OSX Yosemite experiences

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Creating a thread to discuss Yosemite, now that it is out.

The install for me went fine. I was a bit taken aback by the old-school cartoonish colors and fairly dramatic GUI changes. But it is running well. MY one complaint right now is that for all the hype about hand-off and continuity, they made it so it only runs on the latest iOS and OS X hardware. 2011 MacBook Air? iPad 3? Nope. No bluetooth 4.0, no hand-off / continuity candy for you. Annoyed, but I guess not surprised. But not buying a new machine either. Kind of a bummer though.

iCloud drive seems nice though.

Fan is churning away too, but a quick check of Activity Monitor shows mds and mrs_store running at high CPU. I am pretty sure that is just spotlight building a new index. So I'll let that go for a bit.

My 2011 Mac mini has Bluetooth 4.0.

There's a way to verify under the system report.

Is the Bluetooth 4.0 referring to the software version? My 2009 iMac shows software version 4.2

Upgraded my newer MacBook Pro without any trouble. It shows software version 4.3 and it says Handoff Supported. VMware Fusion version 6.0.5 appears to work even though version 7 is supposed to be the one for Yosemite. The new iTunes will take some getting used to.

I may hold off on the iMac until next week. Can't be without Quicken in a VM on this machine.

There is no handoff option in system preferences on the MacBook Air mid-2011 version. The mini might have it. I did searching, and yes, my air runs software 4.x; but it is a specific hard-ware aspect. In system report,

Hardware, Features, and Settings:

Name: Michael’s MacBook Air (2)

Address: 68-A8-6D-05-BB-B3

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

Handoff Supported: No

Instant Hotspot Supported: No

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Transport: USB

Chipset: 20702A3

Firmware Version: v147 c5800

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Off

Connectable: Yes

Auto Seek Pointing: On

Remote wake: On

Vendor ID: 0x05AC

Product ID: 0x821F

HCI Version: 0x6

HCI Revision: 0x16A8

LMP Version: 0x6

LMP Subversion: 0x2293

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Mac Portable

Composite Class Of Device: 0x38010C

Device Class (Major): 0x01

Device Class (Minor): 0x03

Service Class: 0x1C0

Auto Seek Keyboard: On

Notice: Handoff Supported -- NO.

And Apple's website itself says it is only supported on 2012 MacBooks, mini's, iMacs. Sucks. Apparently something to do with wifi and bluetooth

Looks like it may be time to update my 2009 iMac. :computerwindow

I don't think I can justify the new Retina model but I wonder if the prices on the non-retina will come down.

I got it this morning as I couldn't sleep past 5AM for some odd reason. Download took about 20 minutes on a 50Mb internet connection and about 25 minutes to upgrade my 2012 MBPr.

I had the Yosemite public beta so I knew the skinny fonts and very, very, very pale pastel colorings were gonna suck and they do imo. I dislike it enough that I'm most likely gonna sell the MacBook Pro w/Retina and fully shift to Windows 8.1/10. :(

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

You can tweak it a little but I didn't find the tweaks to be enough.

I just looked myself, and didn't see anything to really tweak. What about third-party programs? There have been programs to tweak the GUI dating back a long time, but I don't really have any details.

Ok, I got rid of one annoyance - but using accessibility, reduce transparency. That was driving me nuts as the color in apps kept changing as I scrolled, through things like Messages. My next task was to increase contrast, and while that improved the text in the Safari browser tabs titles, it also made all the buttons in the menu bar more pronounced. Not sure if I like that at all. The icons looked great before, but now it just looks like a really bad GUI. So I dumped it. My eyes are good enough to read the tabs. I am hopeful that if enough people complain, Apple will provide some tweaks, OR third-party developers will provide some alternative tools.

I did notice that one of the add-ons that I rely on ALL the time, Alfred, is no longer necessary for one of its primary tasks. I use Alfred as my launcher. I click Option- Up-arrow, and it brings up a dialog box, and I type in the first letters of an app, and launch from there. Spotlight now does the same thing. Command-Space, brings up Spotlight, type the first letter, and voila, launch an app. Of course, my memory is trained to use the shortcut I created for Alfred.

Spotlight will also work as a calculator on the spot, something Alfred does too. I use Alfred's all the time for quick math.

I am much happier with Yosemite now that iOS8.1 is out. I can now send and receive texts on my Mac and iPad from non-iOS users. And can answer phone calls on my mac. That is very cool, and was the one thing I really wanted.

I also noticed iCloud photos is now on iCloud.com, which is pretty nice.

I am much happier with Yosemite now that iOS8.1 is out. I can now send and receive texts on my Mac and iPad from non-iOS users. And can answer phone calls on my mac. That is very cool, and was the one thing I really wanted.

I also noticed iCloud photos is now on iCloud.com, which is pretty nice.

Does the texting require an iPhone be close by to do it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)