speaker popping need help please.

thoran6

Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
seattle
I bought klipsch 500 speakers, yamaha 465 receiver, rocketfish wireless speaker system with 16 guage wires last week. everything is with hdmi. ps3-cable box-xbox.

I have noticed when playing movies or games on my ps3 blueray that sometimes the speakers makes a crackling popping sound when something loud happens in the movie. i have rewound the movies to the spot where it happens and it makes the identical noise over and over. is this a problem within the dvd/game/ movie itself or should i get rid of the wireless speaker system and put the rear speakers directly into the receiver?

they are all banana clipped in. it has made the noise a few times while watching television as well. i have read that it could be the wiring in the house or the receiver not converting to pcm fast enough. my 300.00 home theater in a box from walmart never gave me any problems. i would think a 1000.00 system shouldnt either. any advice would be appreciated.

has anyone had a problem with this happening ?

thanx, dean in seattle...

I bought klipsch 500 speakers, yamaha 465 receiver, rocketfish wireless speaker system with 16 guage wires last week. everything is with hdmi. ps3-cable box-xbox.

I have noticed when playing movies or games on my ps3 blueray that sometimes the speakers makes a crackling popping sound when something loud happens in the movie. i have rewound the movies to the spot where it happens and it makes the identical noise over and over. is this a problem within the dvd/game/ movie itself or should i get rid of the wireless speaker system and put the rear speakers directly into the receiver?

they are all banana clipped in. it has made the noise a few times while watching television as well. i have read that it could be the wiring in the house or the receiver not converting to pcm fast enough. my 300.00 home theater in a box from walmart never gave me any problems. i would think a 1000.00 system shouldnt either. any advice would be appreciated.

has anyone had a problem with this happening ?

thanx, dean in seattle...

I have no experience with the product, but being wireless means it can have interference issues. That may have nothing to do with your issue, though. I would try running wires and going back to where the popping occurred. If it stops then it's the wireless. If not, it's something else. Make sure to let us know the results! Good luck.

Hi Dean,

You need to create a little diagnostic matrix and start eliminating causes. Here is a suggestion.

1. Is the popping always coming from the same speaker? If YES, then try swapping the speakers with the other side. If the popping moves, you have a problem with the speaker. This is usually an issue with bad solder joints in the crossover, but it sounds like this is under warranty, so just get the speaker replaced.

2. If the popping stays put, check if this is in the wireless channels. If so, follow Raol's suggestion and try running temporary wires to the rear speakers. If the problem goes away, you have a defective wireless setup and should get it replaced (IMHO, this is most likely. I am not impressed with the quality of most of these units, and avoid them.)

3. If it is a wired channel, check the speaker connections. Look for places where the wires are close together, especially for loose bits hanging free. They can arc over at high levels and cause this sort of problem. Swap the speaker cables between the problem channel and another. If the problem moves, you have a wiring problem.

4. If none of this has fixed it, you have a problem either in your amplifier or the source material. Try running analog wires from the BluRay player to the amp. Does the problem go away? If so, try running the HDMI directly to the TV and use the internal speakers. If the problem goes away, you have an amplifier problem. If the problem follows, you have a problem with the Blu Ray player and should have that replaced.

Hope that helps. The general rule is to take it a step at a time, change just one thing and see how the problem changes. Since there are only 6 components (speakers, receiver, BluRay, wireless rear, speaker cables and HDMI cable) you eliminate each as the source before movin g on to the next.

thanx for advice

thanx for the advice on my popping speakers. it is greatly appreciated. i have tried 4 other forums and this is the only one that i got responses from. dean in seattle

it almost sounds like some of the speakers can't handle the volume level they're getting.

In my experience, overdriving a speaker doesn't do a popping sound, but rather kind of a buzzing as the speaker hits the end of travel.

Overdriving an amplifier usually just sounds loud and vaguely uncomfortable at first. That's because an overdriven amp will go into clipping, which turns sine waves into square waves. Sound gets harsh, but not popping. What the OP described was occasional loud pops on top of the sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)