Spring Cleaning?

I like the consolidation ideas. I'd definitely merge the ones you mentioned, and all the DirecTV forums except for cutting edge, and definitely the Influencers could be one forum.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Good thought on the influencers... I will have to look later at the script I made to import their videos to the forum and see if it can all go into one forum, or needs to be seperate.

I would like to hear others feedback on the Krells idea.
I kinda like them separate as they are already in their own "section" now. I also imagine that keeping them that way, plus adding a couple new ones, would be much better for rendering the ad dollars/traffic than combining them into some nested, harder to surface, hierarchy.

The CE forums can't be combined. Just let it go. Perhaps take a step back, think about it for a second, and also consider why no one here is obligated to give you context as to why.
Did you not see the quote of mine that was in your post, where I said Scott already said he has to keep it separate, so obviously I understood that.

Does not change the fact that no one has posted in there for more then 7 months, it seems like wasted space on this site.

Then the other fact that the other 3 DirecTV Forums has seen about 12 Posts in a week, 2 of them are mine about the Bally RSN issues.

While the Dish forum has seen hundreds of posts in a week..

You might want to actually read that last thread before making false claims about how active the CE program is solely based on the last time a post visible to non-CE members was made.
Ok, ignore the CE, which I already was based on what Scott posted, others keeps bringing it up and then respond.

Still does not change the fact that the DirecTV section is totally dead and does not deserve 3 separate forums ( not CE) based on the one allotted Dish.

12 posts across three sections in a week shows there is little to no interest.

The posts on the Dish forum this week involve complaints about missing channels, complaints about guide data and VOD, and Dish specific firmware and hardware issues, none of which currently apply to DIRECTV. A recent one is from someone who works as a CSR for Dish asking if anyone else is having 119 reception issues caused by the solar storm. DIRECTV also has a satellite on that slot, however it is only used for MPEG-2 locals for a handful of markets, so even if DTV was affected too, these are channels that are hidden by default for anyone with a HD setup and requires a LNB that isn't part of standard DTV upgrades anymore, so most DTV subscribers who frequent this forum wouldn't notice.

Right now is always a lull period since we're well past the start of the MLB season and the NHL and NBA are in playoffs, so unless something goes wrong there isn't much to regularly discuss. And even though there aren't new replies, most of the information in the reference and schedule threads are regularly updated on a weekly basis. If we could, we would have real time or daily updates for the transponder maps like some people used to offer for Dish, but DIRECTV uses a different guide data format that requires processing and conversion, so unless we are aware of a major change we only do it on Wednesdays and special occasions like the first week of Sunday Ticket or that one night where every MLB, NHL and NBA team is in action. Other reference threads only get updated once a year or when there's a major change. i.e. the ongoing 101 spotbeam shutdown, or DIRECTV reverting back to using "D" instead of "T" for their official satellite designations.

There are a lot of major changes on tap that will generate DIRECTV discussion, including one of DIRECTV's satellites being retired in the next few weeks, the monthly batch of FAST channels going live, NBC's 4K olympics coverage, massive changes to the RSN and sports scene because of the NCAA realigment, the Chicago RSNs changing, Longhorn ceasing operations, Utah getting a NHL team which will change the blackout maps for the surrounding teams, the Kraken moving to OTA, CW/Scripps changes which will result in new subchanels being added, etc. Not to mention Bally potentially losing more teams even if they don't fold which will likely result in more team specific channels being added to DTV.

I am also (always) looking for ideas for new forums here. If you have an idea, and / or would like to moderate your own forum here let me know.. I would be happy to give you the ball and see how far you run with it!
I just had a long conversation with Jimbo, he is having trouble keeping up with all the discounts, offers and coupon codes for streaming services.

Can we possibly get a sub-forum in the Cord Cutters area, so those can post such offers, but without comments, so we can avoid the I hate/love streaming type of posts, which seems to always turn personal.

Do the social influencers actually come here?Such as Tyler and Lon?Or are you just sharing their youtube videos?The reason I ask is I have replied to a couple of threads and want to make sure I'm not talking to thin air so to speak lol.

I point out that YouTubers benefit mightily from discussion traffic within their respective channels. It is not in their best interest to spread themselves around discussing things in other forums (in addition to being an enormous time suck to follow multiple forums).

Reactions: charlesrshell