Star Trek Discovery

Season 2 premier last night. Off to a decent start, had a different feel than last season, and the question of why Pike needed Discovery was answered.

Well, the spore drive is back, although that does not surprise me, and I expect it to hang around for most of the series before we get an explanation as to why it never went into widespread usage.

This weeks episode was very fast paced, and interesting. I am really liking the addition of Pike here, and Mount does IMO a good job of playing the part.

Reactions: norman881
Well, the spore drive is back, although that does not surprise me, and I expect it to hang around for most of the series before we get an explanation as to why it never went into widespread usage.
Because by then the copyright lawsuit was settled and star fleet was forced to retire it and pay damages to the descendants of the guy who made the Tardigraves game. ;)

I have found a haven in the muck of dreck. The comments are more entertaining and enlightening than the show.

HAIL TO YOU ALL! Doomcock is amazed to see how unwisely CBS has allowed all ye who have gathered here the chance to publicly voice your feelings about STD at last. The comments section may not be open long, so I advise everyone to be honest and sincerely voice your opinions, pro or con. I believe CBS may be ready to listen to you now. CBS, as for MY opinion, Star Trek Discovery is a DISGRACE. It is a perversion of everything Star Trek stood for in the past, and a betrayal of Gene Roddenberry's vision of a bright and optimistic future. This show is not merely bad Trek, it is terrible entertainment, so filled with nonsense and logical lapses it is an insult not merely to viewers, but to human cognition. It is long past time to end this miserable show, get rid of the people making it such a public embarrassment, reunify your company, make Trek whole, disavow this abomination as the work of Q, and start again. There are still fans who care, but you are killing them off as surely as you are killing Star Trek. You are truly running out of time, if indeed any time remains. Stop this madness. Respect your fans. And restore Star Trek to its former glory.

I have found a haven in the muck of dreck. The comments are more entertaining and enlightening than the show.
I've seen a few of Doomcock's videos. He's pretty entertaining. It was on one of his video's that I found out about CBS putting up the episode.

The show-runners KNOW the fans feeling about ST:STD, but they are constrained by multiple licensing issues across several companies to change certain things just enough to NOT infringe on some TOS rights.

Being that, THAT'S exactly why they are pretty much running this series out, and going with the new "Picard" series.

LOL, I just read some of the comments... They are REALLY trashing it. I wonder if the comments will "accidentally" fall into the mirror universe soon, and vanish...

Since CBS isn't publicly disclosing the exact numbers, a couple of different sources are estimating based on their insider information that Discovery is getting roughly 300k-500k viewers per episode.

That's about what Syfy gets on average for their programs... except Syfy doesn't spend $10 million producing a single episode of a show. Needless to say, I think you're right PrimeStar. I have a feeling Discovery will end after this season, and CBS will say it was a "limited series event" instead of a cancellation due to low viewership.

As for the Picard series, which is also being called a limited series as well, it'll probably do about the same in viewership if CBS decides to again lock it behind their paywall. Star Trek needs to air on network television. Even if it's on a Saturday night, it would get way more viewers than putting it on a niche SVOD service that forces you to pay money, and then pay even more money to get rid of commercials. How many times does CBS air repeats of their non-science-fiction shows like Big Bang Theory or Hawaii Five-O or Magnum PI? You're telling me you can't find 1 hour out of 168 every week on your schedule to show 1 episode of Star Trek? Come on. Use your brain CBS.

Reactions: TheKrell
By the way, I have to post this, because this sounds ridiculous, but if it's true... well, what do you guys think?

Apparently, some rumors have been flying the past few days claiming that the "Red Angels" in Season 2 are different Spocks from different Star Trek timelines/universes, and the Discovery timeline Spock (whom we've yet to see) is having mind-melds with these other versions, trying to help re-merge all of the timelines -- Kelvin, prime, etc -- back into one actual "prime" timeline. Meanwhile, the Romulans are somehow involved in messing with the timeline using "Red Matter" from the 2009 Star Trek movie, explaining why Discovery is so dark and grim and dystopian. And somehow this all ties into the Picard series dealing with the Romulans, because Discovery's Season 2 finale supposedly has a ship appearing from the future, with Admiral Picard delivering a message to the Discovery crew.

Oh, and supposedly this is being done in an attempt to bring the franchise back together, because the rebooted Kelvin-timeline movies have been cancelled, so now they want to just focus on one timeline.

I don't know if this is true or not. It sounds very detailed as a rumor. Then again, I find it very hard to believe that the Discovery writers are intelligent enough to even think about pulling something like this off correctly.

If true, I just hope I don't have to familiarize myself with the alternate universe in order to appreciate getting back to prime and Gene's original vision. I haven't watched any trek since Enterprise.

Reactions: TheKrell
Tonight’s episodes showing that Klingons can indeed look different , much like humans. Some in the episode look very similar to the second interpretation of the species. Some still look like the latest. One still more favors the original series interpretation.

Not finished yet, but enjoying the episode and the second season immensely.