Standard vs. Universal LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bonscott87

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Can someone educate a newbie and explain the difference?

I *think* that standard uses linear polarity and the universal would do both linear and circular, correct?

Now, what does that mean in terms of channels available?

My understanding is that universal covers a wider range of input frequencies, lo (10.7~11.X) and high band (11.X~12.X), both vertical and horizontal. The regular single lnb only does high band, and maybe a restricted range of the high band. This is where a lot of transmissions are found, so a single will get most but not all of them.

I don't have a universal, but one is on order, so later I wll be able to add to my observations on whether the frequencies I am missing are important or not. One would think that the wider range might make it less sensitive?

Quite how circular polarization fits in with the concept of 'universal' I don't know.

If the above is incorrect I am sure someone else will correct these statements.

standard and universal are linear only, there are lnb's like the invacom qph-031 that can do both linear and circular on the same lnb.

there are very few sats in NA that a universal would have an advantage on, is it 61.0w or 58.0w I cant remember, but its pay services only anyhow, not fta on the lower band.

in euro the universal lnb's are used quite a bit. just not here in NA.

LNB = Low Noise Block converter
LNBF = Low Noise Block converter & Feedhorn
Wikipedia has a long discussion of the subject.

In reference to Ku band FTA or the pay TV satellites, we often use (incorrectly) the term LNB when we mean LNBF.
It's just slang.

The C-banders almost always use the term LNB to mean just that: an LNB alone
It needs to be bolted to a feedhorn to work.
That's the traditional way those systems have been built for 30 years.
Lately, LNBFs for C-band have appeared on the market.

Last edited:
Universal LNB's have a low and high band. As noted above, the only satellite that needs the low band is 58W for Fidelvision (Cubavision)

Universals are almost a must in Europe

Off the shelf Standard type LNBFs usually feature a higher gain with less noise as compared to a similar LNBF that is the Universal type.

Standard type LNBFs have a narrower frequency range of reception and the LNBF is tuned for optimum performance with the smaller bandwidth.

Also be aware that many LNBFs that are being currently sold on the market are not low noise 0.3 or 0.2dB NR as they advertise. The majority of 0.3 or 0.2dB NR LNBFs that are being sold are really a relabeled 0.5 or 0.6dB NR done so for advertising and competitive sales. There are many other factors that are more important to providing adequate gain and stability for the reception of satellite signals. Unfortuantely, the marketing is currently focusing only on the noise ratio.

When choosing the manufacturer of our LNBFs, SatelliteAV performed tests of many available brands and found a majority of the units to be falsely labeled. We will not share the brands or models of these units, but I would encourage an independent tester (outside of the supply chain) to perform LNBF tests and provide a comparison chart. We found some popular LNBFs to be producing harmonics that severely degraded moderate to strong signals in the middle of the band and several to be mislabeled with major variations outside the tolerances listed on the product!

While we do experience failures on our products, we just don't trust the labels that are offered to be printed by manufacturers or brokers. The inside joke on product specifications is, "what do you want printed?"!!! LOL!!!!

That's good to know! I have several LNBs anf have had good luck with Fortec Universal .3db and .4db ones and the Sadoun Standard .4db. I hear the Invocom and Extremes are good too.

Off the shelf Standard type LNBFs usually feature a higher gain with less noise as compared to a similar LNBF that is the Universal type.
Thanks for the information. I never knew this.
Also be aware that many LNBFs that are being currently sold on the market are not low noise 0.3 or 0.2dB NR as they advertise. The majority of 0.3 or 0.2dB NR LNBFs that are being sold are really a relabeled 0.5 or 0.6dB NR done so for advertising and competitive sales.
I've alway wonder if these claims were too good to be true. Now I know. Thanks again.

Universal LNB's have a low and high band. As noted above, the only satellite that needs the low band is 58W for Fidelvision (Cubavision)

Don't forget Nahuel 1A @ 72.0

I only get this sat during the colder months and mostly marginal quality, but I still get it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.