Sprint Might Impose 5GB Monthly EVDO Cap

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
I can see more and more Telcos doing this as more folks are getting smartphones..

Sprint To Impose 5GB Monthly EVDO Cap - 300MB per month when you're off the network... - dslreports.com

When comparing Sprint and Verizon's EVDO service, Verizon usually came up short, given their 5GB monthly cap, and terms of service that restricts everything but browsing and e-mail. However, with Sprint suffering through a rocky financial stretch, it looks like their CEO has decided that customers were getting too much, for too little. drew directs my attention to a leaked memo posted to the Sprint users forum, which says monthly caps are coming:

Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred and to deny, terminate, modify, or suspend service if usage exceeds 5GB per month in total or 300MB/month while off-network roaming. Check your subscriber agreement rights on Sprint.com.

There's no word yet just how tough enforcement will be. You may have to cross the bandwidth gestapo at Sprint several times during the year in order to have your wrist slapped. Sprint's CEO, in a meeting with employees, apparently told them he believes the caps will only really impact about 1% of their EVDO user base.

I use my data usage a LOT on my phone...even tethering...and never came close to 5 gb. But I'm not downloading torrents, movies, etc over EVDO either.

I do a lot of Slingbox watching on mine (about 1/2 hour a day) but dont know how much data I am using.

This is too bad, I love Sprint because of its data network. This may be a bad move to a company that already has its share of bad PR already.

I am a pretty lightweight user with my Sprint Mogul, but I love their data plan and not having to worry about usage restrictions. The proposed restrictions would only apply to me if they offered a mobile phone with 21" monitor and full size keyboard, but I agree with Scott...Sprint/Nextel has been getting murdered in the market and they surely don't need any more bad press.

Yeah well I think most all cell companies will go this route until they get enough towers and hardware in place to support the growth of SmartPhone use.. But yeah I really like Sprint got my new phone in this past Saturday the HTC Mogul.. :)

It might be time to move to att.. For me I love sprint but The cost is starting to grow to be too much for me. I wish they had the simply everything famliy plan. I would stay with them for that.

It might be time to move to att.. For me I love sprint but The cost is starting to grow to be too much for me. I wish they had the simply everything famliy plan. I would stay with them for that.

Yeah if your contract up soon you should check into Sprints SERO plans that will save you some money there.. It should be better than AT&T plans as well.. :)

Same here on the SERO note. I wouldn't worry about the cap, they are just following in line with the other cell carriers.. Check your usage on the website to see what you have used.

Sprint in my areas sucks big ones. I have Alltel with the same phone as you guys and it has been great for me.

Anyone who read the release read into it that it won't affect us Mogul users? Just those with data cards and thos with PAM accounts?

The evdoinfo.com folks have confirmed this, however it looks like only people who signed up using an SSN are affected, I bought my data service through my own company and its tax-id and apparently we arent getting the same notice when it is being sent...

so far it seems its consumers only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts