Stabbing The Beast

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for the replies!!! It sounds like I can easily live with the HR20. And your right, the installer missing a few details can be easily fixed and I will take care of them.

One more question.

I get 90-100 on satellites:
99c
103c
SWM

I get all zero's on satellites:
99s
103s

Does that sound normal?

Thanks for the replies!!! It sounds like I can easily live with the HR20. And your right, the installer missing a few details can be easily fixed and I will take care of them.

One more question.

99c
103c
SWM

99s
103s

Does that sound normal?

for the 99S and 103s yes

The HR20 has a 300 or 320 GB hard drive and the HR22/23 have 500 GB drives. That's a bit more that "slightly larger". :) However, I find my HR20 does respond a bit faster than my HR23. Hopefully, the next software release will address this problem.

With the ability to replace the drive for very little costs the difference is very small IMO. If you were going from 300 GB to 1TB then I might agree it would be more than slightly larger.

I agree with Jag on this one.

One more question.

99c
103c
SWM

99s
103s

Does that sound normal?

for the 99S and 103s yes

NO

The (s) designates Spotbeam, for your locals mostly, if your in a area that D* handles, I would expect a few of the transponders to have signals in the high 80's and 90's

Where abouts are you in Ohio ?

The install is done with VERY mixed feelings. My appointment was for 8am-Noon, but because of the bad weather the installer did not get here until 2:30 which was understandable. I ordered the HD-DVR receiver but all he had was the much older silver HR20 model (is this a big deal, because it really bugs me and may be a deal breaker, am I missing features with this old model?).
HR20 is probably the best HD DVR by Direct. It has an OTA tuner and it is faster than the others. The HD is a little smaller. Unless you are one of those that like to keep everything you record, this should not be a big deal. I erase everything after I watch it once, so the size of the HD is not that big of a deal too me.

Here is the dish of my new install. As you can see it LOOKS like it is aimed right at my roof. Does this look right? I get upper 80's-98+ on all the signal strengths so I am guessing it is fine. Any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

SatDish.jpg

I'd like to say "Hi" and "Welcome to Directv".

That looks like a good install. Kindof hard to tell at that angle, but everything looks great. Looks like the Dish is pretty much looking over the top of your roof. A whole bunch of snow may pile up (depending upon where you live) and block the signal. This is the first I'd read this forum, and actually the first I've posted. I have 2 HR20-700s and they're great. They're quick and the OTA antenna option is great if there are more locals in your area than carried by Directv.

Did you make sure to process your New Customer Rebate online yet? Sometimes takes a while to post to the account if done after activation.

Have you connected On Demand to the HDDVR? Its a really nice feature, especially when you have Premium Services like Showtime.

Here is the dish of my new install. As you can see it LOOKS like it is aimed right at my roof. Does this look right? I get upper 80's-98+ on all the signal strengths so I am guessing it is fine. Any feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

SatDish.jpg

SINewton,
Your dish looks fine.
The sat signal comes in much higher than it is aimed.
The signal comes down and bounces off the reflector and into the LNB.
It doesn't come in at the angle of the arm.

Jimbo

Thanks Gentlemen! After years of the terribly over-compressed, expensive and limited TWC, I am really enjoying watching TV again!!!

Jimbo, thanks "again" for all the good answers!

jackten, I had no idea about having to activate the rebate until D* called a few days after we signed up online to tell us to do it. Apparently, if we would not of activated the rebate before the installer came out we would of had to wait 6-8 weeks until the rebate would of shown up on our bill. I thought they should of been clear on that issue during the sign-up process as it would of not been a good start.

A big thanks to everyone here at SatelliteGuys for all your help!!!

SatDish.jpg

Sorry it was later than expected and told to you by Direct. Dispatch/tracking didn't give me the job until noon (or so).

Glad to see some of that snow melted off of the roof. I do remember the install. And did feel kind of bad about the HR20 vs. HR21's that we've been getting. As others have posted (I thought I mentioned this as well at the time of the install), the '20 does afford the extra perk of OTA. Hopefully it won't be an issue since you did mention having a ton of OTA related equipment.

Glad it's working out for you thus far. :)

Thanks Gentlemen! After years of the terribly over-compressed, expensive and limited TWC, I am really enjoying watching TV again!!!

Jimbo, thanks "again" for all the good answers!

jackten, I had no idea about having to activate the rebate until D* called a few days after we signed up online to tell us to do it. Apparently, if we would not of activated the rebate before the installer came out we would of had to wait 6-8 weeks until the rebate would of shown up on our bill. I thought they should of been clear on that issue during the sign-up process as it would of not been a good start.

A big thanks to everyone here at SatelliteGuys for all your help!!!

NP :)

I hope you have easy access to your dish to be able to clear the snow off it when needed ....
The only time I have any issues here is when we have a heavy WET snow and it builds up on the reflector.

Where did you say you were in Ohio ?

I hope you have easy access to your dish to be able to clear the snow off it when needed ....
The only time I have any issues here is when we have a heavy WET snow and it builds up on the reflector.

I live in the Portage Lakes (South of Akron).

The dish is in a good spot for maintenance (though the ladder will be required). We had the snow storm last night and the dish has lots of snow on it but the signal strength is holding. The values are all between 75-96.

If need be, I am thinking of trying the Super-Soaker with windshield washer fluid that has deicer in it. Anyone have success with using the Super-Soaker?

I live in MN and I've never had to clean snow off my DIRECTV dish to restore service in the 13 years I've had DIRECTV service.

I live in the Portage Lakes (South of Akron).

The dish is in a good spot for maintenance (though the ladder will be required). We had the snow storm last night and the dish has lots of snow on it but the signal strength is holding. The values are all between 75-96.

If need be, I am thinking of trying the Super-Soaker with windshield washer fluid that has deicer in it. Anyone have success with using the Super-Soaker?
Dont get much snow here, but many on the board have had success with using a super soaker and warm water.

It seems like the only beef you should have is the hole in the wall and the hanging cable. All of that should have been cleaned up.

Are you getting your Cleveland HD channels? You should be seeing some signals on 103s.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. The *only* thing I can think of is the elevation of the slimline up in MN is a lot lower than what we have here in Ohio, and as such the snow has a harder time clinging to a more vertical surface.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. The *only* thing I can think of is the elevation of the slimline up in MN is a lot lower than what we have here in Ohio, and as such the snow has a harder time clinging to a more vertical surface.

Yup, your on to something there.
Elevation here is about 38 or so.
I think when I got to Texas it's close to 60. haven't been there yet this year, so I'm remembering from last year.

My tripod mounted slimline 3 is partially under a snow drift right now, with the LNB and reflector completely coated in snow...I'm still getting mid 80's for everything, which is not enough for me to put on a pair of boots to go knock off the snow! Of course, it is extremely powdery snow, definitely not what I would call 'wet' snow.

If I could eat my words, I WOULD!!

I've only lived in Cleveland for a few weeks now...The sun came out for the first time all week. All of that dry fluffy snow turned to packed, wet, heavy melty snow on the reflector, and BOOM, I literally was watching my HD go away. I put some shoes on and brushed off the wet snow with a broom and voila! HD is back.

Irony? I think so!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts