Speeds dropping really low at primetime

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You haven't given us much to work with. What kind of streaming are you doing? How many devices are connected and streaming or downloading at the same time? What model of modem and router are you using? Are your devices using wireless or direct connections to your router?
This issue is in various areas here, my sister just have a laptop paying for 6 mbps most times it's under 1..Asus routers no streaming,2 devices connected.arris TM822 modem

The others are saying not enough info to go on. I looked at your modem description.
Briefly. My ISP...all terminology aside...uses fiber to nodes then cable to your house. With amplifiers spaced on the coax feed so many whatever feet. I've been at the headend where the engineer worked with a field tech many miles away in another town.
Laser cards were swapped out...8mw for a 10, 10.5, 11. Until the field tech was happy. That said.

You have VOIP I take it. And a pretty good modem. I purchased my own after having tons of issues with the ISP modem.
What peed me off was when I upgraded to the 50meg package from 10megs, it was weeks of getting only 20 at most and I was told "I should be happy".
I wasn't. Then discovered my (their) modem was only a 4 channel down/2 channel up device. My friend the fiber tech knew right away what phone support didn't. I needed an 8/4 modem. And off to Wally World I went.
A phone call and a few minutes of them provisioning the modem and I was getting 52megs down/10 up.
I now have their 100meg package. I get at least that going to Speedtest.net. I don't have nor want VOIP.
I tell everyone pissed at the phone service here to just go get a Vonage box and be over with it. Even the ISP says theirs is crap. Under their breath.

Knowing an engineer has given me a lot of knowledge. I get phone calls from him to try different things here for him. I'm way out in the sticks. In my image is a screen shot of my Arris modem status screen. When I have issues here that's where I go.
Initially with the 50meg package I saw 2 channels down that would increment uncorrectables in the order of tens of thousands every time I refreshed the page. Long story short. ISP sent field techs. Phone support didn't get it. I got new coax from the pole to the house. Signals levels were checked. But my 50megs was still in the 20's. I texted Isaac a screen shot of the modem status.
And within a few minutes after an "OH THAT" reply I was getting what I paid for.
One time with my 100meg package the same thing happened. A card swap at the head end and me and everyone around me were happy.

Wifi...2.4gHz with everyone in the household connected to it? Yeah don't expect much in terms of speed.
A router with 2.4 & 5gHz will fit you better. And use Ethernet connections on the router as much as you can.
What kind of speed are you getting cabled to your router/modem as opposed to wifi anyway??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-21 Status.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-01-21 Status.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 209
My ISP...all terminology aside...uses fiber to nodes then cable to your house.
Phone companies are perhaps more inclined to use "pair gain" equipment on their POTS lines rather than fiber.

Nonetheless, we're not going to be able to fix the problem even if we know precisely what the problem is. The solution is only going to come from the telco understanding that not solving the problem is going to bring them injury in some form.

Reactions: TheKrell
Pair gain dsl is fed by fiber to terminal..then copper to the customer...its a terminal in the field
Phone companies are perhaps more inclined to use "pair gain" equipment on their POTS lines rather than fiber.

Nonetheless, we're not going to be able to fix the problem even if we know precisely what the problem is. The solution is only going to come from the telco understanding that not solving the problem is going to bring them injury in some form.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Not exactly sure if the OP has DSL or cable Internet. My area is/was the testbed of Adelphia. Time Warner also moved in and now there's basically an abandoned satellite farm test bed close by. Sure wouldn't mind having one of those huge commercial dishes.
The rural electric coop is stringing fiber all over the place. That will break the monopoly and finally provide those who only had satellite options up until now with good service. But their pricing is nowhere near competitive. Another thing though is where my ISP had a data cap, once REC moved in. They removed it. Days of killing my streaming devices or remembering to shut them down before going to sleep, to the store, are over thank God.
Like most FIOS customers though, we've had "fiber" for years. Not that you have fiber right up to your house.
All in all getting blown off by your cable company or your service call is just a field tech splicing a few connectors and taking a signal reading really sucks. I know. I depend on reliable Internet for my work here. Techs will close out a service ticket fast with the least amount of work.

Yes the newer stuff uses fiber to the terminal...copper t3s etc have been retired due maintenance costs
In lieu of fiber, pair gain equipment connects the CO and the DLC using multiple pairs of copper. Twisted pair copper goes from the DLC (terminal) to the DEMARC (house).

The TS (Topic Starter) stated "HFC network" (Hybrid Fiber-Coax) which is almost certainly cable broadband.

Most people my age think of HFC as being Household Fiance Corporation.:rolleyes
In that case monitoring the modem management interface would be a good idea.
Signal and most importantly uncorrectables. Been told my signal is adequate but a little low.
Refreshing the page every 30 seconds or so will show head end issues.
I'd be interested knowing speed at the modem using a patch cable to the modem with a pc.
Looking for bottlenecking at certain low/high traffic periods.

Yes the newer stuff uses fiber to the terminal...copper t3s etc have been retired due maintenance costs
Copper hasn't been retired in my area as there isn't fiber to move to. There is only what's inside the pressure sheath.

It appears that your research and/or experience is not entirely representative of the greater industry.

Really?... unless you have dial up ..you dont have copper pairgain....fiber is in the trunks
Copper hasn't been retired in my area as there isn't fiber to move to. There is only what's inside the pressure sheath.

It appears that your research and/or experience is not entirely representative of the greater industry.

Its not " the fiber" its the bandwidth allocated on " the fiber".. the routers and switches that handle the traffic are not keeping up with the amount of traffic created at prime time

Met one of the guys in a bucket truck yesterday. t He didn't say routers & switches but basically said it's overloaded at times.They have passed the info up higher command.
If only a few people are complaining i don't see them doing anything. Waiting to see if they credit my bill, if not then i take it public

Got a hold of my fiber guru and spoke for a long time. Cable providers operate differently but got some general info.
DOCSIS 3.0. Apparently our company assigns channel 1, which can be a certain frequency and in places channel 2 for 10mbps customers. 50 and 100 mbps need an 8 down 4 up modem.
Because that's the way it's done here. If ch 1 is in an area of ex: 100 customers and those 10mbps customers engulf the data capacity of the node. Everyone suffers.
I was told that it is possible in an area where bottlenecking happens, they could assign certain 10 mbps customers channel 2.
or any channel from 2-8 if in fact they have a modem with those capabilities on a node.
Getting something like that done takes a bump up the customer service tier to engineering. Difficult to do for "us".
That's how I finally met Isaac. We hit it off well. But finally getting up the ladder to someone like him was frustrating.

Then he got into DOCSIS 3.1 and modems. I was told that they are smart enough to detect bottlenecking and switch channels, or frequencies on their own. Apparently it's easier for the geeks at the head end with 3.1 because it's mostly hands off and everything is done in software. He said the <explicit> guys don't look for problems. No problems reported, easier work day.

Again. I feel for everyone in a situation like this subject. But upgrading to 50megs for 10 bucks a month more took away tons of headaches after discovering that I needed a different modem than what I used for 10mbps which would only give me ~20 down max. Off to Wally World and to the cable office to return their equipment and save a few bucks a month. 100mbps now is more than I need. But it's nice.

They dont know routers and switches...only outside plant.....try calling tech support or ask that it be bumped up to tier 2 support
Met one of the guys in a bucket truck yesterday. t He didn't say routers & switches but basically said it's overloaded at times.They have passed the info up higher command.
If only a few people are complaining i don't see them doing anything. Waiting to see if they credit my bill, if not then i take it public

With cable, slow downs during peak hours should have went away as cablecos started to deploy D3 10 -12 years ago to take advantage of multi-frequency bonding. First thing I would do is figure out how many downstream channels the cable company is boding in years area, and then make sure your modem can support at least that many. If there are 24 QAMs being bonded, and your modem is an old model that can only support 4 channel bonding, you will have issues. Also look at the signal levels, if the levels are borderline, that can cause problems as well. Signal levels fluctuate with temperature. If It’s borderline during the day, some frequencies may go out of spec as evening approaches and temperatures change.

Most ISPs over provision service by 10 – 20%. I pay for 940 x 35, which is set to 1200 x 42, and can pretty much hit 940 or higher x 40 no matter the time of day on Charter in an area bonding 31 QAM + 1 OFDM on the downstream and 4 channel bonding on the upstream.

You know as well as I do that is garbage. No ISP is going to sell 100 Mbps service and intentionally scale it back to 70. Comcast, Charter, Cox, Altice, Verizon, AT&T even HughesNet and others all over provision by up to 20%. In the GUI on some cable modems you can see the exact provisions set by the bin file. There is enough evidence scattered around the internet to prove the majority of providers over provision their tiers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts