OSX El Capitan

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Downloaded the public beta of El Capitan. About a 6 Gb download.

Took around 30 minutes to install. And all seem fine. But trying to type this post is painful in Chrome! The typing is lagging so bad. I'll post this and then switch to Safari. :(

OK, in Safari now and no lag. :)
On first boot EC wants you to login to 'set up iCloud' with your AppleID. It is a slow process that gives no indication as to what is going on but will finally complete. I did my usual then, booted in and just looked, then restarted the computer. I started doing that years ago when I noticed that it sometimes took a 2nd boot with both OS X and Windows.

Tested out Mail, Safari, Chrome and the Office 2016 I downloaded earlier today. All work fine with the exception of Chrome. I need to fiddle with Chrome a bit more to see if it is just because it is the first time to use it with EC. Overall the computer seems snappier, the fonts are just a little fatter and easier on my eyes, and overall the look and feel is just a little changed in a positive way.

The Mail app crashes after a few minutes it turns out. I"m using Outlook 2016 instead and it works just fine.

I got rid of the preferences for Chrome, got a new version of it, but the lagginess is there and horribly bad!

Feedback sent to Apple on both issues.

I think they are getting slammed, so just hang in there.

BTW, the Chrome lagginess I'm seeing is also being seen by some others, but not all are experiencing it.

On the Chrome issue. I had deleted and reinstalled Chrome and was still having issues. Just now I decided to do it again, but this time I used 'clean my mac' which has a version compatible with this Beta OS. After it uninstalled Chrome, I reinstalled and all seems to be good.

Well, here it is, the official release of El Capitan. I figured what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than updating my mid-2011 MacBook Air before I upgrade the family Mac Mini or my iMac 5K Retina. It seems fine, but after I tested my Cisco dual-factor VPN, I found I can no longer answer my iPhone from my MacBook Air. That's not a showstopper, but it was nice to leave my phone in my pocket while I answered and punched in my PIN through the Mac.

Of course, it could be an iOS 9.0.2 issue. It works on outgoing calls, I just don't seem to be able to receive them.

Edit: Time Machine is backing up my Air and it's at a little over 7 GB so far:
Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 5.45.11 PM.png

Last edited:
Installed El Capitain on Friday night. Seriously one of the smallest set of changes i have seen in any of my annual OS X upgrades. Yes, slightly new font. Yes, a new pin feature in Safari, a swipe feature in Mail, and upgrades notes app, but other than those things, my user experience is largely the same. Not a problem, but surprising in some ways.

Haven't had any phone calls as of yet to see if my mid-2011 mba will work with handoff anymore. That feature has come and gone so many times the past year.

Well, here it is, the official release of El Capitan. I figured what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than updating my mid-2011 MacBook Air before I upgrade the family Mac Mini or my iMac 5K Retina. It seems fine, but after I tested my Cisco dual-factor VPN, I found I can no longer answer my iPhone from my MacBook Air. That's not a showstopper, but it was nice to leave my phone in my pocket while I answered and punched in my PIN through the Mac.

Of course, it could be an iOS 9.0.2 issue. It works on outgoing calls, I just don't seem to be able to receive them.

Just tried it out on my 2014 Macbook Pro updated to El Capitan and iPhone calls do ring through to the Macbook.

Just tried it out on my 2014 Macbook Pro updated to El Capitan and iPhone calls do ring through to the Macbook.
Oh, the call rings through, but I couldn't answer it successfully. There's one thing I need to try, but I'm sure it might be a setting somewhere I missed.

Edit: When I was testing before, I still had my Air plugged in to the Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet dongle. I switched it back to using my WiFi and this time it picked up. That makes sense, I guess.

And I just verified it's happy with my VPN, too. Yea!

Edit: When I was testing before, I still had my Air plugged in to the Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet dongle. I switched it back to using my WiFi and this time it picked up. That makes sense, I guess.

:hatsoff2 Ha, I did the exact same thing when I tried. Had the WiFi turned off yesterday when I used the Thunderbolt dongle to do the first Time Machine backup after updating.

I tested out three apps that act as extensions to Photos. That is a nice enhancement. You can click edit on a photo and select the extension you want, and the app loads within photos. Very much like a Photoshop filter. So far it is just MacPhun apps, but hopefully there will be more extensions as time goes on.

Lots of reports that El Capitain and Microsoft Office are not playing well. Apparently Microsoft didn't do the groundwork to make sure that its Office 2016 apps, as well as Outlook 2011 from the older software, are functional under El Capitain.

Considering Microsoft was still using an outdated Installer for the earlier versions of the Mac's Office Suite, this news didn't surprise me. What's weird is the Office 2008 apps on my Macs seems to work just fine.

One thing that I've had issues with is the VPN client for work. I have a 50-50 chance that I'll be able to connect when I start the client, and it usually works right after I reboot. The problem is this is the iMac I run the Folding @Home client on so it's on all the time. There is a newer version available and the release notes says it is fully compatible with El Capitan, but my IT overlords are reluctant to download it since they haven't updated the server side for several years and there is concern the it would violate our licensing.

Considering Microsoft was still using an outdated Installer for the earlier versions of the Mac's Office Suite, this news didn't surprise me. What's weird is the Office 2008 apps on my Macs seems to work just fine.

One thing that I've had issues with is the VPN client for work. I have a 50-50 chance that I'll be able to connect when I start the client, and it usually works right after I reboot. The problem is this is the iMac I run the Folding @Home client on so it's on all the time. There is a newer version available and the release notes says it is fully compatible with El Capitan, but my IT overlords are reluctant to download it since they haven't updated the server side for several years and there is concern the it would violate our licensing.

Gotta hate IT overlords. :)

I had not experienced any problems with the VPN client I use to mount drives. That said, I just clicked on it in the menu bar, and it isn't doing anything. Of course. :(

went to system preferences and was able to connect that way, and clicked display VPN status in menu bar and it went away, rechecked came back normal. Strange...

A warning for anyone running VMware. After upgrading to El Capitan I held off updating VMware Fusion from 7 to 8 to see what would happen. Finally ran into issues yesterday. Some USB devices weren't being recognized by OSX. I figured out it was VMware grabbing on to the device and not releasing it to OSX even though I answered the prompt to mount to OSX. Installed version 8 and all is well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)