Spotbeams and Local Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Just a quick question regarding spotbeams and local stations. I know this has been probably answered btu is the RSNs spotbeamed or can you pick them up anywhere? Also are local stations spotbeamed so you can only pick them up in the beam? I have D* for my baseball and I am thinking about "moving" to SoCal so I can watch my Dodgers play on KCAL and FSN West. Thanks for your time.

I guess my question should have been more that I am moving from Northern calif back to the LA area so I can get my Dodgers on KCAL and FSN West. Is this doable and will there be any problem with the "reception"? I really don't care about HD that much. Also what about the local channels since KCAL is part of this? I wasn't sure if the LA stations were spotbeamed or not. Thanks

RSNs are on the national beam. Local stations are spotbeamed for the exception of the big four networks in LA and NY.

I guess my question should have been more that I am moving from Northern calif back to the LA area so I can get my Dodgers on KCAL and FSN West. Is this doable and will there be any problem with the "reception"? I really don't care about HD that much. Also what about the local channels since KCAL is part of this? I wasn't sure if the LA stations were spotbeamed or not. Thanks

Directv.com has a spot in the Sports programming on their site for RSN's.You type in your zip and you can see what Rsn's you would get.
Here it is http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

So the other channels in LA such as KCAL9, KTTV11 and KCOP13 are on a spot beam? Also can't pick them up muchpast Fresno? Thanks

Last edited:
These LA stations are not spot beamed:
KCBS-TV (CBS - Los Angeles) HD & SD
KNBC-TV (NBC - Los Angeles) HD & SD
KTLA-TV (CW - Los Angeles) SD
KABC-TV (ABC - Los Angeles) HD & SD
KCAL-TV (Los Angeles) SD
KTTV-TV (FOX - Los Angeles) HD & SD

So, spiderman, in other words when I do "move" back to the LA area I should be able to "pick" up these SD channels with no problems on my reciever from NorCal? I am really intereted in picking up the Dodger games on KCAL when they aren't on the local RSN West feed. I guess I could just move and see what happens. Thanks

Thanks, I did go ahead and "moved" my service and my wife says the locals are coming in OK but my RSNs aren't showing up. I called CS last night and they reset them so I'll call her to se if they are showing up. I won't be home until this weekend so I won't see the real results.

I found out that with only having the Family package I wasn't eligible for the RSNs, so I went and added on the Multisport package and it now works well. I will think about just upgrading to the next package, Choice, and think about dropping the MS package. I will only save 2 bucks by this though. Other than that I pick up SoCal stations with no problem up North.

If you just added the Sports pack you will have to keep it for 30 days...otherwise they will charge you a $10 fee for early termination. Premium services have a 30-day minumum period without penalty.

Remember, Geronimo. This one is for DirecTV.

Yes, on DirecTV, the only CONUS Los Angeles stations are now the big four networks. KCAL and KTLA were moved to spots.

My bad. thanks for the correction Greg. I don't know how I made that mistake.

If KCAL is spotbeamed then how come I can get it where I live? Without getting into specifics I am at least 450 miles away.

If KCAL is spotbeamed then how come I can get it where I live? Without getting into specifics I am at least 450 miles away.

It may not be. The earlier poster said he thought it was and I made a mistake and thought I was in the E* forum (it is spot beamed there)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)