Stab Hh90 Erratic Operation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cheetah85

Jan 16, 2012
Southern West Virgina
I just recently installed a new hh90 motor and am having all kinds of problems right out of the box.

The original motor was a PowerMax sg9120 which I had for 4 years with no problems before I accidentally broke the reset button by pushing it too hard with a paper clip which I am gong to try to repair but that is another story.

The motor is constantly going to x and will not go to the desired satellite when sent from the stb.

Most of the time I have to manually move the motor from the settings menu.

Sometimes it even erratically will just move to x while watching TV without even touching the remote.

Even when it will go to the desired satellite it will immediately go to x and then back to the desired satellite.

I have tried 3 different boxes, viewsat max HD, openbox s9, and an openbox s12, all 3 with basically the same results.

I have tried both USALS and diseqc 1.2 settings...

I have replaced all rg6 connectors and even took a TV, openbox s12, and new 10'ft rg6 cable out to the dish with the same results.

I purchased the motor through Soudan Satellite and contacted Jamal about the problem and he advised me that the Viewsat and Openbox software may not be compatible with the hh90.

This Is really frustrating because I spend more time troubleshooting than watching TV.

I really think the motor may be defective but I thought that I can get extra advice from this forum before I purchase another motor.

I just recently installed a new hh90 motor and am having all kinds of problems right out of the box.

The original motor was a PowerMax sg9120 which I had for 4 years with no problems before I accidentally broke the reset button by pushing it too hard with a paper clip which I am gong to try to repair but that is another story.

The motor is constantly going to x and will not go to the desired satellite when sent from the stb.

Most of the time I have to manually move the motor from the settings menu.

Sometimes it even erratically will just move to x while watching TV without even touching the remote.

Even when it will go to the desired satellite it will immediately go to x and then back to the desired satellite.

I have tried 3 different boxes, viewsat max HD, openbox s9, and an openbox s12, all 3 with basically the same results.

I have tried both USALS and diseqc 1.2 settings...

I have replaced all rg6 connectors and even took a TV, openbox s12, and new 10'ft rg6 cable out to the dish with the same results.

I purchased the motor through Soudan Satellite and contacted Jamal about the problem and he advised me that the Viewsat and Openbox software may not be compatible with the hh90.

This Is really frustrating because I spend more time troubleshooting than watching TV.

I really think the motor may be defective but I thought that I can get extra advice from this forum before I purchase another motor.
Not sure about HH90 compatibility with Viewsat or Openbox as I have never used either receiver. I do know that the HH series of motors from Stab are excellent motors and you rarely hear of problems with them. I did find this thread from a few years back which sounds very similiar to your problem. Coincidently, their motor was purchased from Sadoun as well. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/702862/ What size dish are you using with it? I see your previous motor was an sg9120 which supports up to 120cm dishes but the HH90 only supports up to 90cm.

I am using a WS international ws9036 which is a 36" dish. The thread that you attached is exactly what I am experiencing.

I wish Galaxy Marketing was still in business that way I could have orders another sg9120 motor. I could not find anyone that sells it now except for a company on eBay called Paxlycom that wants $498 for it and there is no way I am paying that for it.

Do you have a switch of any kind between the motor and receiver? I have had strange stuff happen with my SG9120; removed the 22KHz switch that I had installed between the motor and receiver and all was back to normal. Might be something to do with voltage drop or something messing up the diseqc settings when using the switch.
I have the HH120 too for many years, never any problems electronically but one of the mounting tabs did break off in a high wind (60mph+) with the 1.2m dish mounted on it. Now using a 39" dish on that motor after getting the tab welded back on...

If you have a direct line (10'?) from receiver to the motor there should be no issues (other than receiver settings etc), may be a bad circuit board in the motor... too bad to hear about a possible flaw in the Stab motor line... maybe just one defective unit... might have to send it back.

I would agree with Cham, if you are using a multi port switch of any kind on your setup. I still have a Moteck HH motor on my 90cm Ku dish, which worked perfectly fine for months, when it started to suddenly point itself at different satellites erratically. Everything was really jacked up for weeks when I finally went up on the roof to finally figure out the cheap switch I bought 2 months prior would intermittently die; driving the motor all over the place. I guess the summer heat finally got to it. I had to go on Amazon and buy a new heavy duty switch that isn't made any longer. I installed the new switch, realigned and reset everything, (including channels), it's been great ever since! If you have a switch on your setup, start there first, otherwise it could be a bad circuit board on the motor. It's rare, but it happens. I hope this helps. :)

I am using a WS international ws9036 which is a 36" dish. The thread that you attached is exactly what I am experiencing.

I wish Galaxy Marketing was still in business that way I could have orders another sg9120 motor. I could not find anyone that sells it now except for a company on eBay called Paxlycom that wants $498 for it and there is no way I am paying that for it.
User in the thread I mentioned made it sound like the unit wasn't new. It's probably just a faulty unit. I would ask Sadoun for an RMA # to return it and maybe try getting an HH90 from another seller. There are at least two who are members here on the site:

(ke4est) http://www.nc-electronics.com/store.html
(wallyhts) http://gotcband.com/collections/frontpage/products/stab-hh90-hh-motor

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
I had never heard of specific control issues operating with the S9 or any Ali chipset. If that were the case, the hh90 would have issues with the microHD, Manhattan, Amiko and even Sadoun's own Ali STB. :)

I would use the S9 to drive to reference (0) then perform a reset on all positions to erase any DiSEqC 1.2 settings. Power off the S9. Remove the HH90 power for a minute. Reconnect the coax. Repower the HH90 then try using only USALS to test motor movement.

When the motor returns to reference before going to position, this usually indicates DISEqC error. Most STBs issue 22KHz/DiSEqC commands when changing polarity or if signal is weak or lost. A corroded fitting or bad switch are often the cause as other members have pointed out.

Since STAB developed the DiSEqC 1.2 protocol, it should be (and historically is) superior to other motors.

Think that last line should read: Since STAB developed the USALS protocol, it should be (and historically is) superior to other motors.

DISEQC spec developed and is administered by Eutelsat

I had that type of thing happen to me using USALS when I'd by accident set Lat/Long settings wrong, think I had set east instead of west, it was quite a while ago with a X2 receiver. Manually moving to the sat would work but then after a bit the dish would move back to zero. Had a red light flashing on the motor right up until it moved back to zero.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)