Standard definition OTA DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wjbarton

Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Does anyone know of a DVR receiver make/model that can be used with DirecTV that can record DirecTV channels AND ota channels, in standard def? I have 3 HR20's and had an HR10, and they do the job very well, but I want a cheapo DVR in the RV that can record OTA. I know I can try to get the DNS waivers, but that's just a real pain because the RV's not in my name - already looked into it.

The R15 doesn't have an OTA tuner, just a pass-through antenna connection that can't be recorded from. I just want something cheaper than the $$$$big number here$$$ HR20/HR21 with 35 or more hours of space for standard def OTA recording.

Thanks!

Sorry, D* has never made such an animal. The only other alternative would be an HD Tivo, that maybe you could get on the cheap. And, if you go to activate it on your account, you will probably be forced to pay the $10 HD fee, even though it doesn't get any of the MPEG4 HD.

I'm not sure what thoes older HD tivos are selling for used, but it will probally be close to what you would pay for a $199 HR-20. The Tivos are more valuable to some as they would be an owned unit, where as the HR20 is a lease upgrade fee.

an older '540' Tivo would do OTA (analog) and Satellite, but it would be single tuner and only able to record from one or the other. You'd need a non-DVR STB for Direct to feed it.

I'm a Tivo fanatic but unless you find a lifetimed box it probably won't be cost effective.

Be aware that the 'new' 542 model single tuner SD Tivos as well as the SD dual tuner model have OTA disabled.

Do the series 3 Tivos support OTA?
Most definitely. The TivoHD does as well. They do both analog and digital. Neither will record from an external box though for the satellite content. They are cable / OTA only.

I have one S3 and one TivoHD recording from both analog cable and ATSC off-air. The other S3 has cablecards and gets all of it's content via Digital Cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts