Speeds dropping really low at primetime

mobi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
usvi
I've called the company many times but they don't work at night when it happens.
So i'm asking you guys in the know how. this problem is in a huge area they serve
others have complain also.If the nodes cannot handle the traffic at peak time what else can be done
We are not getting the speeds we paying for.Will more nodes in the area improve speeds.
it's a n HFC network

I believe the cable plant is shared and that part is getting saturated. A less likely scenario is that the fiber is inadequate to meet the demand. Only your ISP knows for sure what needs upgrading.

Its not " the fiber" its the bandwidth allocated on " the fiber".. the routers and switches that handle the traffic are not keeping up with the amount of traffic created at prime time

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: TheKrell
Its not " the fiber" its the bandwidth allocated on " the fiber".. the routers and switches that handle the traffic are not keeping up with the amount of traffic created at prime time

Why would you point the finger at the fiber part, rather than the cable part?

Of course it isn't the customer's place to tell the broadband provider what's wrong or how to fix it.

What needs to happen is that the provider needs to be made aware (called out) in popular public forums (Twitter and Facebook are good for this) that there is a systemic problem. They can't hide behind "up to" clauses (as they will if you go toe-to-toe with a CSR) when the public perception is that they generally aren't providing the service you're paying for.

Reactions: TheKrell and DWS44
We've got CenturyLink DSL and it seems slower in the evenings. I switched our WiFi channel to one that's unused but it made no difference. We were on Ch 1 with lots of other users, guess because our router selects the WiFi channel automatically.

I switched our WiFi channel to one that's unused but it made no difference. We were on Ch 1 with lots of other users, guess because our router selects the WiFi channel automatically.
Why are there "lots of other users" on your Wi-fi?

I'd guess that your DSL connection is overloaded. The phone companies used to brag that your DSL connection was all yours all the way to the central office but the reality is that it is typically shared through the use of multiplexers that put your traffic, along with dozens of others, onto a much smaller number of wire pairs. The thinking was that not everyone would be pounding the internet all the time but in this day and age of streaming TV, it turns out they underestimated demand.

I've called the company many times but they don't work at night when it happens.
So i'm asking you guys in the know how. this problem is in a huge area they serve
others have complain also.If the nodes cannot handle the traffic at peak time what else can be done
We are not getting the speeds we paying for.Will more nodes in the area improve speeds.
it's a n HFC network

is there a service that doesnt slow down at peak times?

also read your contact, you are paying for UP TO xxxmbps, not a minimum

Try $80.00 usd for 25 mbps. Go ahead and laugh now
You haven't given us much to work with. What kind of streaming are you doing? How many devices are connected and streaming or downloading at the same time? What model of modem and router are you using? Are your devices using wireless or direct connections to your router?

i have 2 options
cellular or satellite
Some who don't think they have other options actually have access to microwave broadband.

Fortunately for you and others in your broadband situation, there's still satellite TV that delivers their product without demanding a broadband connection.

Some who don't think they have other options actually have access to microwave broadband.

Fortunately for you and others in your broadband situation, there's still satellite TV that delivers their product without demanding a broadband connection.

you mean a wisp? i looked into that
seems they cant get through trees

• Sad
you mean a wisp? i looked into that
seems they cant get through trees
If you live in a forest of tall trees, WISP is not an option. Orchards and groves may or may not be show stoppers.

Some can find relief from a different wireless provider (sometimes even using the same underlying carrier).

If you live in a forest of tall trees, WISP is not an option. Orchards and groves may or may not be show stoppers.

Some can find relief from a different wireless provider (sometimes even using the same underlying carrier).

trees just have to block LOS to the towers.
magnolias are very dense

I'd guess that your DSL connection is overloaded. The phone companies used to brag that your DSL connection was all yours all the way to the central office but the reality is that it is typically shared through the use of multiplexers that put your traffic, along with dozens of others, onto a much smaller number of wire pairs.

True story. About 16 years ago I subbed to "Phonom", which was a VoIP + wirespeed DSL service for $60. This was offered by my ILEC Cavalier Telephone. The phone didn't work for a month or two before they figured out their network bottleneck. But I became friends with one of their techs who had to drive up from Richmond to diagnose my problem. He mentioned that in the CO, after the DSLAM, his TP cable went into an old 10Mbps switch! I might have been able to go above 8Mbps had that switch not been in the way. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)