SPS Satellite Programming Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is agood example of the pizza guys brainwashing. This goes back a couple of months ago when I was still in Florida. My next door people decided to get modern and get a new entertainment system. They asked for advice and I pointed them to a Sony 52 inch LCD with 120Mhz. I also told them they needed an OTA antenna to get the best HD.They loved it, then fell victim to the pizza guys. They got a AT9 dish,the installer unhooked the OTA antenna they were sold a HD package with locals. All was good they thought they had the best.They even swore the locals were better looking.Well he is a speed chanell freak and one day he came by while I had a speed feed up. Granted it was a 4.2.2 feed but their symbol rate is fairly low.He was blown away at the quality. I switched to a DVB-S2 feed that was at 54Mbts a second and needless to say I was running a new OTA feed to his TV the next day.He compared the two pictures from the locals and said "They had me convinced this was better". I still can not convince him into a C-Band dish,but now he knows what HD should look like!

That's a good story :D Get him a bud he'll never turn back.

I do not doubt for a second that real master feeds out perform any thing on a cable system or a pizza system.

I do know for a fact that the garbage on G3 is far from master feed quality.

You also say 17 dollars a month is not bad, and try getting that on a cable system.

Right now I pay for the high speed internet offering from our local cable system with out video and that runs 60 a month, paying 19 dollars a month more is only TWO dollars more then I was paying for this garbage on G3, and the the cable system has a better picture.

So lets review.

Are there better pictures on 4DTV, Yes I am sure there are. If I had to guess W5 might be one area, however the one channel I would like to receive isn't offered there.

and
G3 sucks.

Last edited:
People keep saying this, but I never see any pictures to back up their claims.

Is there a website with side by side comparisons of images taken from C-band vs. pizza dish or digital cable?
If there is, help spread the word. If not, somebody needs to make one.

I don't think there is any website but facts are facts. Have you seen the 4DTV SD masters on a HD set than HD lite on Direct tv? If you never compared them that way you need too then be the judge. I know what I see and Im very picky about picture quality.

I have some pictures of 4DTV masters taken from my Sharp AQUOS but there not video captures from Direct video to my PC. It's here:

TvroPro... Scanning the Clarke Belt since 1987

Click on Photo Gallery to see some pictures. The last row I just added last week.

I do not doubt for a second that real master feeds out perform any thing on a cable system or a pizza system.

I do know for a fact that the garbage on C3 is far from master feed quality.

You also say 17 dollars a month is not bad, and try getting that on a cable system.

Right now I pay for the high speed internet offering from our local cable system with out video and that runs 60 a month, paying 19 dollars a month more is only TWO dollars more then I was paying for this garbage on C3, and the the cable system has a better picture.

So lets review.

Are there better pictures on 4DTV, Yes I am sure there are. If I had to guess W5 might be one area, however the one channel I would like to receive isn't offered there.

and
C3 sucks.

C3 looks pretty good on my Sharp Aquos. C4 Looks outstanding!C3 still looks better than Food HD did on my DTV HR20. Hope I got the model right haven't had it in two years.

Also Ikki you may have another problem,and I am not trying to be a smart *ss here. Some HD TV's do a terrible job of upconverting SD to HD. What model TV are you Using?

I do know for a fact that the garbage on C3 is far from master feed quality.

Right now I pay for the high speed internet offering from our local cable system with out video and that runs 60 a month, paying 19 dollars a month more is only TWO dollars more then I was paying for this garbage on C3, and the the cable system has a better picture.

So lets review.

and
C3 sucks.

I think your mis informed here, C3 's masters look quite good. G3 that NPS reuplinks is poor but better the SD pizza. Try looking at Food, GAC, etc (Scripps mux on C3) HBO on G1, Showtime on C3 and G-10, Starz on G1 and G5, ABC Family/ Disney on G5, NBC Universal (USA Sci Fi, Sleuth, Oxygen) on G1 then tell me those suck, they don't and do very well for SD.

Also Ikki you may have another problem,and I am not trying to be a smart *ss here. Some HD TV's do a terrible job of upconverting SD to HD. What model TV are you Using?

He could have a cheap scaler in his tv. My AOUOS does a dynamite job taking 480i SD and scaling/upconverting it to 1080p for me. I use s video from my 922 and it does a hell of a job.

Well, seems that this thread has gotten a bit off track, but the bottom line for me was that I could get an annual subscription of just the channels I wanted for far less than any cable or or mini-dish option out there. On the bright side, my programming is somehow back on-line, even though the SPS site and phone number are still off-line. I just let my 4DTV sit on G1 for a few days, and just as I was getting ready to call NPS, I turned it on and my channels were active again. How long they'll last, nobody knows.

Well, seems that this thread has gotten a bit off track, but the bottom line for me was that I could get an annual subscription of just the channels I wanted for far less than any cable or or mini-dish option out there. On the bright side, my programming is somehow back on-line, even though the SPS site and phone number are still off-line. I just let my 4DTV sit on G1 for a few days, and just as I was getting ready to call NPS, I turned it on and my channels were active again. How long they'll last, nobody knows.

Sorry we got of topic,but on the bright side since they were a nps reseller maybe nps picked it up and all will be fine.Better yet maybe they will stick to the prices until your sub runs out.

Glad your channels are back. If you have trouble again I would call NPS and tell them of the situation. NPS got paid for the services in a round about way and should honor that.

I dont know Ikki. I guess if you are content with the quality/quantity from the CATV service, that's all that really matters. Since you will be subbing to the ISP service anyway, 17 bucks, 19 bucks, it's a wash for that difference, as long as you can get the programming you want at that tier level.

Lot's of IPTV springing up these days too, for those with a high speed service.
I cant get reasonably priced high speed where I am. I'm too far from the CO to get any DSL and Cable doesn't run in the country, so I'm stuck with the outrageously priced G3 based systems, or an equally overpriced sat downlink service. I cant justify the expenditure. I'm old, I dont really need to go that fast.......lol
I wasn't trying to be a wise a$$ either. I am sincerely sad that you didn't have the same positive 4DTV experience as (AFAIK) everyone else I've read about has had. I'm inclined to think you got a lemon 922 or you have issues with your display setup/wireing. Since you seem to be an avid FTA operator, I suspect if you had system issues that would be apparent in some of your other viewing habits.

The problem with the request for side by side pics/clips is that nothing can do it justice without the actual visual experience. After all, all digital media is compressed in one way or another and posting a HQ images/clips would still have another iteration (or more) of compression not present in the in person experience. In the most literal terms, you do have to see it to believe it.

akoutso, glad to here you've got your authorization back. Maybe the folks at the ACC felt sorry for anyone that got left high and dry. I hope you get all you paid for before they cut you off for good.
Sorry for the hijack, but if you've been here long you're likely aware it's a pretty common occurrence, and I am frequently on the 1st page of the list of perpetrators.....:rolleyes:

I noticed in Ikki sig he is only running a six foot dish.Could it be that he is using every bit of FEC to make a picture? I say lets find him a real dish, then let him try his 922 on some of the C3,G1 and C4 programming and see what he thinks. Let us know were you are Ikki, I have a spare Birdview here.

A 6 foot dish don't work too well on C3, G1 and C4 and forget about HBO on G1. Having a 12 I can throw anything at it and it comes out shining.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)