Star Trek Discovery

Damit. I am sick of this pre Kirk stuff

The whole issue is that everything is limited by the previous series, and you have to be very careful about the existing time line.

Then everytime they do something different, they have to do it in such a way so it's not interfering in the future storyline which has already been written.

Pretty soon, there won't be a star fleet, we will be talking about NASA.

Here is an idea, go to the 26th century time line they briefly introduced in voyager. Very least continue it where voyager left off.

I want to see admiral Janeway.

Did anybody catch the "Admiral Halsey" line (Paul McCartney song) reference in the Orville preview? lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Albert/Admiral_Halsey

Admiral Halsey notified me
He had to have a berth or he couldn't get to sea
I had another look and I had a cup of tea and butter pie
"Butter pie?"
(the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie)

So...is this Discovery series really, actually, going to happen now...or is this just the lead-in to the next delay?

The "Discovery" Klingons looked like something between Next Gen's plowed-brow and the J.J. Abrams rebooted Klingons. Which Star Trek Universe are we in?

(Unless the last episode before launching the Constitution class star ships goes something like "the Lead Design Engineer is in to 1960s-retro design (like Steampunk, but not as detailed) with readouts that look mechanical but are actually quite sophisticated to be able to pull off the retro look."

But CBS All-Access is not on my radar. I had it before I got my Hopper 3 as a way to watch CBS shows that I missed on my 722, but with the PrimeTime AnyTime that's not an issue anymore. If they charged $2.99/mo I might consider it, but they want Hulu/Netflix prices, and I'm sorry, I don't consider All-Access worth the extra $$.

The "Discovery" Klingons looked like something between Next Gen's plowed-brow and the J.J. Abrams rebooted Klingons. Which Star Trek Universe are we in?

(Unless the last episode before launching the Constitution class star ships goes something like "the Lead Design Engineer is in to 1960s-retro design (like Steampunk, but not as detailed) with readouts that look mechanical but are actually quite sophisticated to be able to pull off the retro look."

But CBS All-Access is not on my radar. I had it before I got my Hopper 3 as a way to watch CBS shows that I missed on my 722, but with the PrimeTime AnyTime that's not an issue anymore. If they charged $2.99/mo I might consider it, but they want Hulu/Netflix prices, and I'm sorry, I don't consider All-Access worth the extra $$.

It's the original series Kirk and friends timeline, 10 YEARS before their series takes place.

That's what I thought. This has the same issues that "Enterprise" has: the ship and equipment is too advanced compared to the Original Series. Something needs to come along and explain why Kirk's Enterprise is so primitive compared to what came before.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don't like the pre-Kirk stuff. I don't like that the trailer looks more Star Wars than Star Trek. I don't like the protagonist being the first officer. I don't like that this is a "third timeline" seperate from the current movies and the other TV series. We are approaching DC comics "multiverse" levels.

But mostly I don't like paying $7/month for this, one other show (in which I have no interest) and reruns.

Two points, neither are my own original ideas, picked up on the internet somewhere:

- Klingons. The ST:TNG explination is dumb. Like Rome, the Klingon Empire is an inclusive society, with conquered races adopting the culture, language, religion, etc of the home world. Eventually thinking of themselves a "Klingons" despite not being of Klingon ethnicity. The Federation was just first encountering the Klingons in Kirk's time, so thus the first contacts were with the outermost races, who happened to be somewhat human looking. By Picard's time much more was known, and they were encountering Klingons from the Klingon home world.

- NSA. If someone wanted to catch every hacker geek ever, a better trap that "new Star Trek material behind a rediculiously priced paywall" cannot be imagined.

Wait until the entire Discovery series finishes airing for the season. Pay for 1 month of CBS All Access, and marathon 'on-demand" them. Cancel CBS All Access until a possible (I think doubtful, unless it goes to network tv) season 2.

I don't like the pre-Kirk stuff. I don't like that the trailer looks more Star Wars than Star Trek. I don't like the protagonist being the first officer. I don't like that this is a "third timeline" seperate from the current movies and the other TV series. We are approaching DC comics "multiverse" levels.

But mostly I don't like paying $7/month for this, one other show (in which I have no interest) and reruns.

Two points, neither are my own original ideas, picked up on the internet somewhere:

- Klingons. The ST:TNG explination is dumb. Like Rome, the Klingon Empire is an inclusive society, with conquered races adopting the culture, language, religion, etc of the home world. Eventually thinking of themselves a "Klingons" despite not being of Klingon ethnicity. The Federation was just first encountering the Klingons in Kirk's time, so thus the first contacts were with the outermost races, who happened to be somewhat human looking. By Picard's time much more was known, and they were encountering Klingons from the Klingon home world.

- NSA. If someone wanted to catch every hacker geek ever, a better trap that "new Star Trek material behind a rediculiously priced paywall" cannot be imagined.
In Enterprise, Capt. Archer and the crew traveled to the Klingon home world in the first episode and had many interactions with Klingons during the series. They explained the Kirk-era Klingons as mutants from a viral attack.

I don't like that this is a "third timeline" seperate from the current movies and the other TV series. We are approaching DC comics "multiverse" levels.

I have actually read that this is set in the same "prime" universe as the original tv and movies are.

The $7 is the least my concerns. I
Will gladly pay it for Star Trek.

I miss my Kate Mulgrew, captain janeway
I've loved Kate Mulgrew since she played on Ryan's Hope on ABC back in the 70s as Mary Ryan. Loved her as a captain on Voyager and continue to watch her as Red on Orange is the New Black.