it there any time at there discretion. It could be changed , for instance of weather conditions to provide me with better service. If I was to install a second 9000 dish on the ka band and move my modem back and forth and had the same down link micro cell and the assigned cell were to change and were to cross over another beam it could jumble up other transmissions and would automatically shut down the modem and would warrant an investigation and the modem would have to be recommissioned. "your modem would turn into a brick until it was reset by a certified installer"

I'm not sure what to think about all this, but would still like to hear everyones comments on the subject. I was also told by my local satellite installer that he has some customers that live in FL. half of the year and Va. the other half and they have a limit of how many times you can move your system in a one year period. he said 2 or four, I cant remember.

Thanks;
hawaiiantim

it's spot beamed.....as long as you stay within your beam you can move.

A few miles are not going to be a problem unless you are already on the very edge of a beam.

Set up the first dish, peak, pass registration and ACP. then do the same with the 2nd dish. At the worst, when you move the modem to the new location you may need to run ACP or registration again.

As long as it's only a few miles it should not be an issue. Now between FL and VA, That would not work.

Ka band, does not perform better in rain that Ku band. The higher the frequency the more susceptible to attenuation and polarization shifting.

BTW as a matter of courtesy to the forums members you should trim your posts to remove duplicate content

Disclaimer...I am not a HN expert but I play one sometimes on the INTERNET

If you could clean that post up a little I might could make more sense out of it, but here goes some info that might help from what I got out of it.

Moving from one dish to another with the 9000 will not work AT ALL unless you have a DAPT, a squinter, and a GPS. This is were you will have your problem. The modem goes though a couple of different self checks as it is starting up and connecting to the satellite. One of these processes is probing. This is basically the same thing that a 7000 or later model does and is known as ranging. This tells the modem were it is located so it knows the distance it should be from the satellite. This will in turn tell the modem how much power it should see from the satellite in order for it to operate properly. On the 7000 modem or earlier if you had 2 dishes pointing to the same satellite in different locations you could simply change the zip code and force range the modem in order for it to reset itself. With the 9000 you do not have the zip code option, that is replaced by long, and lat, coordinates.

Just to give you an idea of how sensitive this is on one of my first jobs I was doing with the 9000 the long and lat "for example" was 33 55.xxx and 89 50.xxx but I put into the modem 33 50.xxx and 89 55.xxx, The 2 coordinates are only about 10 to 15 miles apart and just on the verge of switching to totally different numbers but cost me over an hour of switching tria's, repointing, endless headache's before realizing my mistake. This made the modem lock into the probing stage and a continuous loop of attempts.

If you change these in 9000 modem you will be see a screen warning you if you continue a DAPT will be needed in order to "reset" values that the modem sends to the NOC in order to verify a correctly pointed antenna. It is basiclly the same thing as a crosspol, but only a physically manual version of it. Since the beam is circular instead of vertical/horizontal there is no way Hughes to test this on their end with a cross poll, so the LNB needs to be covered in 4 different locations each closing 50% of the LNB's vision to ensure the dish is pointed at the center of the beam and not drifting into a sidelobe. This is were the squinter comes into play. You also have the factor of LHCP and RHCP where you have to change the waveguide on the tria to a different position which is a totally different issue.

The only way for the modem to be changed off the original cell is having a certified installer on site and go through the channels to get it switched. So to answer your question you are limited to only the cell that the modem was originally registered in.

If I could comment on some of the rest of the post. It amazes me at how much people think they know and will argue with someone who thinks they know just as much. I do not know who said this but I think it is hilarious

"Tim Ka band is nothing more than just a different band of frequencies. The simple analogy is that the difference is just like AM and FM on your radio. Ka is not more "narrow" or "precise"

The fact that he is so passionate about that statement and to throw in the AM, FM reference when he is totally wrong about both just makes me laugh historically for some reason. This is why I cannot be bothered by sites like "hughesnet uncensored" or "broadband reports". If you hang around these sites you have to watch these people, because they read something on the internet and think they truly are experts. Unlike bajadudes :D.

BTW: DAPT (DiseqC Antenna Pointing Tool)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts