Split joey to 2 tvs

Markmark

Original poster
Feb 24, 2021
75783 (Quitman, TX)
Several post sound like I should be able to use 2 tvs on one joey. But doesnt work. I want to split this signal from one Joey to 2 TV's I have a 35' H DMI cable and a simple splitter but when I plug in hdmi cable to 2nd tv I lose signal unless I have 2nd tv on first. Then when turn off the 2nd TV the signal goes out on the 1st TV. Then I unplug the 2nd tv hdmi the first tv signal comes back but no sound. In the corner of the screen it say joey going in to stand by. Hit any key sound comes back on. Any suggestion I thought this was simple.

I have a similar setup with 2 TVs connected to the same Joey 2. I might be able to give you some ideas.
Basement. 70 “ Vizio on one wall and 40” 10 yr old Sony on the other side of the same wall, which is used as an exercise room. The cable comes from Hopper 3 to joey 2. HDMI cable from Joey 2 to HDMI Bi-direction switch ( without a power cord). Then, 2 HDMI cables from this switch to 2 TVs. If the Vizio is on with Joey 2, and I want to use the other tv, I always turn Vizio and Joey 2 off. I take my 52.0 remote with me to the exercise room. (Joey 2 is there and I use Sony tv remote to turn it on and adjust volume .) I change the direction on switch to 2, which is connected to Sony tv. I turn Sony and Joey 2 on. It works perfect.. Of course you can not use both tvs with Satellite at the same time.
I needed to make one adjustment with Joey audio settings. I turned “Dolby” off because ancient Sony couldn’t process Dolby audio signal. No sound from Sony when Dolby is on!

hopefully, you will figure it out.

I don't know anything about Joeys, but I used a powered HDMI splitter to split the HDMI on my 722. Works great.
Powered is definitely the way to go. I ended up switching over to a 4x2 matrix to really "loosen" things up but alas it comes with it's own glitchery (pat pending LOL)

Yes, powered splitter is the best way to go. I have a joey going to a powered splitter with hdmi. The splitter then sends the signal also via hdmi to my a/v receiver (which then goes to my projector), another output goes to a tv in the office room, and the third goes to a bedroom tv. No problem with any of them. I suggest a fairly good splitter, not a real cheap one. I bought a goFranco 4x1 for about $70. Another tip - is that you should always get one more outlet than you think you need. If you want to go to two tvs get a three output splitter. If you want to go to three displays, get a four output splitter. The extra output can often solve a lot of problems if one output suddenly fails.

Reactions: charlesrshell
shortspark my wife needs more HDMI ports for a laptop. I want to get a 1x4 powered spliter. Should I get one that has switches on it or just one that mirrors only? Also may use it for a Hopper 3.

shortspark my wife needs more HDMI ports for a laptop. I want to get a 1x4 powered spliter. Should I get one that has switches on it or just one that mirrors only? Also may use it for a Hopper 3.
What does she need more HDMI ports for? If you're hoping to have a 2nd monitor (so you can have a wider desktop), a splitter won't work. The laptop will still see it as a single display. So yes, you can get a 1x4 (1x2 whatever) splitter, but you're going to see the same thing on all screens (mirror).

Check and see if there's a Display Port (possibly a mini display port) on the laptop. Then you can get an adaptor from Display Port (or mini) to HDMI and feed two distinct signals to two different monitors.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What does she need more HDMI ports for? If you're hoping to have a 2nd monitor (so you can have a wider desktop), a splitter won't work. The laptop will still see it as a single display. So yes, you can get a 1x4 (1x2 whatever) splitter, but you're going to see the same thing on all screens (mirror).

Check and see if there's a Display Port (possibly a mini display port) on the laptop. Then you can get an adaptor from Display Port (or mini) to HDMI and feed two distinct signals to two different monitors.
She just wants to see same thing. How does this model look to you?

Amazon product ASIN B00CUMJRBO

She just wants to see same thing. How does this model look to you?

Amazon product ASIN B00CUMJRBO
It will probably work, and it's relatively cheap and Amazon, so if it doesn't you can send it back.

My thought though is do you really need 4 outputs? You could pick out a 2out (or even a 3out) for 1/2 the cost. I know it's not a lot of money, but unless I thought there was a CHANCE of using 4 outputs, I would get something smaller. JMO of course.

It will probably work, and it's relatively cheap and Amazon, so if it doesn't you can send it back.

My thought though is do you really need 4 outputs? You could pick out a 2out (or even a 3out) for 1/2 the cost. I know it's not a lot of money, but unless I thought there was a CHANCE of using 4 outputs, I would get something smaller. JMO of course.
Thanks sam_gordon and shortspark