OSX Yosemite experiences

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I do not want to jinx this, but man, everything is finally working perfectly. I open up the mac, and it finds and connects to wifi instantly, every time.

Any one having problems with iMessage not sending texts to non-phone numbers after the latest security updates to OS X?

I can only send messages to iPhone users. No longer working for other accounts. SMS-relay seems to be gone. No clue why.

Here is a persistent annoyance with Yosemite. Safari is slow as snot. It has gotten increasingly worse. I will do side by side loads of the same site in Safari and in Chrome, and Safari always lags. It starts to load the page, shows the line go about 20% across the URL bar, and then it just takes its sweet time. I have deleted cache, cookies, etc.. to no avail.

For a browser that is supposed to be super fast, it has become an old dog. Very frustrating because I still prefer its feature-set over any other browser, given the synchronicity with my iOS devices.

Anyone else experience similar issues, or fixes?

Have any of you upgraded to 10.10.3? I ask because I want to confirm that when I do this that although the new Photos app will show up, iPhoto 9.6.1 will remain on my hard-drive. An apple forum says it will, but I'd like some extra confirmation. With four years of photo libraries, numbering hundreds of gigabytes, I am not willing to just dump it quite yet, and there is no way I'll start dumping hundreds of gigs into iCloud Photo library. Nice idea, but it would cost me an arm and a leg.

Have any of you upgraded to 10.10.3? I ask because I want to confirm that when I do this that although the new Photos app will show up, iPhoto 9.6.1 will remain on my hard-drive. An apple forum says it will, but I'd like some extra confirmation. With four years of photo libraries, numbering hundreds of gigabytes, I am not willing to just dump it quite yet, and there is no way I'll start dumping hundreds of gigs into iCloud Photo library. Nice idea, but it would cost me an arm and a leg.

iPhoto is still there. I already migrated to Photos so when I opened iPhoto just now it warned that any changes I made would not show up in the Photos app. Photos asked about iCloud when I opened it the first time and I declined it.

Reactions: rockymtnhigh
iPhoto is still there. I already migrated to Photos so when I opened iPhoto just now it warned that any changes I made would not show up in the Photos app. Photos asked about iCloud when I opened it the first time and I declined it.

Thanks! I'll probably install 10.10.3 later today. Need to do some cleanup on the hard drive first.

I never went to Yosemite but my system has crawled to a halt and it is now asking me every 5 minutes to log onto icloud. Is this the end of iMac?
Don't want to trust my stuff to the cloud, and I will go linux before I cave on this.

I never went to Yosemite but my system has crawled to a halt and it is now asking me every 5 minutes to log onto icloud. Is this the end of iMac?
Don't want to trust my stuff to the cloud, and I will go linux before I cave on this.

Thought there was a fix for extra iCloud logins recently but that was probably for Yosemite. Why not install Yosemite? It was pretty painless as I recall.

All I keep in iCloud is the stuff I sync to iPad and iPhone. Contacts, Calendars, Reminders etc. I do have Dropbox for a few documents.

iCloud is not required for Yosemite. I generally like iCloud. I just know I can't put hundreds of gigs of photos in it.

My problem is Safari, which has become a really lousy browser on my macbook air. Slow to load pages, way too many spinning rainbows. But I don't like any of the alternatives.

I bit on the conversion to Photos. I fell for the "all of your pictures and videos on all your devices" line. Unlike you, Mike, I haven't got as many pictures as you must. iCloud suggested the 200 GB plan. I compromised and clobbered my Internet for a week while my 20 GB iCloud filled up.

I wish Apple would let us pay for a year upfront so I don't feel like this is one more monthly subscription.

Two things: First, I'm taking advantage of the Connectivity features of Yosemite and iOS 8 to type this via my T-mobile cellular connection. Other than T-mobile's Nanny settings on certain sites, it works about as well as my home connection (20 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up, very close to my AT&T U-verse's 24 Mbps/2Mbps benchmark). If I was in an LTE zone I bet it would be even better.

Second, I heard on this week's MacBreak on TWiT that a Bonjour Poisoning bug was uncovered in previous versions of Yosemite that can cause issues with other Apple devices on your LAN, like Macs and Apple TVs, to tag a "(2)" or "(3)" to their names. For example, when I go to AirPlay, I see "Family Room Airport (2)", "Family Room Apple TV (2)", and "Sony Apple TV (3)". The confusion is supposed fixed in OS X 10.10.3, but you have to make your entire Apple universe go dark for five to ten minutes to let the Bonjour caches clear. That means powering down all your iPhones, iPod Touches, AirPorts, Apple TVs, Macs, and any other devices (printers, FAXes, PCs) that have Bonjour enabled.

In my case I would pull the Mains breaker and shut off the UPSes, then bring everything back on-line.

Two things: First, I'm taking advantage of the Connectivity features of Yosemite and iOS 8 to type this via my T-mobile cellular connection. Other than T-mobile's Nanny settings on certain sites, it works about as well as my home connection (20 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up, very close to my AT&T U-verse's 24 Mbps/2Mbps benchmark). If I was in an LTE zone I bet it would be even better.

Second, I heard on this week's MacBreak on TWiT that a Bonjour Poisoning bug was uncovered in previous versions of Yosemite that can cause issues with other Apple devices on your LAN, like Macs and Apple TVs, to tag a "(2)" or "(3)" to their names. For example, when I go to AirPlay, I see "Family Room Airport (2)", "Family Room Apple TV (2)", and "Sony Apple TV (3)". The confusion is supposed fixed in OS X 10.10.3, but you have to make your entire Apple universe go dark for five to ten minutes to let the Bonjour caches clear. That means powering down all your iPhones, iPod Touches, AirPorts, Apple TVs, Macs, and any other devices (printers, FAXes, PCs) that have Bonjour enabled.

In my case I would pull the Mains breaker and shut off the UPSes, then bring everything back on-line.
Interesting... I was wondering about the Apple TV (2), etc... Not a big deal though. Maybe I'll go dark sometime to let it clear the cache. :)

I finally installed the latest Yosemite release, but am not using it to store all my photos to iCloud. The Photos app isn't bad. But not convinced it is much better than iPhoto.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)